Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Insurance renewal time problem  (Read 935 times)

Offline Ukhornet

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
Insurance renewal time problem
« on: May 18, 2018, 11:00:00 PM »
Hi all,
my existing policy with bennetts  is due to end soon, but they've just told me that they cant insure me again as they dont have an underwriter thats willing to cover the bikes in the garage that i rent from the council which is just up the road.
Tried getting a quote from Hastings and again was told sorry, we cant offer you any policy.
So far Carol Nash and flux are the only quotes ive managed to get at 1050 & 890. (paid 330 last year for my versys 650 & vespa 300, but had to pay another 300 to swap versys for new tiger 800)
Multi bike policy with new tiger 800 XR and Vespa 300 GTS, both on 5000 miles per year. Been riding for 2 years with 2 yrs no claims but a no fault accident in March that other parties have paid out for.
What are other people doing that dont own a garage. Surely it not an option to just insure them parked on the street.
Scomadi tl125, Aprillia Pegaso, Kawasaki Versys 650, Vespa 300 GTS, Lexmoto Oregon, Triumph Tiger 800XR

Offline Bilbad

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrx
Re: Insurance renewal time problem
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 04:24:26 PM »
My Bonneville was insured but had to be in a garage. I can't get it past my camper van, so putting it away every night was a real pita. When I bought my Tiger I called Bennetts and said how difficult it was to get the bike in and out of the garage and could they change it when they changed my insured bike. I said the Tiger had an immobiliser, that I had a ground anchor with an Oxford chain through the rear wheel, the bike is fitted with a steering lock,  that I had a good Oxford disc lock on the front and the bike was Datatagged. I was told that they only take 2 anti-theft devises into account, and gave me a very decent price, but I can't remember how much. I called Bennetts 3 weeks ago and went through all the modifications that had been made to the bike. Some were by the previous owner which I only discovered after reading through the forum and general searching on the internet, plus all the stuff that I've done. I was told it had to go to the underwriters and they would get back to me. They duly called back 2 hours later and told me the premium was unchanged but I had to pay 30 odd quid as a service fee. Not a problem, I was very happy. My renewal advice came through from Bennetts yesterday, except it wasn't a renewal, it was a "Sorry, we can't get a price through our panel of insurers, as we need to speak to you first" kind of thing. I called them yesterday but they were busy so they said they would call me back within 24 hours. They called today and explained that they need information of any mods carried out? I explained what happened 3 weeks ago but they still needed to check some things. So I went through it all again and they said they would call me back by Friday, latest. They called again this afternoon and quoted me fully comp, 90 days abroad, breakdown, legal, leathers & helmets. I told the girl that I had personal breakdown cover, which covers me and my wife, in any vehicle, belonging to me or her, or not. I was told yeah, but, I was getting all the extras for 60 and if I declined the breakdown cover, the price would go UP! I was quoted 223.54, which I'm extremely happy with.

Mods: Trekker Outback panniers and top box, Steelmate TPS, front fender extender, rear hugger, Nitron fully adjustable rear shock, Andriani fork inserts, New screen, GPS mount, Givi tank bag with electrics, engine crash bars, rad guard, ally sump guard and Comfort seat(s).

Offline grunty-motor

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XCA
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 07:29:27 AM »
Ask for a quote where you keep the bike on the street or your front garden - you might be surprised!

Offline Tigermainia

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRx
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 09:27:38 AM »
Have you tried Bikesure for a quote.  :152: :031:
From '61 to present - BSA C12, Royal Enfield Crusader Sports, Tiger 110, T120R Bonnie, BMW R50, Suzuki GT185, T120 Bonnie, KE 175, BMW R75, GSX750, FJ1200, XJR1300, FZ1000, Sprint1050 & Street Triple, Sprint1050, Speedtriple, Sprint1050, Sprint GT, Trophy 1215, Speedtriple & Bonneville, XRx

Offline Bikertone7

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 04:55:00 PM »
Just tried Bikesure myself for a multibike quote - 100 quid more than Carol Nash's last years prem with no recovery. Still looking
Other Bikes: 1968 Triumph TR6 650cc (american export model), 1991 Transalp XL600V (everyday runabout), 1979 Kawasaki KL250 Trail Bike project.

Offline Cats

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 05:05:36 PM »
I've just said goodbye to Bikesure. Premium going up every year. Doesn't pay to be loyal anymore. :172:
Tiger 800. There's no effing need for it.
Gnats cock

Offline Bikertone7

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 10:24:16 PM »
What really pisses me off is the outrageous admin charges which can be around an additional 40 give or take on renewals and changes.
Other Bikes: 1968 Triumph TR6 650cc (american export model), 1991 Transalp XL600V (everyday runabout), 1979 Kawasaki KL250 Trail Bike project.

Offline Ukhornet

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 10:36:32 PM »
Well after lots of shopping around I eventually got cover for 430 for the tiger 800 XR and my Vespa 300 GTS from a company called A Plan, based in Witney, Oxfordshire.
There insured in the locked garage round the corner whilst at home so WILL NOT BE COVERED OUTSIDE THE HOME.
Thats with 2 years no claims but with a no fault accident from March this year.
Asked them how much they would be to insure if kept out on the street or on a drive and was told they wouldn't insure them.
Scomadi tl125, Aprillia Pegaso, Kawasaki Versys 650, Vespa 300 GTS, Lexmoto Oregon, Triumph Tiger 800XR

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 07:28:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bikertone7 [+]
What really pisses me off is the outrageous admin charges which can be around an additional 40 give or take on renewals and changes.

That's where they make their money now, they already have you bent over and bracing.

I just swapped my Tiger for a KTM1290, the cost to change the insurance for the remaining 3 months on the policy worked out at more than when I took the policy out.
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Tigermainia

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRx
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 09:16:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bikertone7 [+]
Just tried Bikesure myself for a multibike quote - 100 quid more than Carol Nash's last years prem with no recovery. Still looking

I renewed my Bikesure policy at the beginning of June as there was only a minimal increase.

Never had a decent quote from Carol Nash.  :151:
From '61 to present - BSA C12, Royal Enfield Crusader Sports, Tiger 110, T120R Bonnie, BMW R50, Suzuki GT185, T120 Bonnie, KE 175, BMW R75, GSX750, FJ1200, XJR1300, FZ1000, Sprint1050 & Street Triple, Sprint1050, Speedtriple, Sprint1050, Sprint GT, Trophy 1215, Speedtriple & Bonneville, XRx

Recent Topics

winded-staunch