Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: SOCIAL VENUE & ACCOMODATION - FRIDAY AND SATURDAY EVENINGS  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Toeknee

• Tiger Pro
  • Formerly bikerboy944
  • Bike: Africa Twin
Re: SOCIAL VENUE & ACCOMODATION - FRIDAY AND SATURDAY EVENINGS
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2018, 11:24:06 AM »
Hurrah! Caroline and I have booked the Premier Inn and as a bonus we will be on the bike next year. Looking forward to seeing you all again.
Tony

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2018, 12:14:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rocket [+]
That would be great, thanks Dilbert. Yep, ideally separate room.

Not getting many suggestions, Cockermouth is a bit away from their usual haunts  :006:

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White 800 Roadie
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2018, 12:25:05 PM »
I just booked Friday and Saturday at 173 quid incl. breakfast, the saver option is no good for me, being self-employed I might need to pull out before it starts so I have to pay a premium. At least they offer this unlike the place in Gloucester this year (which was a nice place on the other hand and a perfect start for the saturday tour)
Live is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: R1200GS, CRF250L
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2018, 04:29:24 PM »
Quick update on the social venue for Friday 10th & Saturday 11th May.

I am in discussion with the Castle Bar in Cockermouth. Over 600 reviews on Trip Advisor ( 4.5/5 and 3rd favourite place to eat in Cockermouth)  They are full every weekend and don't discount food prices, even for groups (believe me, I tried hard) , but they did agree to allocate one of their dining rooms for us for 2 nights.

Lots of character, decent selection of pub grub (follow link for menu), plus a FOC private room are appealing so I have made a provisional booking.

http://www.cockermouth.org.uk/castlebar/The%20Castle%20Bar%20Bar%20Menu%202018.pdf

Only downside is that the room can only fit around 35/36 people for dining. If we have a larger group , then some will have to eat in another room, then join the main group afterwards. 

The other downside is that the Castle Bar is 20 minutes walk from the hotel (which is on the outskirts of town).  I will look into the local taxi service for those who prefer not to walk.

I will be doing a recci of the route, hotel and pub next month.

Some photos via this link

http://www.cockermouth.org.uk/castlebar/gallery.html

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC & Explorer
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2018, 06:12:22 PM »
Looks good.  :028:

A brisk evening stroll from the hotel suits me, so long as it's not raining.  :017:

p.s. I'd be equally happy at the Prem-Inn's bar for the Friday night if knackered from the long ride up though.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 06:15:32 PM by T800XC »

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White 800 Roadie
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2018, 06:13:09 AM »
the Castle Bar looks good to me and I do not mind a little walk
Live is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2018, 01:00:40 PM »
Rocket

The Castle and Frederick's were on my list too, most of the foodie pubs and restaurants are in town, Frederick's is just about 1 mile from the Premier Inn, the Castle is 1.3 miles and one of the furthest, even I can walk that far  :016:

TBH, sorting the accommodation was the biggy, which you've done, the route and food aren't so urgent just yet, somewhere like The Spice Club (Indian), or Tarantella (Italian) may be approachable for a block booking, especially if we fill half the restaurant  :008:

If you need a hand with any aspects of the recce give me a shout, I can give you some input on the "pillion friendly" point of view as well  :017:

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2018, 08:01:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Rocket

...If you need a hand with any aspects of the recce give me a shout, I can give you some input on the "pillion friendly" point of view as well  :017:

Thanks Dilbert. Input on the "pillion friendly" would be useful. See my comments in the General Discussion thread regarding riding time between breaks

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2018, 06:50:52 PM »
Following a visit to the Castle Bar in Cockermouth, I  can now confirm that this will be our social venue for Saturday evening.
We have a separate room and a 3 course meal will be 19 /head.  If our group is larger than 36, then some will dine in another area of the restaurant.

A new menu will be published in Spring 2019 that I will circulate for people to chose from.

Castle Inn is 1.3 miles from the Premier Inn so I will post details of taxis nearer the time.

Due to the travelling distance and variable times of peoples' arrival in Cockermouth, there is no set venue or group meal on Friday night. Attendees are free to make their own eating arrangements on Friday.

However, the easiest option is to use the Brewers Fayre which is next door to the Premier Inn.  It has a good-sized bar and large dining area. I expect most of the group will congregate in the bar and grab a bite to eat here. It saves going into town after a long day travelling and has a decent choice of simple food and drink. 

However, for those wanting something different, there's a choice of restaurants (Italian, Chinese, Indian) and pubs in town (about a mile away).

A few phots inside the Castle Bar, Cockermouth - our venue for Saturday evening.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 07:17:32 PM by Rocket »

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2018, 12:59:50 PM »
Looking Good and all sorted before November !!!!!

winded-staunch