Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 800 alternatives  (Read 2453 times)

Offline stiffler

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Black 800 roadie
Re: Tiger 800 alternatives
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 09:37:51 AM »
The 1200 Multi is a fantastic progression from the Tiger.  I swapped from a Tiger to the Multi 5 years ago and never looked back.  You get used to the gearbox quite quickly and the power is just awesome.  A simple swap down 1 tooth on the front sprocket or 2 up on the rear smooths out the lumpiness down low around suburban corners.  Fuel economy I found is similar when touring.  I am up for a new bike now and looked at an explorer (heavy) and revisited the 800 but they proved to be pricey in Australia.  I am going with a BMW S1000XR so time will tell if I made the right choice.  If anybody is considering a multi 950 I would seriously recommend they ride a 1200 also.
Grant.

Offline Dirtbag

• Tiger Member
  • Your motorcycle is more important.
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 06:11:03 AM »
A dude I ride with sometimes, bought a new s1000xr several months ago , he was so excited when he first bought it. I ran into hm on a group ride a few weeks ago and asked about the new s1000xr . He said  it does the job , but not to exciting, he says he misses his duc hyperstrada . It was so much more exciting. But just broke to much .

Offline The Reaper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRX
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 08:14:29 AM »
I like the look of the 950 multistrada, but one thing that I couldnt live without now on my main bike is cruise control which it doesnt have.
The 800 is pretty much bang on for my needs, apart from the height. Due to a bad leg I wouldnt be able to manage anything heavier anyway.
I have always said though, that if Triumph were to bring out a half faired Street Triple with a 19 litre tank I could be tempted...

Offline MrFinch

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: '66 800 XRX
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 11:08:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by The Reaper [+]
I like the look of the 950 multistrada, but one thing that I couldnt live without now on my main bike is cruise control which it doesnt have.
The 800 is pretty much bang on for my needs, apart from the height. Due to a bad leg I wouldnt be able to manage anything heavier anyway.
I have always said though, that if Triumph were to bring out a half faired Street Triple with a 19 litre tank I could be tempted...

When I bought my Tiger I scoffed at the cruise control.  Nah, I don't need that!  I have had the bike less than a month and I already consider it a must-have for any future bike purchase, I don't know how I lived without it for so long!
2016 Roadie called "Betty"

Offline ChrisD

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 01:26:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Davy [+]
Parked the tiger in front of the local ducati dealer today, where she waited while i tested the multistrada 950 for half an hour ...

:192: :182: :005:

Some positives, some negatives ... multistrada is more stable in corners, better brakes. As a road bike it is more capable, and a pure road bike is what im after ... Most importantly: the engine growl gives me goosebumps even with the standard exhaust, even though the press reviews say its to well-behaved for a ducati (its the first ducati i ever tried). The torque is addictive. I started the testdrive in touring mode, but sport mode gives a more direct response while still not being intimidating. Oh, and those ducati looks  :156:

On the negative ... i've had 3 false neutrals during that half hour. Its a ducati things apparently ... shifting needs to be done more deliberately. Not sure if want to get used to that. The bike also dives more while braking, but the suspension is adjustable. Also, forget about plodding along through town in a high gear and low rpm ...

But ... a MTS950 + alarm + panniers in matching color is cheaper than a tiger 800 XRT without top or side panniers ...  :084:

Next up: ktm adventure 1090  :002:

Hi Davy.
I have also been looking at alternatives. I tried the 950 Multistrada. I had no problems with the gears (I do have two Ducatis so I may be used to the gearboxes) but the fork dive was awful. I tried a 1200 Multi a couple of years ago but didn't like the way the front tucked on roundabouts and slow corners. I may try a DVT Multi to see if it is better. I will be interested on your view of the KTM 1090. I like the look of them.
Current bikes: 800 Roadie. Also Ducati 900 Monster, 916 and Guzzi Breva 750.

Offline Davy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 silver xrt
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 08:58:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by ChrisD [+]
Hi Davy.
I have also been looking at alternatives. I tried the 950 Multistrada. I had no problems with the gears (I do have two Ducatis so I may be used to the gearboxes) but the fork dive was awful. I tried a 1200 Multi a couple of years ago but didn't like the way the front tucked on roundabouts and slow corners. I may try a DVT Multi to see if it is better. I will be interested on your view of the KTM 1090. I like the look of them.

The suspension of the 950 is adjustable though, so it should be easy to fix i guess.

Im hoping to test the ktm in 2 weeks.

Offline Boz

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XRX
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 10:54:42 AM »
As my '15 plate XRX is paid off, I too have been looking at alternatives.  I have tested a BMW R1200GS, A VStrom (650), a Yamaha MT07 and 09 GT.  I liked the GS but its immensely expensive and the parts looked pricey too.  the one that did surprise me was the Yami 900 GT. I really liked it.  The engine is a peach, dare I say it it seemed smoother than the XRX. its also 20BHP more powerful. It comes standard with a lot of goodies as standard - TFT screen, cruise, adjustable suspension, front and rear, panniers and heated grip.  My only reservation was that I found the knee angle a bit tighter than the XRX which could be ab issue for long distance touring but the is a personal thing.  Also cheaper that the Triumph, from memory.  Try one if you haven't.

Offline ChrisD

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 01:10:15 PM »
Good review, thanks :152:
Current bikes: 800 Roadie. Also Ducati 900 Monster, 916 and Guzzi Breva 750.

Offline raylo

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Wh T800 ABS road
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 11:58:26 AM »
I am also "looking" to replace my 2012 T800 roadie.  Cruise control is a must for my next bike so the Multi 950 is out.  I can't believe Duc made that boner, such a simple thing to add.  Tracer-09 GT looks very interesting.  I have a mate who has an older MT-09 and loves it. I need to go give one a sit and see if it fits but if it is tighter than the Tiger that may not work for my long legs (and bad knees).  These are just now trickling into the states and my dealer doesn't have one yet.  I might just end up with a T800 XRX.

*Originally Posted by Boz [+]
the one that did surprise me was the Yami 900 GT. I really liked it.  The engine is a peach, dare I say it it seemed smoother than the XRX. its also 20BHP more powerful. It comes standard with a lot of goodies as standard - TFT screen, cruise, adjustable suspension, front and rear, panniers and heated grip.  My only reservation was that I found the knee angle a bit tighter than the XRX which could be ab issue for long distance touring but the is a personal thing.  Also cheaper that the Triumph, from memory.  Try one if you haven't.

Offline Davy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 silver xrt
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 12:17:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by raylo [+]
... I need to go give one a sit and see if it fits but if it is tighter than the Tiger that may not work for my ...

Sorry ... its friday ...

Recent Topics

winded-staunch