Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Anyone gone from a Tiger to a Street triple?  (Read 915 times)

Offline Garry Ellam

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCX
Anyone gone from a Tiger to a Street triple?
« on: June 20, 2018, 01:45:36 PM »
As above. I think I need something lower and lighter.  has to be a Triumph - got too many T shirts to change brands now!
Pillion is the main issue.  I'm not sure if my lass will appreciate the less than generous accomodation.  However, I've had two Speed Triples (she was a little slimmer then ...)

Offline Psychopasta

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Re: Anyone gone from a Tiger to a Street triple?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 07:10:14 PM »
I'm thinking the same thing (about the bike, not your girlfriend). I want a bike more for grin factor than practicality, and the Street Triple is beckoning. Really interested in what people who have had them/have them think.

Offline DonVulpes

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XRT
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 08:05:02 AM »
At one time I had both an Explorer and a Street R.
The Street was tiny ( obviously ) and even my petite ex ( size 8, 5'2" ) hated the pillion seat. Maybe having the safer perch of the Explorer spoilt her ?

The Thruxton can take a pillion with greater ease  :028:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 08:07:32 AM by DonVulpes »
Doesn't matter where I'm going, getting there on two wheels is always the better option.

Offline Garry Ellam

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCX
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 04:11:21 PM »
The Thruxton doesn't fulfill the 'light' requirement.  It's as heavy as a Tiger.  Plus, expensive and lacking a pillion seat and pegs as standard.  Looks fabulous, though.

Offline DonVulpes

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XRT
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 04:50:42 PM »
Granted it's not as light as the Street, but it carries it's weight low down compared to the Tiger.

I currently have an 800XRT and a Thruxton R. The Thrux is a LOT easier to move than my 800.

If you're ever in my neck of the woods, you're welcome to compare side by side.
Doesn't matter where I'm going, getting there on two wheels is always the better option.

Offline D6864

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 04:57:11 PM »
Wish they'd make sensible versions of the Street and Speed Triples, a modern Sprint RS if you will.  The need for comfort, wind protection and to carry a pillion and luggage led me to the Tiger but the height is a downside most of the time (I do very occasionally venture off-road).  BMW R1200RS seems to be the only offering like this.

Offline Turbotom

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 08:42:40 PM »
My previous bike was a 300 kg ST1300 Pan European. I don't think a 200 kg Tiger 800 is heavy.

My son drives a 2013 Street Triple R. Whenever I ride it, the bike feels like a toy bike. It is fast, but to petite for me. I dislike the high position of the footrests and the tight knee angle. It is fun for half an hour.

Tom
Tiger 800 XRx 2015 caspian blue

Offline Gtd10

• Tiger Cub
  • Living the dream, soon..
  • Bike: XRX Roadie
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 10:46:11 AM »
I have bought a Street Triple RS and it is a superb bike and an absolute joy to ride much lighter and turns in without any effort. But as for a pillion on the back forget it small seat and high footpegs. The good news is I till have the Tiger XRX for when I take her indoors out.  The problem with the Street Triple is soon as I test rode it I ordered one, beware!

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 12:25:03 PM »
I've had a Striple a couple of times as a loaner when my T800 was in for a service, including an "R", very, very different from a T800 in every respect, while I have a modest amount of hypermobility in my hips, I was glad to get back on the T800, though the Striple R was fun, it's a younger man's bike for practicality.

My wife (figures and numbers shall remain anonymous for the protection of all concerned parties) hated the tiny triangle that passes for a pillion seat and the pegs are much too high for any degree of comfort over 20miles distance.

The Versys wasn't the best for pillion comfort, the T800 was much better, the Striple was a non-starter, the Tiger 1050 Sport was very good, but the Explorer is like an armchair (be it a rather quick one)  :028:

Offline Turbo100

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 17 Tiger 800 XRt
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 01:57:38 PM »
Before I decided on the Tiger I took a street triple for a 4 hour test ride, I got 3 or 4 miles down the road and returned to the dealer. My 65 year old body suddenly felt like I was 90. My neck and back, hips and knees were screaming in discomfort.
The rep had a look of astonishment on his face when I returned after only 15 mins, he thought at first I had dropped it, I assured him nothing faulty with the bike just me  :189:
I do remember it was very nippy and it was happy when the front wheel wasn't on the floor
I'm Not As Old As I Once Was !!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch