Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Travel Insurance for New Zealand.  (Read 751 times)

Offline eccyboway

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Travel Insurance for New Zealand.
« on: May 11, 2018, 12:14:40 PM »
I am planning to ship my bike to New Zealand next February for a months tour, does anybody have recommendations for Travel Insurance bearing in mind that I am a senior citizen riding a motorcycle?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Tiger Master
Re: Travel Insurance for New Zealand.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 12:29:12 PM »
When you say "Travel Insurance", do you mean for you or the bike ? For clarity what are you looking to insure ?  :038:
Need Support ? Post issues in this section: Forum Help / Issues / Problems
Alternatively, pm me about private or commercial issues/questions.

Offline lanerider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 01:41:45 PM »
it must be cheaper to hire there surely

Offline eccyboway

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 02:19:26 PM »
Not much in it when you need a bike for more than three weeks, and I would still require Travel Insurance,  and I mean Normal Travel insurance as you have when you go on holiday abroad, but that still covers me if I am riding a motorbike and I am 67. A lot of polices have age limits and if they allow you to ride a bike it is usually restricted to under 125cc.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 04:43:25 PM »
When I was there I arranged with a dealer to do a buy back, however it was a while ago now and I was there for several months. Personally i wouldn't ship my bike over, just too much could go wrong. Any delay of a week or two will scupper your trip and you'll spend two weeks walking round Auckland (nice as it is).
Need Support ? Post issues in this section: Forum Help / Issues / Problems
Alternatively, pm me about private or commercial issues/questions.

Offline Tiga1050

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: White 800 XRX
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 07:57:12 PM »
Try Voyager Travel Insurance, 01483 806680.
They took over Worldwide Travel Insurance Services who I had used for the last 10 years or so for trips to Canada / USA.
I'd just ring up, quote the previous policy number and ask for the same cover again.
Voyager provided me with similar cover last year, 64 years old, no motorcycle capacity restriction but didn't cover off road use.
A pre-existing medical condition was also included.
Not sure if it will work for you but worth a try.

I've no idea about how you would arrange motor insurance your own bike.

Good luck. I still hope to get to do a road trip in NZ before I get too old!

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 07:47:37 AM »
I have a 2015 XCX for sale in Auckland that is in excellent condition.  You could buy that from me and sell it on afterwards.   :152:
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline wrinks

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRT
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 04:19:32 PM »
If shipping your bike to NZ it must be absolutely spotless. The slightest trace of dirt or mud and customs will have it cleaned and charge top dollar for doing so. They are very hot on bio security.
Having just come back from a month there I can't wait to go back. Next time I will get a bike from somewhere the road are
amazing, unfortunately I only had 4 wheels this time. 
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline eccyboway

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 07:29:55 PM »
Yes, I am aware of the bio-security issues.  The shipping has been organized by the Triumph Owners club, with the main aim to attend the WATOC rally, so has been well investigated by the TOC. This is my only bucket list must do, nearly went back in 2007, but had to take early retirement and couldn't afford it then. Can't really afford it now but going anyway.

Offline Bassman

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger XCx
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 09:49:57 PM »
eccybowy,
                I was looking at doing at what your doing but in reverse and the advice I got from people much wiser than me was don't.Unless your doing the big RTW its a lot easier just to rent a bike and you your hassles insurance etc are taking care of.And has been stated our bio security is OTT.As much as I hate to say it the orange enemy (KTM)  :001: Rent bikes out for their KTM Rallye they have here each year.Might be worth investigating .Theres also a couple of hire companies in Christchurch that rent adventure bikes for the purpose of well adventuring .ie they don't mind you taking them over the Old Dunstan trail ,Nevis range back country stations/farms etc.

Recent Topics