Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: SATURDAY ROUTE  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: R1200GS, CRF250L
Re: SATURDAY ROUTE
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2018, 07:14:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMc [+]
I think the route needs more like this... :418:....

If we get lost, it may be  :001:

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2018, 07:39:20 PM »
I am going to need some volunteers to assist with the main ride on Saturday.  I am looking for a second "lead" rider and 2 "sweepers".

The second "lead" rider is required for two reasons:
1, to act as a "standby" for me and
2, in case we split the group into two.

No plans to split the group yet, but if the number of bikes continues to grow beyond 30, it may need to be considered, for practical purposes.

Anyone prepared to help, please send me a PM.

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2018, 02:02:26 PM »
Healdem, Dilbert and T800XC have kindly offered to help with the "lead/sweeper" roles for the MM, which is absolutely brilliant. 

Most will know that these guys are all very experienced in these roles and it gives me great confidence knowing they are willing to help manage the ride if required.  On behalf of the group, I would like to thank them very sincerely for their support so that we can all have the best day possible.  :047: :047: :047:

Having some back-up on this piece is particularly important because the Lakes route has a high percentage of narrow, nadgery B roads than we've had in recent years.  Average speed will be slower and meeting up with cars will slow things down considerably for a large group. The risk is that the gap between the first and last bike may become unreasonably large, so its a judgement call on where to draw the line.

My view is above 30 bikes and we split the group.  I know that we have managed this number OK on previous MM's but the Lakes roads are different and this needs to be taken into consideration.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep the full group together, but its looking increasingly unlikely. Safety and ease of managing the group will be priority considerations.  I intend to do another recce in the Spring  (others welcome to join me) and will make a decision then. (We will also have a better idea of the numbers). However, we already have 30 bikes, so it appears that we're heading for 2 groups.

This does have some advantages  - a couple of groups of 15 bikes leaving at different times will be much easier for the leader to manage, plus provide a better flow for the riders (less waiting time) and more considerate for the other road users.

It also reduces rthe risk of delays at the stops.

Anyway, its not an issue for you guys to worry about. Our expereinced volunteers and I will agree a plan nearer the time.

Just letting everyone know how things are coming along. 

Offline D8ona

• Tiger Jedi
  • I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Bike: 865 Scrambler
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2018, 06:31:32 PM »
Remember the fuel stop at 100 miles for those with small tanks eg Mrs Ds Bobber  :028:
There's someone in my head but its not me..?
Ducati MTS 950 - Monster 1100 Evo - Thruxton 1200 - Scrambler 900 - 1998 Daytona 900 - 1997 Ducati ST2

Offline JMc

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger800
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2018, 01:06:18 PM »
Hi Ron,

you can count on my support for the smooth running of the ride out, happy to help where ever possible.

Jmc

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2018, 10:46:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by JMc [+]
Hi Ron,

you can count on my support for the smooth running of the ride out, happy to help where ever possible.

Jmc

Thanks Jmc. Very much appreciated and good to know the support is there if needed.

winded-staunch