Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Newbie but Oldie from Somerset England  (Read 205 times)

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Newbie but Oldie from Somerset England
« on: June 13, 2018, 08:21:20 PM »
I've been lurking on here for a while, as my plan to pick up my new Tiger 800 XRT was scuppered by a nasty bout of sciatica. I didn't want to post without a picture or two of my new machine. Therefore, I had to wait until the dealer could deliver the machine for me. Today was that day, and I love my new machine. I didn't have that same rapport with the machine that was taken away as a part exchange: a 2010 BMW R1200 GS.

After an eleven day trip to Spain and Portugal recently, I decided that the BMW was too big, too heavy, and too difficult to manoeuvre. At one point in Spain, I had put the GS on its side stand after filling up with fuel, and sitting astride it I couldn't get it up (ooh err, missus) because of the adverse camber. A mate had to help me. After that its days were numbered.

I test rode a Tiger 800 at Total Triumph Taunton (TTT), and loved the ride - it was so easy to manage after the bulky GS. The dealer offered me 4500 for the BMW in p/x, and I thought it too low, so I walked. A mate advised me to check out Three Cross Motorcycles, and I was gobsmacked when they offered me 6000 in p/x against a new Tiger 800, with an additional discount of 250 thrown in for good measure. Not only that, but they also delivered the bike gratis - what great service. I fail to understand why TTT was awarded dealership of the year 2017.

I have a few other bikes, including a very early 2009 Street Triple R, a KTM 390 Duke, and a few classics. The Tiger will be used for longer rides, as long as I can get over the sciatica, which I am convinced was caused by too many hours in the saddle in Spain and Portugal.

I'm lookng forward to getting to know the Tiger better, and getting some advice and information from this forum. I have to say that it looks suspiciously similar to the Street Triple forum, of which I am a member with the same handle.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Newbie but Oldie from Somerset England
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 08:26:54 PM »
welcome bucksfizz  :401:

That's a nice looking Tiger, great colour

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 08:34:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
welcome bucksfizz  :401:

That's a nice looking Tiger, great colour

Thanks.
It was the only colour, the other options being grey and white (both shades, not colours).
It seems that Triumph is going the way of German car manufacturers.
If you go to an Audi or Mercedes dealership, you'll see a sea of grey cars.
I'm just glad that I wasn't in the market for a Street Triple, as there's only one colour available: red in the base S model.
I despair.

Offline Tigermainia

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRx
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 08:34:21 AM »
Hi &  :401: enjoy, hope the healing process doesn't take too long.  :417: :152: :031:
From '61 to present - BSA C12, Royal Enfield Crusader Sports, Tiger 110, T120R Bonnie, BMW R50, Suzuki GT185, T120 Bonnie, KE 175, BMW R75, GSX750, FJ1200, XJR1300, FZ1000, Sprint1050 & Street Triple, Sprint1050, Speedtriple, Sprint1050, Sprint GT, Trophy 1215, Speedtriple & Bonneville, XRx

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XRt
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 03:59:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]
I have to say that it looks suspiciously similar to the Street Triple forum, of which I am a member with the same handle.

:401: ... you'll likely start to recognize a few names here (I recall you) as there are quite a few of us who have made the transition from ST and ST forum to the Tiger.  :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 10:26:16 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcomes.
Come to think of it, I do vaguely remember a Stevie.P from the Street Triple forum, but the memory is fading nowadays.
Therefore, I'll look out for familiar names, as I suspect that most will re-use their old names.
 :031:

Recent Topics