Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mixed feelings........  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Decaf

• Tiger Member
  • "There's no school like old school"
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Mixed feelings........
« on: July 11, 2018, 01:48:33 PM »

Sad day yesterday, after much cogitation bolstered by very little in the way of support from the local Triumph dealer, I rode the Tiger to the Kawasaki dealership and handed it over in part exchange for a new Versys 1000 GT.

Usual indifference from a Triumph dealer who currently doesn't have to 'sell' any bikes, just take orders for them apparently.  Offered me an insulting amount for a trade in against a 2018 model, so off to pastures new I went.

After several different test rides and discussions about trade in values - extra kit extra, Mr Kawasaki came good, hence the Versys purchase - and I'm very happy with the deal.
So it's very much a case of - mixed emotions.  :158:
"Goodnight....and may your god go with you"
 (The late & great Dave Allen)

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Blue XRx
Re: Mixed feelings........
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 02:07:44 PM »
Hi decaf.
It seems that some of us lucky ones have great support from our local dealer and the unlucky ones like yourself don't.
Not to worry. There aren't many bad bikes out there today.
Enjoy your new kawasaki.
If you don't, I'm sure Mr triumph will then offer a good deal if you want to come back.

Offline Nick_2112

• Tiger Master
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 04:23:50 PM »
I think this crops up more than it should with Triumph.

Remember the early days, when they were building the up brand, they couldn't do enough for you!

Now, they seem very overpriced on servicing and miserly on trade in values. And a general blase attitude to keeping existing customers.

I love my XC, but would seriously consider whether to get another Triumph.

Having said that, i've had similar experience with Honda in the past.

My nearest dealer, ahem....... Suzuki, is fantastic, problem is IMO, Suzuki haven't made anything i'm interested in for ages.

Offline biscut1975

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 04:07:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Nick_2112 [+]

My nearest dealer, ahem....... Suzuki, is fantastic, problem is IMO, Suzuki haven't made anything i'm interested in for ages.

For me, I loved my Suzuki V Strom 650, would still have it if the newer version had cruise control on it, otherwise it was an awesome machine and well balanced (far as I am concerned anyway)

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 05:39:04 PM »
I tested a Versys 1000 - good choice

Loved it, smooth and powerful, easy to ride and comfortable.
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Anakin

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: TT800XRx '15
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 07:07:44 AM »
Very different bikes: light "country road explorer" and powerful "asphalt eater".

It is difficult to me to understand how it possible to make a choice by dealer's "spiritual qualities".
My dealer in 200 km from my home and the next one in almost 2000 :)
Chelyabinsk, South Ural, Earth

Offline Dirtbag

• Tiger Member
  • Your motorcycle is more important.
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 07:39:49 AM »
Glad your happy with you new versys  You will need to Give it a few months , you will love it or hate it. If you can be happy on less costly Asian built motorcycles . Your a lucky person. I wish I could . I have had test rides on several Japanese built  motorcycles including a versus  in the last few years . Could not find one that did it for me.

European market is total different then the Asain Market . They are selling a product that is limited production and has a feel and design that is very different then the Asain competition to a smaller market segment that is willing to pay extra for it.   

Often I wonder why someone would want to buy a fairly new used Asain bike when you can buy a brand new one 2 or three years old cheaper .They flood the markets so badly this often happens and dealers have to deep discounts just to move the bikes and often take a loss. I guess dealers make it up in volume or they just get by until they just can't make it anymore.
I guy I new had a asian motorcycle dealership . He said he could not believe that he could have a business that he would have to invest and spend so much money to make so little profit. He sold it soon after he told me this.

Honda sells more bikes in one month then all the europeans company's sell in 10 years , well maybe not but its not far off.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:26:40 AM by Dirtbag »

Offline Bilbad

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrx
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 08:22:23 AM »
I live in Canvey Island, Essex, so when I was looking to change my 08 Bonneville T100 I went to the nearest Triumph dealer, Laguna (Kent) to look at a T120. They were very friendly and helpful regarding a test ride on both the T120 and the Bobber. As I'm 64, 5' 6", I was thinking that this would probably be my last bike. I have arthritis in my "Go Faster" hand and the weight of big bikes was getting too much which is why I sold my GL1800 and went to a Buell Ulysses and then to the Bonneville. I loved both bikes but I was planning a trip to France with friends for this July and the both bikes didn't really fit my requirements. Also, in my head I need to justify owning a bike so I like to go shopping and do all my general running around on 2 wheels. They offered me 2100 for my Bonny against a new Triumph. I was tempted to try a BMW but my mates son works for them and said their quality was going downhill, so I asked Laguna if I could try a Tiger? They had about 7 used Tigers but said it wasn't possible to have a test ride today, can I come back another time? By the time I got home it was too late to ride anything that day but I went on the internet to find somewhere closer to home that had a Tiger I could test ride. I found a 2015 XRx at Belle Vue motorcycles. I've bought bikes from Belle Vue (Honda dealership) in Southend before, so I called them at 9am the following day. I spoke to Glen and arranged a test ride at 10am. When I got there Glen said have a good look around and let him know if there were any other bikes I wanted to ride and they would get them ready. There were a few I fancied : Ducati Multistrada 1200 S, BMW 1200 GS, Honda Africa Twin, to name but a few. Glen said if I wanted to have a good long ride that was fine. It was love at first sight, well actually not "Sight" as I think all of these style bikes are pretty ugly, but certainly love at first twist! I rode for an hour and knew I had to have a Tiger 800. There was no luggage on the bike so we sat down and went through the options. They wanted 8995 for the bike plus new Givi Trekker Outback panniers and a new rear seat as the old one had a tiny hole in it. Then the dreaded "How much for mine" question. 4000. Yes, 4000, nearly DOUBLE what Laguna offered. I paid 4750 plus my Bonny. Deal done. When I was cleaning the Tiger the following weekend I found the front mudguard was cracked around the mounting holes. I called Glen and he ordered a new replacement F.O.C. Dealer attitude counts for so much.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:24:39 AM by Bilbad »

Offline Dirtbag

• Tiger Member
  • Your motorcycle is more important.
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 08:28:56 AM »
I love my tiger too. Glad you found a bike that puts a smile on you face.  :123:

Offline Psychopasta

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 03:11:42 PM »
Hey Decaf,

I'd be interested to hear your views on the big Versys. It's on my radar too  :001:

- Pasta

Recent Topics

winded-staunch