Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Problem starting when hot..... Is the starter motor the problem?  (Read 7147 times)

Offline Gasman

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Re: Problem starting when hot..... Is the starter motor the problem?
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 01:28:24 PM »
Bought mine from World of Triumph 340 posted received the next day. Priced it at my local dealers to see if Id been ripped off and they quoted 480.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 03:18:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gasman [+]
Priced it at my local dealers to see if Id been ripped off and they quoted 480.

Dealer high quote is likely the fitted price as Triumph dealer parts prices should be the same at any dealer based on the official Triumph network parts catalogue. Both World of Triumph and Fowlers parts lists (depending on exact model) show the starter in the 323 - 332 bracket.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Simos

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC 2016
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 03:47:25 PM »
I had the same problem and it is cured for free  :260:.. Apparently, you slightly twist the throttle when pressing the start/ignition button. It is more of a habit, if you had motorbikes with carburettors in the past.
The fuel injector is controlled by computerised engine-management system, which read the engine temperature and the ambient air temperature, and then determine how much fuel and air to send into the cylinder when you start the bike.
In some cases the engine stalls or start more slowly when the bike is hot. That's because you opening the throttle slightly when the computer wants it closed. As a result, the cylinder gets flooded with petrol.
I was able to reproduce the 'problem' numerous times, in order to make sure there is no problem with the bike.
I was told the above from the Triumph Dealer in Cardiff UK and I also made a research myself. Apparently the fuel injected cars have the same habit. 

Hope this is helpful.

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 03:07:11 AM »
Can you please confirm that "you slightly twist the throttle when pressing the start/ignition button" is an erroneous habit that is done inadvertently thus causing the no start problem?

Sorry but I read your statement both ways - Observation and Instruction!!!
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline Simos

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC 2016
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 12:27:06 PM »
Hi there,

Apologies for my writing. I confirm that twisting the throttle (even few millimetres) is an erroneous habit that is done inadvertently, thus causing the no start problem.
In order to remember it, I take off my hand completely from the throttle when starting the bike (even if it's cold).
I hope this would fix your problem.
It worth noting though, that in colder climates (I had the bike in Scotland for 2 years) I never encountered this 'problem'. First time I faced it was during a trip in Greece with 35 degrees Celsius.
Anyhow, the manufacturer suggest that we shouldn't twist the throttle when starting the bike. 

Offline digger06

• Tiger Master
  • digger06
  • Bike: tiger 800 xc
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2019, 01:57:31 PM »
has anyone in the uk got a starter they don't want with the brush/ring/heat prob? I have a few well educated mates in the starter/genny/ecu industry into this sort of thing,
if they can see one and can pinpoint the problem(s) they maybe could come up with an easier/cheaper, permanent fix for it, or even figure out what else (better/stronger) fits..

pm me if you have such a thing
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 01:59:42 PM by digger06 »

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2019, 02:11:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by digger06 [+]
has anyone in the uk got a starter they don't want with the brush/ring/heat prob? I have a few well educated mates in the starter/genny/ecu industry into this sort of thing,
if they can see one and can pinpoint the problem(s) they maybe could come up with an easier/cheaper, permanent fix for it, or even figure out what else (better/stronger) fits..

pm me if you have such a thing

You don't actually need to be an expert. The starter motor brushes wear and once they wear they don't generate power as they rotate. Better brushes is all that Triumph need to install to solve the issue.

Offline trumpet173

• Tiger Member
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2020, 05:15:34 PM »
Been doing some reading about this topic as my 2011 Tiger has these exact symptoms (doesnt want to start when its running hot. Usually when the fan is running). I have a bit over 30,000 miles. Wondering wheat the miles on the bike were for others with this issue. Im looking to get one of those starters from Ricks Motorsports to replace the OEM one. But its funny, neither Triumph Shop in Oregon has ever heard of this starter issue.  Wondering if I should also contact Triumph to at least let them know whats going on even though Im far from being in warranty.

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2020, 05:19:41 PM »
(2013 xc) Mine started at about 50k miles and I replaced it at 54k miles with a triumph part.

I believe that triumph know very well that there is an issue (hence the replacement part is a different part number) but will not admit it publicly.

Offline trumpet173

• Tiger Member
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2020, 05:26:12 PM »
Interesting....  thanks for letting me know. And I think Im gonna contact Triumph anyways, if nothing else then to give them a bit of sh*t for being cheap on the brushes.

Recent Topics