Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: clutch life  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Simbo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XRX (2015)
clutch life
« on: July 24, 2018, 08:47:01 PM »
So i was wondering what everyone else expects regarding the life of the clutch on the Tiger 800, i consider mine a low mileage 3 year old bike at 21K miles and 2 weeks ago opened up in 5th to hit the red line but no acceleration. Not a major problem as was local and last week i replaced with an EBC clutch for 65 - easy fit and all good, i was just surprised for the clutch to go on such a new bike whicj is solely used for road touring (just really pleased it didn't fail 3 weeks earlier touring the Pyrenees!)

Offline Zaphod

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC, Fazer 600
Re: clutch life
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 09:23:36 PM »
38k on mine, no issue so far, what you been doing with it?  :156:

Offline Simbo

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 10:11:30 PM »
General touring with Sunday blasts, I'm not impressed with the wear rate. Thought I would post just to gauge others experience.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 10:20:03 PM »
Never had a clutch go on a bike. Even my ST955 at 60k miles, all mine, was still good.

My 800XRx does feel like it has a bit of slip if I accelerate hard I sometimes get a bit of judder, has done from new. Unless it's the TC kicking in, that is new to me.

Was it much of a job?
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 11:18:34 PM »
Something possibly overlooked? ... but I like to regularly check that there is the required free play at the clutch cable (lever end) to ensure the plates are fully released and not unknowingly suffering slight constant slippage and wear of the plates due to slight tension on the cable.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 06:31:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
Something possibly overlooked? ... but I like to regularly check that there is the required free play at the clutch cable (lever end) to ensure the plates are fully released and not unknowingly suffering slight constant slippage and wear of the plates due to slight tension on the cable.

First thing we'd look at.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline SOHUTAA

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Xcx
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 10:51:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Simbo [+]
So i was wondering what everyone else expects regarding the life of the clutch on the Tiger 800, i consider mine a low mileage 3 year old bike at 21K miles and 2 weeks ago opened up in 5th to hit the red line but no acceleration. Not a major problem as was local and last week i replaced with an EBC clutch for 65 - easy fit and all good, i was just surprised for the clutch to go on such a new bike whicj is solely used for road touring (just really pleased it didn't fail 3 weeks earlier touring the Pyrenees!)

What EBC reference did you use?
Where did you buy it ?
Welcome shortcut !!
Thank.

Offline Simbo

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 07:41:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by SOHUTAA [+]
What EBC reference did you use?
Where did you buy it ?
Welcome shortcut !!
Thank.

Long delay in reply -sorry - the clutch kit i got was from Square deals : https://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/triumph-tiger-800-ebc-ck1206-clutch-kit-oem-t1174000-fits-all-versions-upto-2017-38051-p.asp 60 plus carriage - 7,000 miles later i've not even had to adjust the clutch cable. When i measured my old plate pack it was 3mm below minimum so it was well and truly shot. This kit is a bargain and have since also replaced all 3 disc pads for EBC which were half the price of OEM parts

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC,XCX, CB1300,
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 03:30:06 AM »
I've done all kinds of riding, on and off road and put 145k km on by 2012 XC. There something not right that you only got 21k mi out of the clutch. Other than a wrong free play or low/bad oil that shouldn't fail.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 04:42:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Simbo [+]
So i was wondering what everyone else expects regarding the life of the clutch on the Tiger 800
I expect indefinite life from my clutch -- I never wear-out clutches.
I once put 122K mi. on a previous bike (not Tri.) -- original clutch.
Some riders use-up clutch friction material -- some don't.
Clutch slipping at low difference in RPM has little effect on friction material wear. It's when the clutch parts (inner & outer) speed differential is great that heat is generated that the clutch must either accommodate or wear.
IOW, for example: starting out w/low engine RPM = low speed differential -- whilst starting out w/high engine RPM (and purposely slipping to get underway) = high speed differential.

*Originally Posted by Paulhere
link=topic=24621.msg273969#msg273969 date=1532467203
My 800XRx does feel like it has a bit of slip if I accelerate hard I sometimes get a bit of judder, has done from new.
Unless it's the TC kicking in, that is new to me.
Don't know, either, 'bout the TC?
But, the judder could be caused by insufficient oil inside the clutch? Often, the symptom is also accompanied by some noise -- like a "squawk"?
If that's suspected, running (whilst immobile) with the clutch dis-engaged and the plates, hopefully, separated my allow some more oil inside. Another remedy has been to drill more holes in the inner basket to allow more oil in.
A change in engine oil (brand/type/vis./?) may help?
Old poem from 'back in the day':
You'll never wear out the Indian Scout -- or its brother the Indian Chief.
They're built like rocks to take hard knocks -- it's the Harleys that give all the grief.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch