Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MEGA MEET 2019 - GENERAL DISCUSSION PAGE  (Read 4266 times)

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: R1200GS, CRF250L
Re: MEGA MEET 2019 - GENERAL DISCUSSION PAGE
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2019, 07:14:53 AM »
Have asked Hartsideman to adjust the settings

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: R1200GS, CRF250L
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2019, 09:20:29 AM »
Settings have now been changed so you should be able to see this.

Our clockwise route takes us "down" the steep Hardnott Pass. The video, below, is me riding down it last Friday in fine weather, dry roads and no traffic, well apart from a cyclist lower down! 

It doesnt look steep in the video but its 30 degrees,  bumpy and the hairpins are tight.

The top bend is the tightest /steepest and has an adverse camber , but if you approach it on the right hand side of the road (as shown in the video)  its easy.

My main concern is that it is much more difficult if there is upcoming traffic on these top 3 hairpins, or if a vehicle in front stops in the wrong place. Other vehicles may not consider the space needed for a motorcycle coming down and I want to avoid this potential hazard.   

So, my plan, as lead bike, is to pause before the top bend and wait for the top 3 bends to clear.

Riders can then use the full width of the road  going down, which means you can fully enjoy the Hardnott experience and not be stressed wondering what other vehicles are going to do!  :156: 

I will also stop traffic coming up unitl the group is safely down.

Its a single track road, so the group can continue riding down the pass and along the road to a railway station car park on the right about a mile or so (there are nearer laybys but these will probably be full of cars ).

This link should work now...

https://www.facebook.com/hartsideman/videos/10219221191581015/?t=1

For those who havent done Hardnott before, I hope this helps.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 09:37:28 AM by Rocket »

Offline Zaphod

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC, Fazer 600
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2019, 09:46:32 AM »
Fingers (& everything else) crossed that we get weather like that - what a fantastic view :046:

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2019, 05:14:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rocket [+]
Note to all:  Lakes to be avoided on Sunday 12th May due to the Fred Whitton cycle race. I have been told that the major passes will be closed this year during the race.  So, I will provide a Sunday route around the Yorkshire Dales for anyone interested.

:003: I was really looking forward to 2 days of the Lakes (particularly given the distance from home), clearly nothing to be done about it but still count me in for Sunday on the Dales, we had some great riding there on the 2017 Megameet .. Wensleydale Creamery cheese factory for lunch again? :017:  :164:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2019, 06:05:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by dallewed [+]
There will be 6 of us travelling up on the Friday from South Wales. Justin and Kerrie may join us from Stroud too. Ideally will avoid motorways until Chester way. Open to anyone else tagging along too. Ill PM you on FB, Russ with potential routes.

Like tigeruss I similarly will be riding alone this meet, T800XC has pre-plans and Rozzer (fingers crossed, with bike) probably plans on straight lining up on the Friday.
If you would keep me updated Dai (not on FB) I could possibly be in the Chester area at the right time. :084:

As with the previous meets I've attended I've arranged to make the most of it and as I finish work Wednesday and took Sun/Mon nightshift off as holidays. After Plymouth to Newport by motorway I have mapped myself a (hopefully) twisty route from there heading north through Abertillery, Ebbw Vale, Merthyr Tydfil, Brecon, Builth Wells, Newtown, B3482 and doing the loop around Lake Vymwy and up through Snowdonia to Betswy-Y-Coed where I plan to stay the night in the same B & B I used for the last N.Wales meet.
So early'ish breakfast Friday and set off around 8. I had thought I may meet up with T800XC for a route though the Peaks and Dales but with the Dales planned for Sunday, if meeting up doesn't look convenient and given the total amount of riding and saddle time I might head straight up, via previous suggestion of Lakes to destination and grab a few hours relax/nap before the evening meet. :017: 
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White 800 Roadie
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2019, 06:54:58 PM »
Hmmm watching the video can someone please offer me a pillion ride down that pass
Live is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline dallewed

• Tiger Master
  • Today is the correct time to do things
  • Bike: BMW R1250 GSA
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2019, 08:59:45 PM »
If you would keep me updated Dai (not on FB) I could possibly be in the Chester area at the right time. :084:

Will do Stevie P  :031:
Triumph Scrambler - Pacific Blue Jan 2016 -
BMW R1200 GSA 2017 to 2019
Explorer - Blue 2013 to 2017
Tiger 800 XC - Orange 2011 - 2013
Sidney the Kidney 25 on 29th Jan 2016

winded-staunch