Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: White connector under the seat  (Read 6235 times)

Offline Stelyn

• Tiger Master
  • 2018 XRx
  • Bike: Tiger XRX
Re: White connector under the seat
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2018, 01:11:50 PM »
My`Sat-Nav'  is also wired into this socket -same fitting, and live when ignition on..... :028:
`Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with  its head out of the car window '

Offline Flyfifer

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2019, 06:48:21 PM »
 :152: number14 many thanks for your investigation of the white plug.
I took a 12v feed from there to switch a Mark's Parts "relay" box
  https://www.marksmotorcycleparts.co.uk/product-page/5-way-switched-fused-power-outlet-1#

to provide power for aux light/ sat Nav on a friend's bike today.
I used a female pin from a Tamiya connector to slide into the plug male.
Pin as per this item https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-Male-Female-Gold-Plated-Plug-Connectors-Battery-ESC-MULTILISTING-UK/142900822204?var=&hash=item21458d80bc
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 07:33:17 PM by Flyfifer »

Offline Cadence

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 XCx
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2019, 11:01:05 AM »
Thanks for the information everyone - just the job for my power needs.

Btw I found this UK supplier that can offer all the components separately including blanking bungs, and black wire inserts that should be a good size for most bike accessory wires.

Looks like they only offer grey male plugs however Ill be swopping back to the factory fit white plug when I sell the bike so not bothered.

http://www.automotiveconnectors.com/6-way-sumitomo-mt-series-connector-female.html
2018 Tiger XCx, KTM690 Enduro R, KTM400EXC Factory, BMW R1200GS Adv, BMW G650GS, 1953 Norton ES2 500, 1953 Norton Model 50, KTM640 Duke 2, Harley Davidson FDFX, Honda XR400R, Kawasaki Z900, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki KE125, Suzuki AS50

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2019, 03:24:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by infoinfo [+]
Its intended use is for a future accessory. Battery, Ignition, Ground, CAN+, CAN-

Methinks this poster has got it right, and I suspect this connector block is for turn-by-turn navigation using Google.
I've used the connector block for my TomTom, and therefore it doesn't bother me, as I doubt I'll ever use the Triumph/Google navigation.
I'd rather have a proper sat nav than the weak turn-by-turn setup.
And to use the Triumph/Google navigation, you'll need a software upgrade (free) and a dongle - price to be announced.

Offline sprint

• Tiger Member
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2019, 02:52:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]
I ended up buying these connectors from eBay - item number 282103009944.
The holes in the seals were far too large (blue), but fortunately I had some smaller seals (green).
If you need the smaller seals, then it may be worth contacting the seller.
They crimped on easily, and fit directly into the socket supplied on the bike:

My sat nav (TomTom Rider 450) now switches on with the ignition.

When fitting the female pins into the plastic connector are they polarised so that they only be fitted one way?

Also what is the locking mechanism for the pins into the connector as I do not see any 'barbs' that latch but then allow you to remove the pins later? Don't want to start pushing any pins in without knowing the right way they go or that you can remove them if you screw it up?

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2019, 03:05:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by sprint [+]
When fitting the female pins into the plastic connector are they polarised so that they only be fitted one way?

Also what is the locking mechanism for the pins into the connector as I do not see any 'barbs' that latch but then allow you to remove the pins later? Don't want to start pushing any pins in without knowing the right way they go or that you can remove them if you screw it up?

I'm going from memory here, but IIRC there are barbs in the connector block that dig into the terminals:

This is the underside of the terminals, and you can see the cut-outs to house the barb.
When installing, don't forget to place the seals on the wire before crimping.

Offline sprint

• Tiger Member
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2019, 04:01:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]
I'm going from memory here, but IIRC there are barbs in the connector block that dig into the terminals:

This is the underside of the terminals, and you can see the cut-outs to house the barb.
When installing, don't forget to place the seals on the wire before crimping.

Thanks for the reply.

I take it that the pins can only go in one way then and once fitted will not be easily removed afterwards?

The orange seals supplied with my connector kit are far too large to seal against the TomTom lead itself, but will probably compress within the cable tags on the end of the pins. Do not see that a water tight seal is necessary but will press some silicon grease into the ends of the connector to seal the ends for good measure.

Offline Gleekzorp

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 800XCx
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2019, 10:03:15 PM »
Thanks #14, really helpful post! Got the plug from electrodart.co.uk, got the wire from the GPS to the back of the bike (a bit of trial and error) but works like a charm!

Does anyone know if there is a fuse between the 12V of the battery and the "white connector"? Can't find a decent copy of the electrical diagrams of my 2018 XCx...

Offline DisqoG

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800XRx
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2019, 02:31:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Number14 [+]
There isn't an alarm connected.  The alarm connection block is at the bottom of the screen with it's feedback loop intact.

The USB connector is at the top of the image.

The white plug comes from the same harness as the alarm connector but doesn't go anywhere.

I can't test for power as I don't have a multimeter so cant check if it's live with or without ignition or engine running.

BETTER than a multimeter: there are a number of inexpensive probe type go/no-go lightbulb testers. Alligator clip to one side (usually N) and probe point to locate live points.
These run about 6-8 inches.
I have a 12v bulb that came with 2 leads (Radio Shack) a bit short but hey I can always add another length.
If you cant find it go for the smallest 12 or even 24 v INCANDESCENT bulb WITH a pigtail socket. Pull the leads through the top of a small Rx vial and screw the bottle over it - Voila.

Offline DisqoG

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800XRx
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2019, 08:20:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by DisqoG [+]
BETTER than a multimeter: there are a number of inexpensive probe type go/no-go lightbulb testers. Alligator clip to one side (usually N) and probe point to locate live points.
These run about 6-8 inches.
I have a 12v bulb that came with 2 leads (Radio Shack) a bit short but hey I can always add another length.
If you cant find it go for the smallest 12 or even 24 v INCANDESCENT bulb WITH a pigtail socket. Pull the leads through the top of a small Rx vial and screw the bottle over it - Voila.

I just pulled ignition controlled Pos from the Green wire going into the white Alarm Connector sent it through a 3Amp ATM in-line fuse holder to actuate a power relay for my add-on toys.
I used a 6 position ATM Fuse Block with a clear snap cover - which BTW I wound up having to relocate loosely under the front/rear seats crossbrace because there just wasnt enough room anywhere else. Plan to possibly revise circuit fuse-block to inline fuse holders, which will be so much easier to lay in the cavity, with next electrical project probably Saddleman seat heaters.

Recent Topics