Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Riding through France...a word of warning  (Read 1117 times)

Offline triumphant

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
Riding through France...a word of warning
« on: June 20, 2018, 01:57:48 PM »
Hi all,

I've just come back from an excellent trip out to the Pyrenees and back.  The weather was appalling but the Tiger was brilliant.  Here's the thing, the Tiger tank will give you between 160 and 190 miles depending on what you're up to so that means a few fill ups.  I'm not sure who's heard but there is a card holding fee that's come into place here in the UK if you pay at the pump so when it says you can fill up to 99, the company can sometimes charge you that 99 regardless of what you put in and then you have to wait for their fuel funds to clear before they release the extra money back to you.  Well...in France they are doing exactly the same.  I was being charged between 125 and 150 Euro plus fuel at every fill if I paid at the pump and given most are card payment at the pump these days they rather have you over a barrel.  I'm not saying they will all do it but it's something to watch out for as you can cane through your bank account or credit amount very quickly.  I have nearly 800 Euro I'm waiting to get back!

Just a heads up in case you're planning a Euro trip.
2018 Tiger 800 XRT
2017 Street Triple RS (Black)

Steve McQueen rode a Triumph...enough said.

Online grizzlybear

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger 800 ABS
Re: Riding through France...a word of warning
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 02:33:46 PM »
Never heard of that before :107:
I only use prepaid cards though, so I assume it won't apply tho me :084:
I be in Pyrenees next week
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,tiger800 and loads of C90`s  :)

Offline triumphant

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 02:36:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by grizzlybear [+]
Never heard of that before :107:
I only use prepaid cards though, so I assume it won't apply tho me :084:
I be in Pyrenees next week

Hopefully you'll be lucky.  I have been told it's very new and as such no everyone is doing it.  Might just be the thieving toll and main road ones.  Enjoy the Pyrenees!
2018 Tiger 800 XRT
2017 Street Triple RS (Black)

Steve McQueen rode a Triumph...enough said.

Offline Kerryman

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger xrx
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 02:54:34 PM »
Happened to me 2 years ago, I noticed it only happened on my debit card,I used the credit card a few times and nothing was added.

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC & Explorer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 03:14:31 PM »
Although the process is not that new, this issue has been in the news recently...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44052530

A Mastercard spokesperson told the BBC: "Last year, a change in industry rules meant that petrol stations with automated fuel pumps were required to pre-authorise a value equivalent to a full tank of fuel, so that customers didn't fill up with more fuel than they could afford."

"If customers don't have the required funds in their bank account, a further step is available to petrol stations which allows them to check what available funds a customer has, enabling a lower value of fuel to be dispensed," the spokesperson explained. In short, that means that if you only have 40 available in your account, you will only be able to buy 40-worth of petrol, under the new system.

According to reports, the company running the petrol station should never be able to charge the full 99 (unless you dispense that much fuel) and they're supposed to remove the pre-charge once you've completed the transaction. There should never be a delay in removing the pre-charge from your card account, but I guess the companies involved are dragging their heels on this. I'm sure for some people it could be painful, or at least annoying.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Blue XRx
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 07:20:10 AM »
As stated, not everyone is doing it.
Just spent 2 weeks driving down to the Cevanne region and back, many fill ups, and not once come across this.
It is true though that many are now card payment only.

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 09:33:31 AM »
A lot of the card only pumps in Australia do that as well but they only charge the card with amount you preselect then credit back the difference between that and what you use so if you preselect $20 and use $18 they charge $20 then credit back $2.

Offline DonVulpes

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XRT
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 05:25:34 PM »
It happens on the BPMe app too. I usually use my Amex charge card, so it's a non-issue, but the first time I saw the 99 charged to it, I did worry.
Doesn't matter where I'm going, getting there on two wheels is always the better option.

Offline Wight Biker

• Tiger Pro
  • Never too old to ride.....
  • Bike: Tiger 800 R
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 10:12:18 AM »
Just come back from a trip to the Dordogne using a credit card in the auto pumps for every fuel stop. Have checked online transactions and not one pump took more than the fuel cost.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 06:50:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wight Biker [+]
Just come back from a trip to the Dordogne using a credit card in the auto pumps for every fuel stop. Have checked online transactions and not one pump took more than the fuel cost.

It's not an issue with credit cards usually and the issue isn't the vendor taking too much.
What they do when you stick the card in the pump is pre-authorise a certain amount (usually 99 in the UK) then release what you haven't spent shortly after the sale.
If you have a debit or pre-paid card, these pre-authorisations can quickly add up if they're not released in good time, with the risk that you run out of usable funds.

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Recent Topics