Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Am I bonkers, desperate or having a mid-life crisis?  (Read 1319 times)

Offline messy_garage_man

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
Am I bonkers, desperate or having a mid-life crisis?
« on: July 24, 2018, 12:15:32 PM »
Just joined this excellent forum, been lurking a looong time... and have learnt much. Big, big thanks - a real valuable resource.

I'm mid-fifties, haven't ridden really since my kid born 18 yrs ago, but he and my wife have become :171:, so went out to buy a KTM 1290 Super Adventure S as an anti-depressant. Insurance killed that idea - 3k :005:. I had a hankering for a TEX a few years back but need to build NCB, so maybe start a bit smaller. Daft really, just didn't think to look for a smaller capacity bike till I heard that quote (what a twa :172:).

So thought I'd get a cheap run around, do a year, get the NCB down a bit and go from there. But as always, I look at stuff, and what I itch for creeps up...

... really liking the Tiger 800, had a ride and think 'yes'. Looking to ride for pleasure (escape) mostly, solo tours (I have no friends) UK and EU, weekends and short weeks. Started looking at 2014 Tiger 800s for less than 4k but am now looking at newer, used 800 XRTs (throttle response, h/grips and larger alternator) at 8k'ish.

- Am i mad?
 - Has returning to biking helped solve the 'boring life' problem for anyone?
 - I see no reason not to go for an 800 XRT and keep for several years. I used to keep my bikes for ages, so will likely do here. Reasonable?
 - I see a lot of reds for sale - was red paint limited? I would prefer a white. Any thoughts?
 - Looking at used, so how long to wait for a good deal to turn up on MCN/autotrader/ebay as a rough guide (I see what I think is a good option from a dealer currently)?
 - Would you wait till winter to save cash? I assume sales on T800s are relatively seasonal - is there significant dip in used prices off season? There are lots of nearly new MY2018s with really low miles. Do people buy on a whim then give up? Weird.

Just a way to say hello and to say thanks for all the info in the forums.

Cheers,
-mgm.

Offline Stelyn

• Tiger Pro
  • 2018 XRx
  • Bike: Tiger XRX
Re: Am I bonkers, desperate or having a mid-life crisis?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 02:29:57 PM »
certainly sounds like you have caught the bug agiain, best of luck with your search
    As you have been away from bikes for a while join a local group for some refresher training + good way to meet  friends  :028:
 :031:
`Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with  its head out of the car window '

Offline Psychopasta

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 02:52:02 PM »
Go for it. Tiger is ace, and motorcycling will turn your monochrome life into glorious Technicolor. Find a MC club and get about with mates again!

Good luck,

- Pasta

Offline skinneroo

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger road
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 07:26:26 PM »
Stop procrastinating, get one bought. You will enjoy it and if you don't, sell it. :031:

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 07:31:43 PM »
Gerrit bought &  :401:, loads for sale.

Several branches of TOMCC around London depends which side yer on, some of my pals are in NW London branch. Others in Bexley & Middlesex.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline messy_garage_man

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 12:28:29 PM »
Thanks gents. I see you're all 'enablers'  :492: Woke up this morning after a small night shift, read messages, searched MCN/autotrader/ebay and put a deposit on a '17 plate XRt with 1500 miles  :046:

Didn't think about TOMCC, good idea - I am NW London based... Do need to get my eye/leg-in again! Road users seem shittier than ever generally, so need to get concentration/awareness back-up to scratch. The Tiger I tested was very natural to ride, so hoping it helps make it smooth.

Best replace my 20 yr old Shoeis too! Procrastination cured. Cheers :031:
-mgm.

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 01:14:14 PM »
Erm, in order : No, possibly, no such thing  :017:

All years printed in black and white, red was on early models and I can't remember the other colours as white is by far the best.

I'm 60 (this Saturday), too old to be having another mid-life crisis, think of it more as a lifestyle enhancement, my kids are all in their 30's and left home apart from the youngest who is 29 and appears to be on an elastic band, my wife goes horsey riding most evenings and weekends, so I gotta have a hobby and it's the only good thing about still going to work.

I came back to bikes at 46, so I've managed to accumulate a decent amount of NCD, despite a big off a couple of years ago (thank goodness for protected NCD).

I had my T800 for 3 years and 40,000 miles and now have a Tex, via a 1050, so good call  :028:

Of the 7 bikes I've had since coming back four have been nearly new SH, or ex-factory low milers, the 800 having just over 2,000 miles on the clock and loads of toys, so yes some strange fools do consistently buy bikes and then decide they don't like them/ scare themselves/ insert other random reason  :001:

Buy it, ride it, enjoy it and good luck with the aliens  :008:

Offline T120R

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 T120R
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 05:19:23 PM »
With that long off the bike can I suggest you do as I did and take an advanced motorcycle course, meet loads of friendly bikers and it makes you a much better and safer rider.

Offline messy_garage_man

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 11:06:21 AM »
> as white is by far the best.
Aye, glad I chose the right colour!

> I'm 60 (this Saturday)
:081:
Many happy returns - have a good one. Anything special as its a decade birthday?
:031:

> Buy it, ride it, enjoy it and good luck with the aliens
Thanks!

> suggest you do as I did and take an advanced motorcycle course
Defo on the cards. Need to do a bit more research but always had a hankering to do IAM; many think them old school, but I like that its several sessions, and that there's a test!

-mgm.
--
Gotta get this smiley thing under control... Takes me longer to find the smileys than write a post!

Offline T120R

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 T120R
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 12:24:23 PM »
IAM were definitely not old school, they were a really great bunch of guys (South Cheshire Branch) and you have your own dedicated instructor for the course. Not only did it make me a safer rider but you might be surprised that it made me a quicker one too. On the test I was supervised by a police motorcycle riding instructor, so when you pass that gives you real confidence.

Recent Topics