Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike stalls when pressure is put on gear lever  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Treemonkey

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Bike stalls when pressure is put on gear lever
« on: May 24, 2018, 03:12:25 PM »
Hi. Wanting to pick the brains of people here. Ive got a 800 roadie from 2011, and I broke down in Spain. It turned out to be the regulator and we also discovered a burnt stator coil. These were replaced along with the starter solenoid and battery. The charging system now works ok but on trying to select a gear ( and I mean just moving the lever, not actually putting in gear) the bike stalls. I have checked the gear position sensor ( tried swapping with a new one) by passed the clutch, and sidestand sensor. Im thinking now the high voltage has buggered the ecu. Anyone any thoughts?

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Bike stalls when pressure is put on gear lever
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 04:04:28 PM »
If the bike runs then the ecu is unlikely to be a problem.

Could be the biting point of the clutch has changed to the extent you're not actually engaging it at all.  Does the bike jerk forward or just die?
Stupid is as stupid does.  Look Dad... No hands!!

Offline Treemonkey

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 05:27:06 PM »
I dont think its the clutch. Even a small amount of pressure cuts the engine. Also when riding doing fearless changes the Bike effectively cuts out and bump starts. The only reason Im thinking ecu is because the sensors that would cut the bikes engine for eg the sidestand switch have all been checked and bypassed leaving me to think there must be something wrong with the ecu not knowing that one of the sensors is functioning. This I would have thought could be possible due to high voltages being put around the wiring when the stator and regulator failed.

Offline Treemonkey

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 05:28:13 PM »
* gearless not fearless 🤪

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 05:42:52 PM »
I've heard of a similar issue due to a weak spring on the side stand causing it to trip the switch but if you have it by-passed ??

TPS maybe, long shot but possible

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XRt
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 05:55:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Treemonkey [+]
... leaving me to think there must be something wrong with the ecu not knowing that one of the sensors is functioning. This I would have thought could be possible due to high voltages being put around the wiring when the stator and regulator failed.

... in which case my no.1 suggestion would be (if you haven't got one) get an OBD cable/interface and download Tigertool and check the ECU for fault codes.  :084:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Treemonkey

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 06:06:49 PM »
Cheers for the replies. No fault codes coming up. Im still waiting for the Bike to be sent back from Spain but checked this before I left. Basically wanting to give myself a list to check when it comes back.
Ill check the TPS and I was thinking maybe the crank position sensor too? Although the garage said theyd checked all this Ill go over everything again. The only ones Im definite about are the clutch, gear selector and sidestand sensors because I was there when they did these

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 06:07:58 PM »
Surely the MIL  would light?
Stupid is as stupid does.  Look Dad... No hands!!

Offline Treemonkey

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 06:11:39 PM »
MIL?

Offline Treemonkey

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 06:17:30 PM »
Ah the engine light? This was cancelled from the regulator fault and now no codes coming up.

Recent Topics