Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Got numb hands?  (Read 12262 times)

Offline Jonny2001

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
Got numb hands?
« on: June 21, 2011, 05:19:51 AM »
Managed to put 2700km on the bike up until now despite some pretty crappy weather and I've continued to have the same problem I tended to have with the previous bike only a bit worse. If I ride on a straight road for a few minutes, my hands tend to get real numb. I can shake the left hand loose, but the right one's on the gas so I sometimes have to speed up a little, pull the clutch in and release the gas so I can take my hand off the grip and shake it off. The problem doesn't come up riding city streets because I'm constantly moving around shifting, braking, accelerating, etc.

Anyone got some tricks to deal with this? I was wondering if making my grips larger might help, but I haven't found many larger diameter grips that aren't chromed for a cruiser. I find the stock grips a little small for my hands (was the same on the Versys). Gripping the bars so tight isn't that comfortable.

Thanks!

Offline t8coco

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: SPEED TRIPLE R
Re: Got numb hands?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 09:14:10 AM »
 Sounds like you are holding the bars too tight, the heated grips are bigger and might help. Or maybe try moving the bars back of get some risers, have you used different gloves, maybe some winter/ padded ones? Possibly just slow down and relax a bit and this might help  :027: I find the Tiger one of the smoothest vibe free bikes i have ridden and have no issue, good luck hope you a solution  :001:
Steve

Offline yiannis

• Tiger Master
  • Greece->Seattle->Barcelona
  • Bike: XC ABS
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:06:30 AM »
 :0461:

Offline SeanD_Colorado

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: T800XC ABS White
Got numb hands?
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 01:58:34 PM »
I tend to find the stock grips a little small as well. But when I ride, I tend to more or less just lay my hands across the grips with a couple of fingers over the controls. I don't do it so much to cover the controls, I just find it comfortable to ride that way. I don't notice any vibration to speak of, no numbing in the hands.

My wife uses the Grab-on grip covers on her GS. She really likes them. She was complaining about some vibration problems on her bike, and they seemed to have solved it for her. They seem to work well with the heated grips.
http://www.grabongrips.com/motorcycle.php

Offline TampaJim

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800,
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 02:03:31 PM »
Try Grip Puppies of some other similar foam slip-on grip cover.. Even if they don't help you are only out $10 and nothing has been forever altered.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 08:03:05 PM by TAMPAJIM »
Jim

Offline GringoRojo

• Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
  • Tiger Jedi
  • a Doonhamer in exile
  • Bike: TigerXC ABS
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 04:18:34 PM »
I only got numb hands after the heated grips were fitted. and no I don't have tiny hands. I don't consider the bike to be vibey though.
Countries I've ridden: Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Switzerland, Spain, Andorra, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Canada (hired bike).
Memorable places: Applecross, Barra, Calanish, Lascaux, Pyrenees, Connemara, Tofino, Lillooet, Sulphur Mountain, Nordkapp, Dalsnibba, Borgund stavkirke.

Offline Mtl_Tiger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: K1300GT
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 04:37:09 PM »
I was getting numb hands too (mostly the right hand) in the beginning.  And it wasn't happening with my BMW (maybe partially because of the cruise control which I'd often use on the highway).

Anyway, it took awhile, but I finally realized that I was holding the throttle much too tightly and now I'm able to relax my right hand so much that even after a ride yesterday of 400+ km I didn't haven't any problem with my hands. 

(I don't have heated grips, and use a rather thin summer glove from BMW called the Airflow II.)

Cheers!
Eldor - Montreal
2011 BMW K1300GT Exclusive Edition
2011 White Triumph Tiger 800 ABS

Offline knokinonabit

• Tiger Master
  • 125 trail, Honda NS400R, Black Tiger 800 ABS R
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 07:48:59 PM »
When riding my Fazer 600 I constantly had a numb right hand after about ten miles or so. After a 2 hour plus test ride on the Tiger I had no problems at all. I realised that I was putting more weight on my wrists/hands on the Fazer and my arms were more tense. Made a conciouse effort to use more weight through the pegs with my feet and relax my upper body and it worked. No more numb hand. I have to keep working at it cos if I go back to my old style, numb right hand.

Roll on the Tiger.
fish and chips make my leathers shrink

Offline docflanders

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Black XC ABS
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 07:28:35 PM »
Try a crampbuster on the throttle as it allows you to loosen your grip and control the gas with the heel of your hand.

http://www.scottoiler.com/uk/Accessories/Crampbuster-Standard/flypage.tpl.html
http://www.crampbuster.com/

Doc

Offline knokinonabit

• Tiger Master
  • 125 trail, Honda NS400R, Black Tiger 800 ABS R
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 08:36:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by docflanders [+]
Try a crampbuster on the throttle as it allows you to loosen your grip and control the gas with the heel of your hand.

http://www.scottoiler.com/uk/Accessories/Crampbuster-Standard/flypage.tpl.html
http://www.crampbuster.com/

Doc

Thanks Doc. Hopefully with the Tiger I won't need one.
fish and chips make my leathers shrink

Recent Topics

winded-staunch