Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Michelin Road 5 trial  (Read 10902 times)

Offline GoldenBear

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
Re: New Michelin Road 5 trial
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2020, 01:44:43 AM »
I had the Michelin PR4 Trails on my Roadie and absolutely loved those tires in both the dry and in rain. They stick well and are very confidence inspiring. This go around, however, I have chosen a set of Michelin Anakee Adventure tires. In the past year or so, I find myself riding more gravel backroads and wanted something with a bit more durability and traction. So far, the only difference I notice is a slight howl from the front tire while riding with my visor open. The traction and handling characteristics seem to be quite comparable. I managed to eek out 21,000 KMs out of my PR4 tires. Hopefully, these new Anakee Adventure tires will be similar.

Offline oNLIme

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2020, 11:53:51 AM »
Hi there. 

9 months into Tiger ownership and this is the first time Ive had to ask a question, because all of the answers Ive needed are already here!

My bikes still running Scorpion Trails and they dont inspire much confidence.  I get the consensus around Road 5s and that you have to go for a 110 on the front, rather than the stock 100.  When I check the clearance between the front mudguard And the existing 100 tyre, I reckon Ive got 6mm max (3 either side IF I can get the mudguard on straighter).  This is a Few mm less than stock because Ive got an R&G fender extender fitted (glued, not riveted).

Even without the fender extender a 110 would be a very tight fit.  Just wondered if anyone else has encountered this problem and whether there are any solutions / alternatives people have used (apart from the obvious fender extender removal....).

Thanks in advance.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2020, 12:53:16 PM »
Change the fender extender would be the obvious answer. I've the Triumph fitted - also glued and I've no issue with clearance. Just checked and with my PR5 I have 9mm clearance - ish
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2020, 02:31:19 PM »
I've had a Pyramid front fender extender fitted since new and run 110/80 fronts since factory tyre replaced and no issues. Clearance is about the same as KildareMan at about 9mm'ish each side.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline oNLIme

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2020, 08:59:50 PM »
Thanks KildareMan and Stevie.P for your quick responses.

Having looked at the Pyramid extender online and given it looks so similar to the R&G in shape and fitting, I cant really see how so much more clearance is achieved just by changing the fender extender.  Could be a combination of tyre shape and profile also but more inclined to suspect mudguard alignment (Fore and aft, maybe, not just side to side).  Will experiment (including getting Pyramid on free return for comparison) and report back in due course. 

Still life left in the Scorpions but planning ahead.

Thanks again.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch