Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Brake Pads  (Read 1543 times)

Offline restandplay

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XCx
Rear Brake Pads
« on: June 22, 2018, 04:13:41 PM »
Hi

Had my bike serviced 1,500 miles ago (6,000) mile service at 5,480 miles. No mention of the rear brake pads but today whilst in another garage having some new tyres fitted the fitter drew my attention to the rear pads that were completely worn out. The 6,000 mile service cost over 320 pounds which I thought was a rip off anyway.  Do you think they should have noticed the pads were near their end? Is 6,800 miles about right for rear pads. Some very hard riding in the Pyrenees for about 50% of the total miles.

Derek

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Rear Brake Pads
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 04:18:22 PM »
Depends how you use your rear brake, mine only gets used for a bit of trail braking when I'm pushing on so they last a good while (20K IIRC)

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Alunr

• Tiger Master
  • Alun
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 07:28:48 PM »
I bought my Tiger at just over 6000 miles and the back brake pads had come up as an advisory when they mot'd it before I bought it. So they replaced the pads. I am now at 19600 and the same rear pads have just passed the MOT with no advisory. But I also am a very light user of the rears.
Give a man a fish and he'll demand chips, a six pack of stella, 20 fags and a scratch card to go with it. Make him do some work for his fish. He'll aporeciate it more.

Offline Cats

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 07:43:15 PM »
I use both front and rear all the time, my bike is on nearly 15,000 miles and I've got through nearly two sets. I reckon after next weeks trip to Scotland i'll be replacing both front and rear.
I always ride two up, so a bit of extra weight to haul up. Don't bother me how long they last, like tyres, it's your life, or someone elses, take your pick. For the price they are cheap.

Offline eccyboway

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 01:45:59 PM »
I have just had my 30,000 mile service and the original back brake pads needed changing, amazed at how long they lasted.

Offline Bassman

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger XCx
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 03:23:45 AM »
Most of my riding is two up with luggage tent etc.And on the last three bikes I've owned I've gone through two sets of rear pads to one front set.ON the Xcx I get about 9-10km out a set of rear pads .Still on the original fronts.

Offline gjfconsult

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 09:55:02 PM »
Mine did exactly the same. Was fine 6 months ago, now completely down to the metal. Just fitted EBC Double H Brake Pads - FA140HH on the rear. Such an easy job on the tiger, use to be such a beast on my old bike.

Anyone got the part number for the EBC fronts for a 2016 Tiger XRT. Thanks

Offline NORTY

• Tiger Master
  • RiderCoach
  • Bike: 2012 800XC
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 04:51:10 AM »
I'm at 44,XXX miles. Just replaced my 2nd set of rears. Didn't really need to, but I figured I was just below 50% so I did the change.
MSF RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!) :)

Offline Ace23

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 09:17:31 PM »
mine need replacing this week on my 2015 XRx after 10k miles now who's going to recommend what? Sintered or Mineral I have read that if I put sintered on the rear I must also do the same on the fronts I do like to feel the rear brake so don't want it locking up or too grabby.

Offline kokkios

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 09:39:17 PM »
I am at 17K miles and still on the original pads both front and rear

Recent Topics