Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 30 litre Safari Tank  (Read 834 times)

Offline Sparks72

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCX
30 litre Safari Tank
« on: June 18, 2018, 01:40:22 PM »
Hi Folks,

I just wonder if I could ask for advice / feedback from the forum regarding the Safari tank for the Tiger 800 please.

I've done some big mile trips on my Tiger 800's now and one of its only short comings in my opinion is the fuel range, especially when my riding companions are on GSA1200's.
The Tiger is a great bike and does everything that I want, but on a recent trip down to Italy through Holland, Belgium and France etc, stopping for fuel became a really drag as I was always keeping on eye the fuel level and the location of petrol stations ahead. I already carry two 2.5ltr fuel cells, so I do have extra range, but I thought there must be another alternative (apart from changing to a GSA).
So I have been toying with the idea of installing one of these tanks, but to be honest I'm just not 100% sure about them.

Are they road legal for use in the UK / Europe?

Do they impact on the handling of the bike, surely they must?

I assume the increased fuel weight will make it even harder to get the bike on to the centre stand (......if that's at all possible) ?

Are there any known issues with installing them?

What are members experiences of using / living with these tanks?

Any feedback or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Tiger 800XCX
HONDA CBR600RR3

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: 30 litre Safari Tank
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 02:12:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sparks72 [+]
Hi Folks,

I just wonder if I could ask for advice / feedback from the forum regarding the Safari tank for the Tiger 800 please.

I've done some big mile trips on my Tiger 800's now and one of its only short comings in my opinion is the fuel range, especially when my riding companions are on GSA1200's.
The Tiger is a great bike and does everything that I want, but on a recent trip down to Italy through Holland, Belgium and France etc, stopping for fuel became a really drag as I was always keeping on eye the fuel level and the location of petrol stations ahead. I already carry two 2.5ltr fuel cells, so I do have extra range, but I thought there must be another alternative (apart from changing to a GSA).
So I have been toying with the idea of installing one of these tanks, but to be honest I'm just not 100% sure about them.

Are they road legal for use in the UK / Europe?

Do they impact on the handling of the bike, surely they must?

I assume the increased fuel weight will make it even harder to get the bike on to the centre stand (......if that's at all possible) ?

Are there any known issues with installing them?

What are members experiences of using / living with these tanks?

Any feedback or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

You should contact Safari direct re the legality issue

https://www.safaritanks.com.au/home/
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 04:40:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sparks72 [+]
...I assume the increased fuel weight will make it even harder to get the bike on to the centre stand (......if that's at all possible) ?

I'm 11 stone and I can throw my Tiger onto the centre stand no probs...all down to technique really.
I'm from Wigan Me

Offline travisn000

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2013 800XC
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 11:25:40 PM »
I don't know much about the Safari tank on the tiger, but I put a 10 gallon IMS tank on my other bike (KLR 650) to replace bent up happy trails crash bars; I have dropped that bike many times on dirt / gravel, and even had a pretty hard high side (I was ejected) and low side on pavement on the IMS tank without crash bars and it has held up very well  (the low side didn't contact the tank, as I rode the bike with aluminum panniers to a stop.. scraped up the aluminum / plastic hand guard and put a hole in the pannier).  The tank has some surface scrapes after the high side, but at most about 1mm deep.  Still have that bike, but don't ride it as much.. the tiger is way more fun!

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 05:47:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by gordybrock [+]
I'm 11 stone and I can throw my Tiger onto the centre stand no probs...all down to technique really.

Some Tigers have an issue that isn't wholly technique related.
Whether it's different batches of hardware or something else, I'm not sure but I've tried one Tiger that was a right pain.
Mine was easy, even after being jacked up 30mm
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Lordhammer

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: xcx800
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 09:55:54 AM »
Hi, I put one on my 2015 XCX before a big trip this spring.

There were a few issues with mounting brackets, which I had to spend a fair amount of time re-drilling to get the alignments correct. A bit of a pain for something which was far from cheap...

I don't think the handling was affected noticeably. Most of the fuel sits no higher than in the stock tank.

The extra range is very useful, particularly if you are travelling in a group with GS Adventures...

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:58:53 AM by Lordhammer »

Offline Sparks72

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCX
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 08:42:59 PM »
Hi,

Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate the time people have taken to respond.

I've had two 800 Tigers, previously an XC & currently an XCX.
My original XC was significantly easier to get on to the centre stand than my XCX is.
Ordinarily, I don't struggle to lift it on to the centre stand, but when my trekker outback panniers are fitted and loaded (plus the top box), it becomes hard work.
On my last trip, it often became a two man lift to get the XCX on the centre stand....regardless of technique, she isn't been thrown up on to the stand in a loaded state.
There are loads on comments on the web about how hard it can be to get both Roadies & XC's up on to their stands. And when you compare how easy it is to get a fully loaded & fuelled up GSA1200 on to its centre stand, the difference is night & day.
My question (concern) was based around that if I can struggle with getting my loaded XCX on to the stand, then adding another 10 litres of fuel into the equation is in theory only going to add to that struggle....

Lordhammer: Thank you for uploading the pictures, the tank looks better in your pictures than it does on the Safari web site.

My Tiger XCX is a 15 plate, so to see how it looks on that model is great.

Did you have to swap out the fuel pump / sender unit from you existing tank as part of the fitting process or did you source those parts elsewhere?

Thanks again for your help guys.

Cheers,
Tiger 800XCX
HONDA CBR600RR3

Offline Lordhammer

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: xcx800
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 10:07:00 PM »
Hi,
Actually the finish on the tank was pretty rough, with an obvious molding seam through the middle so I spent some time sanding and buffing it to a better finish!

Yes, I took the pump and sender unit out of the original tank and installed in the Safari. This wasn't a problem compared to getting the brackets sorted!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch