Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: XCx > 19"/tubeless conversion  (Read 4044 times)

Offline troop

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2016 800 XCxR
Re: XCx > 19"/tubeless conversion
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2018, 10:21:36 PM »
Keeping them. Would be hard to sell a XCx down the road w/out the OEM 21"/17" wheels.

Online Bikerjimbob

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800xca
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 09:09:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by troop [+]
Just completed my XCx wheel conversion to 17"/19" cast wheels from XR models. Zero fitment issues and all works well. Using a 100/90-19 front tire, my ride height only decreased by approx .5". Not going to bother with lowering links. I like it :)

Just finished the same conversion as Troop, absolute doddle of a job (easy). With the change back to spoked wheels in approx half and hour as both sets of wheels have discs,sprocket etc all ready to straight swop so best of both worlds off out for a test ride in the morning cant wait.
Cheers Jim

Offline ColinXCX

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2017 Tiger XCX
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 07:42:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by troop [+]
Just completed my XCx wheel conversion to 17"/19" cast wheels from XR models. Zero fitment issues and all works well. Using a 100/90-19 front tire, my ride height only decreased by approx .5". Not going to bother with lowering links. I like it :)

Just reading this thread. What do you like about the conversion?, I can understand going tubeless but I was wondering how it changed the handling on the road.
I am thinking about doing the same conversion so any information about riding changes (if any) would be appreciated, thanks....

Online Bikerjimbob

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 01:31:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by ColinXCX [+]
Just reading this thread. What do you like about the conversion?, I can understand going tubeless but I was wondering how it changed the handling on the road.
I am thinking about doing the same conversion so any information about riding changes (if any) would be appreciated, thanks....

Just got back from a 1000km weekend ride on some of the best twisty roads in NSW.
Got to say for pure FAST road riding the cast wheels give a much better sure footed feel, there is absolutely no chicken strips left showing at all, handled like a dream so much so that one of the guys on a Honda sports bike came up to us (me on my XCA and a mate on his XRT) and said he was absolutely amazed at how well the bikes handled and that he had to work very hard to stay with us especially on the rougher road sections.

So do the conversion i am sure you wont regret it, my spoked wheels will only go back on if a dirty weekend is planned thats for sure.

Cheers Jim 

Offline ColinXCX

• Tiger Member
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 09:58:10 PM »
Thanks for your report Jim. I will have to keep my eye out for a pair of wheels, don't fancy paying about 1100 for new ones from Triumph though.

Online Bikerjimbob

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2018, 10:50:37 PM »
Thanks for your report Jim. I will have to keep my eye out for a pair of wheels, don't fancy paying about 1100 for new ones from Triumph though.

Look on ebay uk a complete rear wheel with disc, abs ring and tyre 169 and a front bare wheel no discs (the hard one to find in good condition) for 250 sorted
Cheers jim

Offline ColinXCX

• Tiger Member
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2018, 08:25:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bikerjimbob [+]
Just got back from a 1000km weekend ride on some of the best twisty roads in NSW.
Got to say for pure FAST road riding the cast wheels give a much better sure footed feel, there is absolutely no chicken strips left showing at all, handled like a dream so much so that one of the guys on a Honda sports bike came up to us (me on my XCA and a mate on his XRT) and said he was absolutely amazed at how well the bikes handled and that he had to work very hard to stay with us especially on the rougher road sections.

So do the conversion i am sure you wont regret it, my spoked wheels will only go back on if a dirty weekend is planned thats for sure.

Cheers Jim

Have you tried any slow speed filtering with the conversion. I find my XCX a little twitchy at very slow speeds, that could be that I'm not used to a tall bike as yet, I've only had it a month. With lowering the front an inch with the 19" wheel I'm not sure how the bike would react at slow speed filtering, up to about 15mph. Higher speeds I can't see a problem. I've been riding nearly 40 years and this is my first tall bike so I'm still learning. Thanks.

Offline RaglandT

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC / 1200XRT
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2018, 09:51:25 PM »
With lowering the front an inch with the 19" wheel I'm not sure how the bike would react at slow speed filtering, up to about 15mph.

The actual difference is closer to .7 " - The tire on the wider 19" front rim is .3" taller than the 21" tire. 

Online Bikerjimbob

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2018, 10:39:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by RaglandT [+]
The actual difference is closer to .7 " - The tire on the wider 19" front rim is .3" taller than the 21" tire.

When I measured the difference I made it 15mm as for filtering at low speeds i found no problems at all if anything slightly more sure footed.
Been a biker all my life (now 68) and been on big trail bikes from BMW, Yamaha, KTM and Triumph of course for many years now so maybe a bit more used to them than others.
Cheers Jim

Offline ColinXCX

• Tiger Member
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2018, 09:26:30 AM »
Thanks for the info Jim, I'm still a baby at 59. I've ridden sport bikes all my riding life until it hurt to much, I went to a Z1000 but then the new Ducati Supersport came out and that ticked the boxes for me. Ducati call it a sport bike for the road, others call it a sport bike for old riders that can't ride sport bikes anymore. It is very comfy and very controllable but a pig to keep clean. That's when I decided on the tiger, as we know  :418: so it's the Ducati in the summer and the Tiger for other times. I find it a completely different way of riding, I enjoy the Tiger just my riding skill set needs improving. Thanks

Recent Topics