Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: XCx > 19"/tubeless conversion  (Read 1703 times)

Offline troop

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2016 800 XCXR
XCx > 19"/tubeless conversion
« on: June 16, 2018, 11:31:15 PM »
OK ... I'm having a real strong hankering to convert my XCx to a tubeless set up, along with a 19" front wheel. I've only read of a couple instances of XCX riders doing this, and they liked the results. I did this to my KLR 650 a few years back and really liked the results. I've been in contact with Woody's re: OEM wheel conversions and also have inquiries out to Triumph vendors for complete 19"/17" cast wheel purchase. Woody's has been very fast/thorough to respond. By converting my OEM wheels, I'd be looking at about $1050 + there/back shipping on two sets of wheels. Likely looking at around $1200 total. This includes their HD, stainless Superlace spoke system. I've gotten a quote from one Triumph vendor for $1320/shipped for a set of 2017 XR 19/17 complete wheel assemblies. I'll also touch base with my local dealer. Just need to swap out rotors. This is really starting to appeal to me a bit more as I'd have (2) complete sets of wheels. I'd also note that I'm a 95%+ on road/solo rider so off roading won't play in to the equation. Anybody here done this? A fair amount of coin but the pull is strong. Likely a winter project. Thoughts or experience? Thx

Offline Cats

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
Re: XCx > 19"/tubeless conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 08:31:07 AM »
Can you just buy the wheels from the XR secondhand?  The prices you're quoting seem very high.
I've put a 19" front on my 2013 XC, which I bought secondhand for 140, and I like the results, I had to raise the forks through the yokes to get the handling right. I'm on the lookout for a rear but can't quite afford at the moment. Maybe I was lucky with the price of the front.
Looking back maybe I should have bought a Roadie, but hey ho, and like you say I've still got the 21" front to go back to.
Tiger 800. There's no effing need for it.
Gnats cock

Offline troop

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 01:40:54 PM »
I'm perusing the internet for used front/rear wheels. Triumph changes the part numbers for each year, so I'm looking for model years 2015-2017 XR rims. Is the black wheel color the same for each year?

Offline Cats

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 03:28:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by troop [+]
Is the black wheel color the same for each year?

Don't know. The front wheel I bought is a matt grey colour. Made in China. :005: :492: If it needed painting I don't know, it came in a box from Triumph and was listed as shop damaged because one of the gibbons, I mean technicians, has scratched it during assembly. So thinking about it that colour must be right.
Also in my last post I said I raised the forks, I didn't, I lowered them. :138:
Gnats cock

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 03:56:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Cats [+]

Also in my last post I said I raised the forks, I didn't, I lowered them. :138:

No, you raised them  :016:
Lowered the frame but raised the forks  :001:
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline troop

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 04:36:58 PM »
Does the ABS/traction control function normally with the 19" front? I know the ring will be spinning faster with the 19" wheel. Thanks for the replies :)

Offline RaglandT

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC / 1200XRT
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 04:53:09 PM »
 No impact on ABS operation. 

Offline Cats

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 04:59:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]

All I know is that I wrote down in the manual that the top of the forks were 7mm above the top yoke, for returning to the standard position, and now they are 1mm above.
Isn't that lowering the forks?  :187:
Gnats cock

Offline Cats

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 05:00:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by RaglandT [+]
No impact on ABS operation.

That's right. :028:
Gnats cock

Offline Cats

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 05:41:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]

I suppose technically the forks don't move whatever you do to them due to the wheel staying put on the ground. So in effect it's the frame that is either lowered or raised.
So in my case I raised the frame from the front. :017:
Gnats cock

Recent Topics

winded-staunch