Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2012 -Chain Rubbing strip- question  (Read 1390 times)

Offline catch210

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 Road
2012 -Chain Rubbing strip- question
« on: June 06, 2018, 05:22:03 PM »
I have a tiger 800 2012 ABS Road- I took it to the dealer for a 12K service, in the Kit there was Chain Rubbing Strip to be replaced. The dealer called me to tell me the part in the 12K kit is wrong, the part on my bike is T2051770 and the replacement part in the box T2051710 - I was told this part will not line up right with the chain... they contacted triumph and was told they will send them right part from the UK, this will take approx 2-3weeks.  The Part in the Kit is for new tiger XR type-...has anyone else experience this issue and moving forward since the part is discontinued how do I overcome this issue next 6k replacement time.
Cheers!

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Re: 2012 -Chain Rubbing strip- question
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 08:32:23 AM »
I have a 2012 roadie which has now covered 26,000 mile there is absolutely nothing wrong with the chain rubbing strip & it doesn't need changing. The older design I believe was a harder rubber which lasts much longer than the new design.

If you look at the new chain rubbing strip it comes in 3 pieces (I don't think you can get hold of any of the old one's), this now makes Triumph some extra wonga as they now have this as a service part and want to change it at every service.

Take a close look at the chain rubbing strip on your bike the only area of wear your likely to see (this is when it does need to be changed) is at the front bottom near the front sprocket, you can see this with a torch or take the front sprocket cover off (good time to clean all the gunk out) and you can see clearly if there's any wear.

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 08:53:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by sezian [+]
I have a 2012 roadie which has now covered 26,000 mile there is absolutely nothing wrong with the chain rubbing strip & it doesn't need changing. The older design I believe was a harder rubber which lasts much longer than the new design.

If you look at the new chain rubbing strip it comes in 3 pieces (I don't think you can get hold of any of the old one's), this now makes Triumph some extra wonga as they now have this as a service part and want to change it at every service.

Take a close look at the chain rubbing strip on your bike the only area of wear your likely to see (this is when it does need to be changed) is at the front bottom near the front sprocket, you can see this with a torch or take the front sprocket cover off (good time to clean all the gunk out) and you can see clearly if there's any wear.
   :493: :0461:
I'm from Wigan Me

Offline catch210

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 01:35:14 PM »
Thank you for the reply, I will check on the condition the original is in and possibly leave it on. Only concern moving forward what to do about the part fitting in the future or finding the part? has anyone installed the replacement part 2011-12 roadie with no mod or major adjustments?
 :001:

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 05:19:15 PM »
I believe the 3 part replacement does fit the earlier models and should be a direct replacement, I haven't heard of any problems with the new part not fitting the older bikes, in fact I'm sure I've read on here that many people have changed from the old type to the new.

I think the different part number is just the new part number for the "New" style rubbing strip, the idea being that from a service point of view you don't change the whole thing any more just the the outer section that the chain actually runs on.

Lots of info here https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,21434.0.html

Offline catch210

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 08:43:05 PM »
Thank you !! That is what I have read also. Thanks for the link.

Offline TigerNige

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 09:25:56 PM »
changed mine last year 2012 road 30k miles. don't believe there was any part difference other than, in theory, it is available as the hard outer without the rubbers (if you have a worn new type one with the 2 rubbers) my old one was still serviceable, but if it does wear through, then I have seen some seriously bad damage to the front of the swing arm. fitting straight forward but messy ! did find it affected chain adjustment,( depending on your preferences! ) as you now have a bottom rubbing strip.

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 06:54:27 AM »
There's a thread from earlier this year
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php?topic=20656.0

This was my rubbing strip after 26K miles

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline catch210

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 02:45:14 PM »
Hello all, Thanks for the reply! Finally got my bike back. Here is what happen and I think its import info for all tiger owners ( 2011-15).

Historical:
-Dealer received 12K service kit with Chain Strip ( they believed it was the wrong part) 
-Dealer sent Triumph Pictures of the part
-Dealer said wrong part they will send them the right part in 2 weeks
-I requested the part number they are waiting for( T2051710) Rubbing Strip, Spares, Kit
-I ordered online and delivered it to the dealer a few days later
-Part # T2051710 outside box has Part # T2051795 inside, dealer said that its the same part that was in 12K kit and triumph said its wrong for 12 tiger-17 and up bikes
-Triumph delivered right part number T2051770 3 days later
-Triumph will update the right part number to all dealers(this is what I was told)

If you have a 2011-15 the right part number is T2051770- It will be hard to find- back order, website say the new part number is  T2051710 but its wrong.

I hope this help!!!

Offline TigerNige

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 06:46:33 PM »
Even more confusing ! the only picture I can find (2051770) is the old single rubber strip and is no longer available over here ? the one I put on my 2012 is part number T2051710 which has 2 rubbers ? Very puzzling ?

Recent Topics

winded-staunch