Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Trip to the North of Norway, including route tips  (Read 340 times)

Offline terje

• Tiger Member
Trip to the North of Norway, including route tips
« on: August 04, 2018, 07:30:53 PM »
I had an absolutely wonderful trip up to the north of Norway the past couple weeks! 4000km on my 1 year old Tiger 800 XRt, beautiful weather and scenery. Tented mostly along the way with a night in a rented cabin here and there.

The bike held up great and was surprisingly easy to ride for that long. The ability to stand for periods and change my seating position a bit helps a lot. I'm around 14.000km on the odometer now and the front tire is getting pretty worn so I've ordered a pair of Avon Trailriders to try next.

For anyone interested, here's a quick summary of the route with some tips along the way. Highly recommended!!

1. Start in Bergen
2. Stegastein lookout point in Aurland, single track hairpin road up, continue on beautiful old road over the mountain. Takes just a small hour extra and is so much more fun than the worlds longest road tunnel below.
3. vre rdal onto Tindevegen, old single track road with a ton of hairpins and beautiful high mountain views in Turtagr.
4. Fossbergom in Lom, home of the world's best bakery and the restaurant of (Norway-)famous TV chef Arne Brimi, so stock up here for the next couple days :D They also serve a great pizza.
5. Geiranger. Chock full tourist place but beautiful fjord view. Camped up in the mountains past rnestigen. Well worth going the extra 10 mins instead of staying in cramped Geiranger. Skip the expensive Dalsnibba lookout point, but definitely take the hike up to Storseterfossen and the old mountain pastures up there.
6. Trollstigen, going down a steep road with a ton of hairpins. Too full of people to really be very exciting but a glorious view nonetheless. Stop at the tourist center up top and walk out to the waterfalls.
7. Skipped Atlanterhavsveien as we wanted to get up north, so rode straight up past Trondheim.
8. Kystriksvegen, a road along the Helgeland coast between Steinkjer and Bod. Incredible trip, and I could have spent two weeks along here if I wanted to visit all the places. 7 ferries on this road, if you don't take any trips to more islands along the way. Three things I'd especially recommend for now: Nordgrden Grdsbryggeri microbrewery (you can buy beers to bring along), Torghatten (spectacular mountain with a huge hole in it), and Forvik where they sell great coffee to bring along as well. Too many beautiful views and roads to list.
9. Visited Langsanden beach on Sandhorny and saw Saltstraumen, a very strong tidal current, before the ferry from Bod to Moskenes in Lofoten. Non-eventful but definitely special to see the Lofoten mountains come into view.
10. Rode Lofoten in to Narvik. This area is full of tourist and camper vans but that didn't take much away from the incredible scenery, small fishing villages, sandy beaches and dramatic mountains. Once in a lifetime thing to see I think. Take your time here, you will be depressed leaving this place!
11. Narvik to Stjrdal along the E6. If you're travelling up here, try and avoid the E6, it is long and boring. Two things that might be worth it is Saltfjellet (incredible side wind, I rode at a good angle!) and Arctic Circle Raceway where I think you might be able to drop in and do laps. I didn't, as I realised too late.
12. Stjrdal through Stugudalen to Selbu, great eastern Norway riding road with some nice turns at good speed. Definitely worth it. Lots of reindeer to spot up in the mountains.
13. Dombs, Otta and back through Lom and the bakery ;)
14. Gamle Strynefjellsvei - glorious gravel road. One of the absolute highlights of the trip for me! Couple of pictures from there below.
15. Out to the coast, Loen, ride the single track road past Loenvannet to see the glacier and the site of two monstrous rock slides and tidal waves.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 07:43:13 PM by terje »

Offline steve@lincs

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Re: Trip to the North of Norway, including route tips
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 08:02:52 PM »
HiTerji, thanks for posting this.  My friend and I are going to Norway next June, so its really helpful. We had planned to go all the way to Nordkap but on reflection will have decided to stop short, either Trondheim or Tromso;  youve made me think to press on a bit!   (Not now going to Nordkap as 1 its not in europe....its an island and 2 just so far away!

Did you take in the atlantic bridges?  theyre on our list As is the flamm railway and bicycle down.
Im sure we willwant to ask you more as our plans develop. Great post thanks,  Steve

Offline terje

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 08:11:18 PM »
My pleasure, Steve!

Flm and the railway is definitely worth a stop! We did not do the Atlantic bridges, if you mean the road up north of lesund? We decided to press north instead :) But I would do it if I had the time.

I havent been to Nordkapp, but youre right that its far! If youre considering Troms, put the island of Senja on your list, its supposed to be just as nice as Lofoten but without the tourists.

Happy to help so shoot me a message! If you come past Bergen let me know and we can meet up. :)

Offline steve@lincs

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 11:15:50 PM »
 :493:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch