Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lake District accommodation, recommendations?  (Read 449 times)

Offline HH007

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Blue XRx+beak
Lake District accommodation, recommendations?
« on: August 10, 2018, 11:11:56 AM »
Hi All, I am staying a few nights in the Lake District the end of the month and looking for a good pub/Hotel so we don't have to travel for meals.
Can anyone recommend a good biker friendly pub/Hotel?
Cheers,
John

Offline kbar800

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: TIGER 800 Road
Re: Lake District accommodation, recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 11:44:00 AM »
Being a local &  I  also stopped there recent as well  - I can highly recommend the The Prince of Wales at Foxfield

http://princeofwalesfoxfield.co.uk/

Excellent breakfast - lovely old fashioned family run , off road parking   & real ale heaven ( its a brewery as well ) also discount for CAMRA Members  !

Close by to the Village of  Broughton in Furness as well - more pubs  & eats .

Tourist tend to go for the Typical  Windermere , Keswick attraction's when looking to stop in the Lakes.
But the Western fringes of the lakes are so much more biker friendly - with excellent roads - a fairly traffic free  - all the best view also  ( Wast Water ! )

If you need any route recommendations let me know  - as think I have covered every road now in Cumbria in my  39 years on bikes in the County
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:45:38 AM by kbar800 »
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Offline HH007

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 11:52:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by kbar800 [+]
Being a local &  I  also stopped there recent as well  - I can highly recommend the The Prince of Wales at Foxfield

http://princeofwalesfoxfield.co.uk/

Excellent breakfast - lovely old fashioned family run , off road parking   & real ale heaven ( its a brewery as well ) also discount for CAMRA Members  !

Close by to the Village of  Broughton in Furness as well - more pubs  & eats .

Tourist tend to go for the Typical  Windermere , Keswick attraction's when looking to stop in the Lakes.
But the Western fringes of the lakes are so much more biker friendly - with excellent roads - a fairly traffic free  - all the best view also  ( Wast Water ! )

If you need any route recommendations let me know  - as think I have covered every road now in Cumbria in my  39 years on bikes in the County

Thanks, that's very helpful kbar800. Route recommendations would be most welcome as it's our first time to Lake District!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:59:38 AM by HH007 »

Offline Alunr

• Tiger Master
  • Alun
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 12:56:13 PM »
If you're going to the Lake Windermere/Coniston area, I would recommend the King's Arms in Hawkshead. Good pub grub restaurant and several alternatives within staggering distance. They do a mid week special price.
You're never too old to have a happy childhood :-)

Past Bikes: Panther 600, BSA Bantam, Lambretta TV 175, Lambretta GT200, AJS 125, Suzuki Gladius, Honda NT700. Present: Triumph Tiger 800 ABS

Offline Bikertone7

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 01:05:46 PM »
Excellent pubs all over the area try and find one in a small village. Make sure you include Wrynose and Hardknott passes in you trip some folk say they're the best in Europe. Still spectacular even if you don't agree!. Cheers
Other Bikes: 1968 Triumph TR6 650cc (american export model), 1991 Transalp XL600V (everyday runabout), 1979 Kawasaki KL250 Trail Bike project.

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 01:08:47 PM »
We love Keswick and have been there quite a few times, there's plenty of B&B's at a range of prices, however parking can be an issue, not so bad on a bike, but most B&B's have just a few spaces on side streets, same goes in Ambleside as kbar says.

Best bet is to decide where you want to visit, Tourist Info Centre online is good for this and can also help out with accommodation recommendations, other that that it's Google and be prepared to start with a long, short-list, there are very few that aren't biker/ rambler/ cyclist friendly.

I'll leave kbar to recommend on routes, don't be too ambitious though, you won't get round them all  :028:

I note you're from Norfolk, my brother lives in Attleborough, I don't mean to be patronising and it depends on your experience, but the roads are the polar opposite, lots of narrow lanes and passes, big hills and variable road and weather conditions, so take it easy if that's not what you're used to  :028:

Offline HH007

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 01:50:27 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations everyone and to Dilbert for the advice on the roads.

Offline Nick_2112

• Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 01:59:08 PM »
Foxfield is a good shout, but also worth considering, Torver, Broughton in Furness, Ulverston, Haverthwaite, Greenodd, small places like these will be just outside the premium tourist prices.

If you give details of your ride
times there are a few Tiger owners from up here on the forum, could advise / join you.

Offline HH007

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 02:37:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Nick_2112 [+]
Foxfield is a good shout, but also worth considering, Torver, Broughton in Furness, Ulverston, Haverthwaite, Greenodd, small places like these will be just outside the premium tourist prices.

If you give details of your ride times there are a few Tiger owners from up here on the forum, could advise / join you.

Thanks. We are (me on my Tiger, friend on his R9T) arriving early evening Friday 31/8, spending Saturday 1/9 doing a route and heading home Sunday. Accommodation and Saturday route TBA at the moment.

Offline kbar800

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: TIGER 800 Road
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 12:30:31 PM »

Recommended route :-

Start Main Square  Broughton in Furness ( you can get Petrol in the village )
Take the A595 to Duddon Bridge, Cross & then turn immediate right - over the Corney  Fell Road.
Rejoin the A595 & Call in at Ravenglass for look around the Ratty Railway & new museum.
Carry on again up the A595 to Holmrook - turn right to Eskdale green .
Follow the signs to Boot &  Eskdale
Over Hardknot  pass - stop at the Roman Fort for a look round & stunning views.
Through Cockley beck - and over Wrynose pass  & follow signs to Skelwith Bridge  A593.
Turn in the direction of Coniston ( Call in at the church to see Donald Campbell's  resting place )   , then Torver - & back to Broughton all on the A593.
Pop into the Manor arms for drink , and contemplate the ride -  write it on  postcard   - and send it home to yourself  :002:
All excellent and interesting roads - take it slow and enjoy the views , plenty of stops for photos . You don't need to be mileage bagger to enjoy this most special part of the lakes.

The Tiger is also made for these roads - even if the weather does not play ball , it can only add to the riding experience & drama !
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Recent Topics

winded-staunch