Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Trying to use TigerTools but...  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Norumph

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Trying to use TigerTools but...
« on: August 06, 2018, 10:00:03 PM »
Tiger Tools looks an excellent bit of software which I was hoping to use with a Windows 7 netbook to balance the throttle bodies as part of a 12,000 mile service. But I'm having connection problems (via USB 2.0).

Is this OBD connector known to be incompatible with TigerTools v2.5 or the Tiger 800 ECU?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113166383023#rpdCntId

After installing the CH340 USB drivers on the CD that came with it I was offered only COM3 in TigerTools (before installing the drivers no COM ports were shown), which I selected. It connects to the OBD Interface but stops at ECU Read Error! message. The ignition is on and the kill switch set to Run, which are the only possible reasons suggested for this error.

Is there anything else I can try, or is it just a case of sending the OBD lead back and randomly trying a different one? I need a USB one because the netbook doesn't have Bluetooth, as far as I know.

Somewhere on this forum, which I can't find any more, were examples of suitable connectors, but I couldn't find any of them for sale on eBay so I took a chance on this one because it seemed to have the correct spec.

Maybe you get what you pay for and I should just get a Dealertool?

Both my other bikes broke down at the weekend and I want the Tiger back on the road!

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Trying to use TigerTools but...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 01:22:49 AM »
Some forum users have had difficulty finding an OBD2/usb connector that works with TigerTool, it really is hit or miss. I've tried 3 different ones and different versions of Windows and drivers  and TigerTool still  fails to load.
Try TuneECU, which will do most of what you want, is bug free and will tolerate many OBD2 usb connectors. Dealertool is good if you don't mind spending a bit, but TuneECU is free.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 03:11:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by Norumph
Tiger Tools looks an excellent bit of software which I was hoping to use with a Windows 7 netbook to balance the throttle bodies as part of a 12,000 mile service. But I'm having connection problems (via USB 2.0).

Is this OBD connector known to be incompatible with TigerTools v2.5 or the Tiger 800 ECU?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113166383023#rpdCntId
Not sure. I've bought many leads (some good, some bad) but I've not bought any from that seller.

After installing the CH340 USB drivers on the CD that came with it I was offered only COM3 in TigerTools (before installing the drivers no COM ports were shown), which I selected. It connects to the OBD Interface but stops at ECU Read Error! message. The ignition is on and the kill switch set to Run, which are the only possible reasons suggested for this error.

Is there anything else I can try, or is it just a case of sending the OBD lead back and randomly trying a different one? I need a USB one because the netbook doesn't have Bluetooth, as far as I know.
It looks like your bike isn't replying to the request for ECU details. It appears to be failing at the first request. The interface is talking to the PC and configuring itself, but it's not getting (or not handling) a response from the bike's ECU. Take a look at the 'Info' tab in TigerTool after it fails to see if there's any information in there.

Somewhere on this forum, which I can't find any more, were examples of suitable connectors, but I couldn't find any of them for sale on eBay so I took a chance on this one because it seemed to have the correct spec.
Unfortunately the quality of the leads available out there are far beyond my control. I did have some spare leads for sale a while back but have sold them all. I suppose I could look into buying a batch from someone I trust then sell them to members on here but it can start to get too expensive that way.

As noted elsewhere, the best unit I've seen of late is the bbfly-BF32301. These are often available on Amazon & Ebay for around 19. I think they're available cheaper than this on AliExpress.

Maybe you get what you pay for and I should just get a Dealertool?
Hmm, only you can decide where you spend your money.  :001:

Both my other bikes broke down at the weekend and I want the Tiger back on the road!
Do you have access to another Tiger, or any recent Triumph that you can try TigerTool on to see if it's an issue with your lead or bike cabling?

It might be worth checking the pins on the OBD connector on your ELM327 lead and on the bike. These have been known to work loose. Also, it may just be an issue with your interface lead not being compatible. There's much on here to read about that if you trawl the TigerTool V2 thread.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline Norumph

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 02:48:04 PM »
Thanks for the comprehensive reply. The only info. in the Tiger Tools Info tab is just a repeat of the ECU Read Error message.

I downloaded TuneECU and tried that, with the same result. Of course, I don't know if my OBD lead is compatible with it.

So I have various options:

I can try another OBD lead with Tiger Tools.
Or a different type of lead with TuneECU.
Or I can go for Dealer Tool, which I believe comes with a correct connector and should work. Not that there's anything wrong with Tiger Tools itself, but it seems I'm not the only one to have difficulties connecting it.

I think Dealer Tool is my preferred option. Having put the bike all back together it seems to run OK but the engine management light is now staying on, so I'll have to spend lots of money and time getting a dealer to diagnose it, or buy a decent kit to have a look myself. I just hope messing about with a dodgy OBD lead and its software hasn't caused any damage to the ECU. Is that a possibility?

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 04:52:37 PM »
No it's not likely.  You buy any old cable rather than recommended options and then start blaming Tigertool for your problems.  Not cool.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Online Silverstripes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrt
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 06:19:41 PM »
I have a dealer tool OBD lead which I used on my Trophy. Just downloaded Tiger Tools and it worked perfectly. I will at some stage buy a new ECU key from dealer tool as it does so much more. a great diagnostic is you can check all your switches, cooling fans, lights which can be very helpfull.
It wasn't me !!

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 06:23:35 PM »
Hi norumph.
I live in Barnsley and bought a proven lead from T800XC.
If you want to pop through sometime with your netbook to check, you are welcome to.
Just let me know.
Tom

Offline Norumph

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 09:48:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
No it's not likely.  You buy any old cable rather than recommended options and then start blaming Tigertool for your problems.  Not cool.

I don't know how you came to that conclusion KildareMan. If you read my posts more carefully you'd see that I said "Tiger Tools looks an excellent bit of software" and "Not that there's anything wrong with Tiger Tools itself". How is that blaming Tigertool?
Surely it's clear that I was questioning the compatability or quality of the OBD cable and the software supplied with it when I say "a dodgy OBD lead and its software".
And when I couldn't find any of the recommended options on eBay I didn't just buy "any old cable". I matched the specification to what was recommended.
I suppose you think chuckxc and the other forum members he mentions who had similar experiences are "not cool" as well? Whatever that means.

Anyway, enough of this nonsense.

Thanks for the offer PapaTom, that's a much more constructive response.  I might take you up on it if only to find out what this warning light's about.

Offline Norumph

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 12:16:48 PM »
If you're still watching this thread, PapaTom, you have a PM.

Offline Turbotom

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 12:52:23 PM »
I bought this one recently. Works fine with TigerTool 2.5.

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/142544839434?ul_noapp=true

Tom
Tiger 800 XRx 2015 caspian blue

Recent Topics