Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Need for real friction on tarmac  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Anakin

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: TT800XRx '15
Need for real friction on tarmac
« on: June 27, 2018, 07:20:25 AM »
Newbie on used but "mint" TT800XRx, only paved roads, was unpleasantly surprised by the Tourance. Previous owner didn't change them because of short mileage. Really plastic, not a rubber! What you think about Pirelli Angel ST? I usually ride alone without luggage, good friction in bad conditions is more important for me than the long life of a tires.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 07:23:08 AM by Anakin »
Chelyabinsk, South Ural, Earth

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Need for real friction on tarmac
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 09:03:00 AM »
Angel ST won't fit the rear and they don't do a 19" front.

Try any of the "trail" tyres.  Am presently using Avon TrailRiders and they are excellent- grippy in wet and dry. 
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline Anakin

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: TT800XRx '15
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 09:15:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Angel ST won't fit the rear and they don't do a 19" front.

Try any of the "trail" tyres.  Am presently using Avon TrailRiders and they are excellent- grippy in wet and dry.

Thank you! I'm not seen a sites of tire traders yet and don't know about sizes. Just kept in my mind perfect quality of Angel.
OK, I'll turn my attention on the Avon...
Chelyabinsk, South Ural, Earth

Offline Simbo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XRX (2015)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 08:58:13 PM »
i fitted Pilot road 5 trails top my XRX before a road trip to the Pyrenees - OMG they are awesome in the wet, i road through what could only be described as a monsoon last month and i had 100% confidence - since been home in the sun of the last month or so I've discovered that it is such fun scraping the pegs on the old girl - there is that much grip!

Offline Alunr

• Tiger Master
  • Alun
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 08:27:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Simbo [+]
i fitted Pilot road 5 trails top my XRX before a road trip to the Pyrenees - OMG they are awesome in the wet, i road through what could only be described as a monsoon last month and i had 100% confidence - since been home in the sun of the last month or so I've discovered that it is such fun scraping the pegs on the old girl - there is that much grip!

:0461:

I have PR5 trails on my ABS roadie. They feel really grippy. Both dry and wet. As an every day rider (except heavy snow and ice days) grip and security are important to me. PR5's do the job.
Give a man a fish and he'll demand chips, a six pack of stella, 20 fags and a scratch card to go with it. Make him do some work for his fish. He'll aporeciate it more.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 04:22:17 PM »
Personally, I can't feel any difference between the PR4 and Road 5

They're both superb so I'm going back to the 4s next

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Maxrock

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 01:54:45 PM »
+1 for the PR4s, superb tyres. Just completed 10 days across Europe in total confidence. Not tried the 5's yet but had the 2's on my Honda and they where really good too.

Offline Alunr

• Tiger Master
  • Alun
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 02:38:25 PM »
I had 2's on my old Honda, then 4's on the Tiger (replaced a pair of scorpions when I first got it) then went to 5's at the last change. I agree that I can't really feel a difference between 4's and 5's. But generally PR's are my tyre of choice. I suppose though, a bit of it is about what you're used to.
Give a man a fish and he'll demand chips, a six pack of stella, 20 fags and a scratch card to go with it. Make him do some work for his fish. He'll aporeciate it more.

Offline Simbo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XRX (2015)
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 07:48:27 PM »
well 5,000 miles on and mid winter the PR5's are exceeding the PR4's for both grip and wear - i got just over 6K out of each set of PR4's but am expecting to get over 8 on the PR5's and they are superior in the wet and awesome in the dry. Will be sticking with PR5's when i change onto the 5th set of tires later this year (sorry for the pun)

Recent Topics