Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ditching the CBT  (Read 454 times)

Offline nigelw6

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 xrt
Ditching the CBT
« on: May 20, 2018, 06:56:09 PM »
Right I am looking for info on the new bike test regime. My son is a habitual CBT rider on a twist and go 125. He has no desire to ride in the big bike league but would like to ditch the L plates and carry a pillion none of which he is can do at the moment. I said why not tske a test on your 125 moped but to be honest i dont know what he can do. Any advice would be appreciated. PS he is 27 so is not age restricted.

Offline julianhj

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
Re: Ditching the CBT
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 07:15:26 PM »
I think he could get an A1 licence on his 125, but it's the same tests (theory, mod 1 and mod 2) as a full A licence on a 595cc machine.

Guidance here: www.gov.uk/motorcycle-test

Offline nigelw6

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 07:18:01 PM »
Yes but he likes the automatic transmission of a twist and go. I assume he could take an A2 if he could find an instructor that uses 400cc mopeds.

Offline julianhj

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 07:22:15 PM »
Looks like it - T Maxs and the like are on the approved list.

Offline steve@lincs

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 09:10:45 AM »
I think he will have to take the test after 3 years anyway?
apart from the cost I don't see a problem.

Offline julianhj

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 09:58:15 AM »
You can keep doing the CBT every two years without limit.

Offline biscut1975

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 11:29:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by julianhj [+]
You can keep doing the CBT every two years without limit.

Just did a quick search on google and found:

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt

Confirms the every two years bit if that helps :-)

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 02:26:45 PM »
strictly speaking there is no requirement for training to apply for a bike test.
you do have to have completed a CBT. the idea of that is to give some basic training and then allow the rider 2 years to gain experience, or take trainign with a view to taking the test.
I can't see why any competent trainer woudl not be perfectly happy to allow your son to ride his moped whilst be trained by that person.
The only limit on taking a test on an auto moped is,I think, that you are limited to riding an auto moped  (in exactly the same way that if you pass your test on an auto car you are limited to auto cars. You cna drive manual cars but under an L Plate and specific conditions.

so if he doesnt' want to ride anythign bigger, is happy with the current bike, and isn't going to change then consider taking the test on his current bike. If it were me Id probably inists on at least some training, but it isn't required by law.

But equally if it were Me Id probably push to get him to take an A1 licence and then he can do whatever, when ever he feels like.

Offline nigelw6

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 04:49:56 PM »
i think the problem is he tried a geared bike on his first cbt and hated it. He then took his cbt on a twist and go and much preferred that. I had a look and he can take an A2 test on a automatic if its over 395cc. The following then applies:-

Upon passing, the rider is restricted to bikes with a limit of 35kW/47bhp and a power-to-weight ratio of no more than 0.2kW/0.26bhp per kg, for two years. The power-to-weight ratio is an important qualification because it makes drawing a distinction between 'can ride' and 'can't ride' more nuanced than a simple bhp cap. In real terms, it imposes a minimum weight of 175kg for any bike using the full 47bhp, dashing hopes of super-lightweight 250s making a mockery of the bhp limit.

The issue would be finding a trainer who has 395cc automatic that he could use for a test.

In theory he could do an unrestricted A test if he splashed out and bought himself a Honda NC750x DCT. :008: :008: but he would have to do it before the new 2018 regs come in as the NC750 does not meet the new 50Kw output requirement of the A test 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:33:38 PM by nigelw6 »

Recent Topics

winded-staunch