Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front fork tubes/tube rebuild where for parts?  (Read 609 times)

Offline White Lightning

• Tiger Master
  • Personal text? Hmmm... later something witty.
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCx
Front fork tubes/tube rebuild where for parts?
« on: June 02, 2018, 01:23:30 AM »
Okie, to make a long story short, caught in some rain, and had to go down a grease slick dirt road in my 15 XCx.  Taking it slow, but not noticing that mud got packed into the front fender (whoops)

It was as slow tip.  Not even enough to boot me from the bike.  It popped the break point on the break lever, popped the signal off, but nothing else was really even scuffed.  Not even the front fork slider.  (Went down right side).  It was a bit of oomph getting it up due to slickness, but got 'er up, and mostly fine.  Not even a bent rear brake pedal.

However, I noticed that it was now wanting to steer left requiring a right countersteer.  It is visibly noticable.  Because of how it is, I suspect it landed just right to cause torsion on the tubes, or perhaps when I was standing it up? (Havent checked to ensure wheel trueness yet)

So I am pretty sure it is probably a bent fork tube, however I cannot find any source for rebuild parts (tubes and seals).  Are these only triumph available?  Or perhaps something else putting it out that I am not thinking of?

Thanks for any assist!

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC,CB1300,Lverda
Re: Front fork tubes/tube rebuild where for parts?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 04:14:05 AM »
Before you start down the replacement path, consider that you may have just twisted the shocks within the triple clamps so they are not symetrical as they should be. The procedure is to losen all the triple clamp bolts and get things aligned again. There are a bunch of youtubes that show the technique. Might even be a post on this forum if you have a search. Look for the simple stuff first. Also, less likely, but have a look to see that the handle bar isn't bent.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 04:18:44 AM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline White Lightning

• Tiger Master
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 07:52:00 AM »
Oh, for sure.  That is what I was going to check first is just loosen, clean and inspect.

Know it isn't the bars bent, my reference is the tree/riser uprights themselves, not the bar end.  I was scratching my head at such a soft mushy flop would bend the tube, specially the WP ones.  Reading it looks like other peeps have had tracking issue (ADV forums, Triumphrat, etc that turned out to be alignment.  My ol standard shocks on the vintage bikes bend just riding down the road so worst case is first thing that popped into my head.  Will find out tomorrow I guess :-)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 07:54:07 AM by White Lightning »

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 07:42:38 AM »
Yep, I've given my 2012 XC some real hard thumps on rough tracks and few nasty drops and never did any damage to the forks-they're pretty robust. I think your's will be ok too.

Offline White Lightning

• Tiger Master
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 08:51:05 PM »
Ha ha, yup.  Was alignment.  A problem I never ran into or thought about before.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 01:53:34 AM »
 :152:

Recent Topics