Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fram Oil Filters  (Read 591 times)

Offline OHRider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2016 XRx
Fram Oil Filters
« on: August 14, 2018, 07:55:24 AM »
Anyone use Fram PH6017A oil filters?
Thanks

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Re: Fram Oil Filters
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 08:49:55 AM »
I was always advised to use Genuine Triumph filters, which I have done, I'm not sure there's any benefit from using other brands  :261:

Cost savings would probably be negligible and knowing you have the correct filter designed for the bike is IMHO the correct choice  :028:

I've always used genuine filters on all my bikes & cars without failure, which for me is piece of mind  :017:

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Blue XRx
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 09:44:56 AM »
 :0461:

Online Turbo100

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 17 Tiger 800 XRt
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 10:08:41 AM »
Triumph don't make filters, they buy them in, put 100% markup on them and them sell them to mugs like us.
WAX did and still do I think, make them for Triumph and WAX are readily available from most auto parts suppliers and far cheaper  :028:
I'm Not As Old As I Once Was !!

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Blue XRx
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 10:16:33 AM »
As for explaining myself further.
I don't know who makes the consumables for Triumph.
If I was sure a particular company made items for Triumph to the same specification and tolerance, then I would have no problem purchasing said items.
Just one word of caution though.
I do know, that manufacturers who make items for several companies do not make them all equal.
My bike cost me a lot of hard earned cash. I personally would not/do not quibble over the extra couple of pounds.

As stated just my opinion. No offence intended.

:031:

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 11:31:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Turbo100 [+]
Triumph don't make filters, they buy them in
WAX did and still do I think, make them for Triumph
Did you mean WIX?
Generic '6017' converts to WIX No. 51358:

"Since 1939, WIX Filters has been an innovator in filtration products. WIX designs, manufactures and distributes products for automotive, diesel, agricultural, industrial and specialty filter markets. Its product line includes oil, air, cabin interior, fuel, coolant, transmission and hydraulic filters."
Certainly better than the original 1937 5T SpeedTwin's wire gauze screen filter at the bottom of the oil tank w/recco'd cleaning intervals of 5K miles.
BTW, I'm not overly fussy about filter brands and it's worked okay so-far. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:35:41 PM by AvgBear »
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience gets the money and the man with money gets the experience."
Jimmy Nighttime

Online chico

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 02:43:25 AM »
There is a lot of hype about oil filters out there, same goes for oil. What's important is to change them often.

Chico

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 06:12:58 AM »
I've use all sorts of filters in the past and I'm comfortable using any quality brand product.

One issue to be aware of; is counterfeits.
The counterfeiters will usually target the most well known brands as it's easier to hide in the crowd, I suspect Triumph parts are less risk than the likes of Fram - who knows?

We've recently had a batch of fake Gates belts at work, these came through our usual supply chain and not from anywhere new or cheaper
The airline industry is plagued by fake parts apparently, now that is scary  :114:

I bought this online last week, a bit obvious... but all the same, you need to be vigilant

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline GearHd6

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 98 T595
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 01:24:31 PM »
FRAM are junk, cut one apart and you'll see why. Use Triumph, WIX or NAPA which is just a relabeled WIX.
2015 Tiger XCx
1998 Daytona T595

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Waiting
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 01:12:20 PM »
I always have and always will use OEM oil filters in my vehicles.  I am aware of pattern filters failing and even read a thread on this forum recently of a K&N oil filter giving issues.

I am sure that if a genuine triumph filter failed and was proven to have caused engine failure, Triumph would rectify the damage.  Not sure that would be the case with a K&N or other manufacturer.
Ride to work. Work to ride

Recent Topics

winded-staunch