Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Brake Pin Woes  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Turbo100

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 17 Tiger 800 XRt
Re: Brake Pin Woes
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 09:00:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by taff [+]
That's exactly what they are, a secondary locking (i.e. safety) device there to stop the pins falling out if they loose their torque. Losing your pads at speed really is not something you want to do. I absolutely would not fit the pins that are photographed above that does not have the secondary locking, christ, I wouldn't even fit pads to my mountain bike without the little locking clip on the end of the pin.
These are what I recently fitted:
3 Stainless pins 11.85 (3.95 each) beautiful quality free P&P
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S-Steel-Nissin-Caliper-Pad-Pin-M10-x-1-0mm-pitch-60mm-overall-length-5-8mm-S/302401455728?hash=item4668880670

3 Stainless caps 7.50 (2.50 each) free P&P
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSIN-STAINLESS-STEEL-CALIPER-BRAKE-PAD-PIN-SCREW-CAP-BRITISH-Made/253533478892?hash=item3b07c5dfec:g:2t8AAOSwC81awLv1
I'm Not As Old As I Once Was !!

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 09:12:09 PM »

exacly the same ones that I fitted to mine   :028:

Offline dazza76

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 11:27:43 AM »
Just ordered the same pins for mine to save any future drama's.

Hopefully the OP can remove their bolt with by hammering in a suitable sized torx, usually a good result for rounded off allen key bolts.

Offline Turbo100

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 17 Tiger 800 XRt
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 11:58:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by dazza76 [+]
I think you will be well impressed with the pins, real top quantity and worth every penny.
I'm Not As Old As I Once Was !!

Offline biscut1975

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 08:14:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Turbo100 [+]
I think you will be well impressed with the pins, real top quantity and worth every penny.

Ordered pins and caps so waiting for them to come through. Also ordered a spline drive socket set so hopefully this weekend i should be able to get the bugger out :)

thank you very much for all the advice everyone has posted, will let you know how much swearing....errr...i mean time it takes to get the thing out

Offline biscut1975

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2018, 09:16:27 PM »
Ok, just to close the thread...even with hammering in the spline drive socket the bugger didnt move, took it to RAD in Northampton and he did the same as me but was braver in using a blow torch to heat up the caliper for a few seconds...got the blasted thing out finally and put the new pin in for me

Have to say I wouldnt have been brave enough to use a blow torch on the caliper so glad he did it !! :-) Just need to wait for the new pads and discs to come through and I can do it all again ;-)

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 06:15:32 AM »
I'd want to change the piston seals after using a blow torch on the caliper.
They could well be just fine but if you have it to bits, you may as well do the seals

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Gasman

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2018, 09:04:35 AM »
If anyone is interested I have a full set of calipers fully working with removable pins for sale. I have just changed mine for black ones so have a spare set. Will put them in the for sale section when I get round to it.

Offline ccmp

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2013 800 xc
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 10:35:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by dazza76 [+]

Hopefully the OP can remove their bolt with by hammering in a suitable sized torx, usually a good result for rounded off allen key bolts.

On reading this thread. I ordered these last week. Delivered and fitted. Thanks to the forum.

Offline biscut1975

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 11:42:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
I'd want to change the piston seals after using a blow torch on the caliper.
They could well be just fine but if you have it to bits, you may as well do the seals

Hi RTwo, will have a look at them when I get the discs and pads through, as you say if its all in bits might as well replace them too. Thanks for the thought.

Recent Topics