Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: riding in france  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Mattytiger800

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800 abs
riding in france
« on: July 19, 2018, 07:42:23 PM »
Hi all,
I will be riding in france/belgium on saturday 28th july for a week. I have the breathaliser ready and reflective stickers on my helmet etc. Has anyone actually ever been stopped by the french police? and also what is there to be wary of whilst riding france?
Happy riding people
Professional tinkerer, novice green laner and arm chair racer

Offline Underlord

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRt
Re: riding in france
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 09:26:47 PM »
I just got back from France over a week ago. My second time on a bike. This year was just Normandy mostly but last year I rode down to the Alps, into Switzerland and then Italy.
Riding in France is a dream, just as long as you avoid major cities. Been to France many times by car but the last two trips were by bike. In all that time I have never been stopped once.
Still, on each occasion I made sure I had all the stuff that's required, except for the breathalyser, which is a bit of a grey area. If you have one, take it. If you need to go out and buy one, I wouldn't bother, it's not a legal requirement (as I understand it)
Enjoy France - I know you will!
One Life. No God. Live It.

Offline grizzlybear

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 10:08:50 PM »
Actually a breathalizer is a legal requirement but the fine is zero :087:
Make sure your satnav doesn't warn you of speed cameras.

France rocks,  enjoy your ride :123:
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,tiger800 and loads of C90`s  :)

Offline Tigermainia

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRt
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 08:49:22 AM »
Just got back a week ago, be aware that from 1st July all roads outside of built up areas other than the major routes (peages) are now 80kph !!!!!!!!!
From '61 to present - BSA C12, Royal Enfield Crusader Sports, Tiger 110, T120R Bonnie, BMW R50, Suzuki GT185, T120 Bonnie, KE 175, BMW R75, GSX750, FJ1200, XJR1300, FZ1000, Sprint1050 & Street Triple, Sprint1050, Speedtriple, Sprint1050, Sprint GT, Trophy 1215, Speedtriple & Bonneville, XRx, XRt

Offline rugby536

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Sexy Orange XC
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 11:28:32 AM »
I live in France so I do all my riding over here.  In 14 years I've never been stopped.  My understanding is that satnav speed camera warning is OK as long as it identifies a "Danger Area" and not the exact location of the camera.  A danger area could be a stretch of road a few Km's long. 

It's fairly notorious that the police set up mobile speed camera's on nice weather days.  Keep your eye out for people flashing you in the other direction as this is the warning that there is a speed check ahead.  I've had personal experience a few times of them waiting at the end of tunnels with the speed guns.  This is because tunnels normally have a lower speed limit than the road.

The signal to say thank you for a driver moving over so you can overtake is to take your right leg of the peg and straighten it out a bit after you have overtaken.

Offline Mattytiger800

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800 abs
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »
are the speed limits in france well sign posted or are you just expected to know them alot of the time?
Professional tinkerer, novice green laner and arm chair racer

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 09:10:26 PM »
Just take it easy through the towns and villages (50kph) and you won't have much of a problem out in the country
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Grumps

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 09:13:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mattytiger800 [+]
are the speed limits in france well sign posted or are you just expected to know them alot of the time?

Well posted. As above, ride sensibly and you are very unlikely to get stopped.

As a guide, Roughly

80kph = 50mph
70kph = 44mph   Mostly used at country junctions
50kph = 30mph    Towns

Enjoy the ride
2018 Xca. BMW K1600GTL. Suzuki GT380

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline prenticemarie

• Tiger Master
  • Moto2 GP - Hinckley Triples from 2019 !
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 02:03:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mattytiger800 [+]
are the speed limits in France well sign posted or are you just expected to know them a lot of the time?
All villages are certainly well signed for speed, and some have speed humps, especially near schools. Generally speed cameras are smaller than ours, no marker lines on road, and are not painted bright yellow like the UK. They are usually, but not always, accompanied by early warning signs.The saving grace is most are forward facing so no number plate recognition for us bikers !

If you ride in the UK wearing a "Canary Yellow", wear it there as well.  :031:
My My, How Time Flies ... 60 Years ... From BSA DBD34 Gold Star To Tiger 800 Road ... 1959 - 2019 !

Offline ZenDog

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XCX
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 01:46:42 PM »
I was recently in France and I found there was sometimes no speed limit sign when entering a town. It took me a while to train myself to look for the town name sign that marks the new limit.

Fixed speed camera's were always well signposted so just go steady for a bit after the sign until you see the camera (low silver boxes).

Recent Topics

winded-staunch