Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ignored downshifts ...  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Davy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: '12 White Roadie
Ignored downshifts ...
« on: May 07, 2018, 12:28:23 PM »
I've had my 2012 roadie for 2 years now, and shifting gears has always been faultless. Last weekend i did a 500km daytrip, and in the last 200km's i noticed that sometimes my downshifts were being ignored. In order to get it down a gear, i had to make the shifting movement slow and deliberate. I had it a couple of times, but today the problem seems gone (the daytrip was quite a spirited ride)

Is this a signal of worse to come?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 12:30:08 PM by Davy »

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Ignored downshifts ...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 12:41:29 PM »
You probably need to take the clutch cover off and look at that end of the selector shaft.
There are two possible problems you could find, a broken return spring or the selector pin has parted company with the selector
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XC,CB1300,Lverda
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 01:09:58 PM »
Make sure your oil level is right and not too close to replacement date.
Check clutch cable  freeplay.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline Maxrock

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 11:38:46 AM »
Noticed mine started doing this yesterday, oil level all good. Only got the bike in January so maybe I'll take it back into the dealer to have a look, its a 2013 roadie.

Offline Davy

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 05:50:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Maxrock [+]
Noticed mine started doing this yesterday, oil level all good. Only got the bike in January so maybe I'll take it back into the dealer to have a look, its a 2013 roadie.

Im calling my dealer about this tomorrow (i can change an oil filter but ill leave this to the more skilled mechanics :) ) Any news on your part?

Offline Maxrock

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 02:31:54 PM »
Mine seems to have stopped doing this but its probably down to me changing the way I down shift after reading another post about this issue, it only seems to do it when I come to a complete stop still in a higher gear, if I drop down through the box as I decelerate there is no problem....I guess it was down to me being lazy with the gears and trying to block shift.

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 03:39:17 PM »
Mine seems to have stopped doing this but its probably down to me changing the way I down shift after reading another post about this issue, it only seems to do it when I come to a complete stop still in a higher gear, if I drop down through the box as I decelerate there is no problem....I guess it was down to me being lazy with the gears and trying to block shift.

That's a fairly normal characteristic with a motorcycle gearbox

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Turbo100

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 17 Tiger 800 XRt
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 04:49:41 PM »

Mine has done this from day one and it seems its perfectly normal. I only notice it when for some reason I haven't downshifted through the box before I come to a standstill and its still in a higher gear.
I'm Not As Old As I Once Was !!

Offline Davy

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 04:58:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Turbo100 [+]
Mine has done this from day one and it seems its perfectly normal. I only notice it when for some reason I haven't downshifted through the box before I come to a standstill and its still in a higher gear.

Yes, what you describe is normal (on any motorycle), but that is not what we are talking about here. This is while driving ...

Anyway, when i explained it to the dealer he immediately suspected what the issue was, and i think he referred to the same part Rtwo was talking about. The next day he confirmed it was the case, part is ordered. Shouldnt be that expensive to fix ...

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 05:07:06 PM »
I guess that it depends on what you call expensive
There was someone here charged 450 to replace the shaft

Recent Topics