Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: european brake down cover  (Read 275 times)

Offline Mattytiger800

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800 abs
european brake down cover
« on: May 24, 2018, 10:42:29 AM »
Im going to Belgium in july and was wondering who gives the best European breakdown cover for the best rate?
thanks
Professional tinkerer, novice green laner and arm chair racer

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
Re: european brake down cover
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 11:32:28 AM »
This is an entry from a BMW forum asking the same question, several optoins -

" I had a look at the options yesterday as the Triumph breakdown cover ends next month on my Explorer. In September, the BMW breakdown cover ends on my R1200RS.
Triumph have a deal with RAC - UK personal cover, so would cover the BMW as well is 75. I can buy this from Autoaid for 43 and this gets excellent reviews.
I can also get European personal cover from the RAC via Triumph 138

I can get similar Euro cover from NCI/Rescuemycar for 128 (cheaper if you do not have key cover) plus there is 20% cashback via the likes of Quidco or Topcashback.

Green Flag has similar Euro cover for nearly 110 with 14 Quidco. Personal cover is UK only so you have to flip the cover from bike to bike for Euro cover.

I could cover the vehicles: an annual Euro policy for the Triumph would be 57 with Startrescue. Add UK cover for the BMW for 27 also with Startresuce, but not until September. If I wanted to take the BMW to Europe I could swap the bikes between the policies. 84 total with the possibility of 15% cashback from Quidco. Of course, I lose the personal cover benefit.

I have a car but this is only a month old so has 3 years of VAG breakdown cover included.

Decisions, decisions. I think I can rule out RAC/Triumph on cost and that RAC has a dire reputation. I have used Autoaid & Startrescue before and they do well in surveys. Green flag were great when used years ago and still get good press. NCI is an unknown but has been mentioned here before.

3 more weeks of procrastination before the Triumph is a year old (cheapskates only giving one year breakdown on a 13500 bike). Toss up between Startrescue and Green Flag I think."

Offline grizzlybear

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 01:30:18 PM »
I have just purchased 10 days cover from the AA  for 65 this included Spain and Portugal.  I get 2 days free cos I got AA gold cover.
Yes,  I know I can get it cheaper but I have been recovered twice from France with the AA and they really look after you so I won't ever use anybody else.

Dave
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,tiger800 and loads of C90`s  :)

Offline Treemonkey

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 03:43:04 PM »
I have just had a breakdown in Spain which has been a bit of a mare. It ended up with me spending 10 nights in a hotel, taxis here there and everywhere, and now Ive flown home and the Bike is being repatriated. Im with RAC through my Bennetts Insurance and they have been fantastic. All hotels and taxis sorted for me. Part payment on my flight home of 200. And free repatriation. They were easy to deal with and Im so glad I was covered. Thumbs up from me for RAC

Recent Topics