Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear brake pads wearing weird and dragging.  (Read 1500 times)

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Rear brake pads wearing weird and dragging.
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 07:10:57 AM »
Sure'n you'll have dealers over there.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline herdygerdy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 17 White XRT
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 09:02:57 AM »
Have you checked out Muddysump's video on changing brake pads? 

/>
After removing the pads, he CAREFULLY and SLOWLY pumps the piston out slightly and you can clearly see all the brake dust grunge that builds up around the outside of the piston.

If that is not cleaned off really well around the WHOLE perimeter of the piston BEFORE pushing it all the way back in to fit the new pads, then all the brake dust grunge goes in with the piston and mungs up both the dust seal and the piston seals.  This puts extra pressure on the seals and would definitely be contributing to the piston being reluctant to fully and freely  retract back into the caliper, thereby causing the binding of the pad on the disc.

Of course your challenge is how to thoroughly clean ALL the way round the outside of piston itself.

Mr Sump uses a special pair of caliper piston pliers that enables him to rotate the piston while still in the caliper by grasping it from inside the piston.  This does not damage it's 'seal critical' outer surface.  This encouraged me to buy my own which I now use regularly with great effect

Given the age & mileage of your Tiger, it is quite possible this nasty (dare I say lazy) 'push the piston back in without properly cleaning it first ' thing could have happened (even many times) when a PO or others (incl. the dealer mechs) have done a pad change in a hurry.

Probably worth investing in a set of these caliper piston pliers, pushing the piston out with the brake pedal/lever and rotating it during the clean to make sure it is spotless all the way around.

If you're lucky, it might improve it.  If not, it is definitely time for piston out, clean the caliper internally, paying particular attention to getting the valleys in which the seals are seated surgically clean, new dust and piston seals and (IMHO) for peace of mind, new pistons.

After all, they are brakes and your life (and that of others) depend on it.

Keep us posted.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:08:16 AM by herdygerdy »

Offline dazza76

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 03:29:26 PM »
I had a slightly bent bolt that retains the caliper, it was the front one with the 14mm head from memory. I'm assuming the previous owner or whoever did the servicing had maybe not seated the inner pad properly at some point or something, had to replace the bolt. Might be worth checking the bolts or dead straight.

Offline Kowalski

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger xc
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 04:00:26 PM »
Thanks for all the great replies. I have seen the muddy sump videos but have never come across those piston pliers, so no, the piston has never been rotated. The bike has never been dealer serviced so i can honestly say that every time i change pads i spray it all down with brake cleaner. As my eyesight isn't what it used to be, when i took a picture (see below) of the piston and enlarged it, i was amazed to see the pitting on the surface. I have a new used caliber on its way from flea bay as it was the same price as piston/ seals which are 10 days away, no stock in Canada.. Hopefully its in good nick, but if that caliper is no better i can at least use it for parts.

Recent Topics