Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What if.  (Read 1855 times)

Offline odum666

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrt
Re: What if.
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 04:40:13 PM »
I remove one link cos i changed the sprocket size and the wheel moved back.. If you have standard gearing and you've run out of adjustment then that chain is for the bin. Dont risk it.
when you sit on a sports bike you feel special...when you sit on an adventure bike you feel something special is going to happen!!

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 12:53:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Terry Ryan [+]
Why 2 links? I've just done this (one Link) with my XT500 ( ratios i'm using mean that standard chain is almost at end of adjustment when new, need to take a link out after a few thousand k's, & have done to other bikes numerous times, also used to use half links to get adjustment on some bikes

Depends what you call a "link", one pitch is the distance between two pins, one pitch has either the outside plates, or the inside piece with the rollers, if you just take off the outside plates then you'll have two inners with no way of connecting them, you need to take out a set of outer and inner, i.e. two pitches, this then reduces the length a lot.

Having had a chain snap at 80mph on a motorway and take a lump out of the lower crankcase back in the day when pennies were short to "make it last till payday" I would join those who say, don't do it, simply not worth the consequences  :028:

Offline Griessmail

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2012 Roadie
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 02:00:19 AM »
I agree with these last 2 posts. Bad idea. You can actually have the chain get so worn that it will rounds off the top of the teeth on the sprocket. Then the chain could spin over the sprocket and come off. Happened to me once, when I was too cheap to replace a worn chain, and just kept adjusting the rear wheel back and back.

Offline Tigermainia

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRx
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 08:26:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
Triumph offer a chain wear measurement procedure in the Owner's Manual that states: "If the length exceeds the maximum service limit, the chain must be replaced."
A worn-out chain will still be worn-out  -- no matter how short you make it...  :191:

Correct  :0461: :460:
From '61 to present - BSA C12, Royal Enfield Crusader Sports, Tiger 110, T120R Bonnie, BMW R50, Suzuki GT185, T120 Bonnie, KE 175, BMW R75, GSX750, FJ1200, XJR1300, FZ1000, Sprint1050 & Street Triple, Sprint1050, Speedtriple, Sprint1050, Sprint GT, Trophy 1215, Speedtriple & Bonneville, XRx

Offline Frubpato

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 10:43:08 AM »
Many years ago on a Triumph i was on a Europe tour and it became obviuos the chaain adjusters wouldnt go all the way back to the end marks on the swinging arm. I had a very nervy afternon ride from the pyrenees to Bordeaux after the chaain had jumped off the rear sprocket. visions of a locked reaar wheel at 50 mph on a french N road .... i had to get a small hack saw from a French garage and cut the adjusters down so they would actually give me that extra travel  - got me home and the replcement DiD X link chiain transformed the bike.  Clearly my preventative maintenance is much better these days  err....

Recent Topics

winded-staunch