Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Can't get neutral if at a standstill after ride  (Read 1399 times)

Offline CrazyL

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800xc
Can't get neutral if at a standstill after ride
« on: August 18, 2018, 04:23:19 PM »
Hi all

Bit of a weird one this.  My wife and I have just spent 2 nights away at the Old Cider House b&b in Nether Stowey, and very nice it was too, I digress however, once we pulled up outside, I could not get the bike out of 1st and into neutral, it was stiff to move and kept going in to 2nd, and vice versa.

I was in 1st as I was simply bimbling along looking for our digs, then once stopped, I tried to get neutral and the gear lever was hard as **** to move. 

I could only select neutral if I was actually moving.  The start of the 2nd day and it was fine for a little while but once warmed up again the problem returned.

I've had the bike for 2 years and it has never given me this issue.  In fact, the only other time I have suffered this complaint was on my Y reg Daytona 955i, and I got shot of that 9 years ago.  The rest of my 25 year tenure in the saddle has been populated with Japanese machinery and as such, never suffered as such.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated thank you.

It may be of interest that I recently did an oil change, with an oil and filter combo bought from M and Ps ebay shop, using Silkolene super 4.  The same oil I have been using problem free since I have been riding 4 strokes, ie, 20 years.

Again,  it maybe coincidence but any ideas are welcomed, thank you.
Crazy L, The Original since 1976

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Can't get neutral if at a standstill after ride
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 04:31:57 PM »
Check the chain tension, it could be too slack - I've experienced similar symptoms in the past

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 04:33:01 PM »
Also check the clutch cable adjustment.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Offline CrazyL

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 06:25:14 PM »
Cheers guys

I set my chain up before the trip, and it's still pretty good, so I'd like to discount that one.  The clutch cable is also nicely adjusted, the same as it has been since I bought the bike, with a nice little bit of free play as is the norm.

I guess you are stumped as I am.  I loathe to dump the oil out as it is fresh.  However, If I find everyone is using 5/20 for example as opposed to the 10/40 I was supplied with, I may have to bite the bullet.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 07:02:45 PM »
What slack do you have in the chain? Measured how? I ask 'cos people do it different & it can make a difference to gear change.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Cats

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 07:14:05 PM »
Are all the gear linkage ball and rose joints well lubed, adjusted properly and moving freely and also the groove on the pivot that the lever attaches to clean and well lubed?
Tiger 800. There's no effing need for it.
Gnats cock

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 07:50:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Cats [+]
Are all the gear linkage ball and rose joints well lubed, adjusted properly and moving freely and also the groove on the pivot that the lever attaches to clean and well lubed?

Ha, there's been a large quantity of gear linkages with no lube at all in those ball joints from new & the riveted connections to the arms are loose so swivelling where they shouldn't be. Had mine changed under warranty, the dealers are all aware of this issue.

Offline CrazyL

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 09:30:21 PM »
I have about an inch of slack in my chain, measured in the middle of the rung, I measure it using my eyes, I'm a precision engineer.

The ball joints did have some slack in them when I bought the bike 2 years ago but I saw to that with split shims I made up, not been an issue since.

If I take it apart and it requires a grease, I grease it.  Not been doing this for 24 years and not learnt anything.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:33:18 PM by CrazyL »

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 09:47:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by CrazyL [+]
I have about an inch of slack in my chain, measured in the middle of the rung, I measure it using my eyes, I'm a precision engineer.

The ball joints did have some slack in them when I bought the bike 2 years ago but I saw to that with split shims I made up, not been an issue since.

If I take it apart and it requires a grease, I grease it.  Not been doing this for 24 years and not learnt anything.

Not much any of us can help you with then.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC,XCX, CB1300,
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 10:58:21 PM »
My mate bought a Triumph second hand and it had the same symptoms. Turned out the previous owner dropped it causing the gearshift shaft to bend slightly inside the case. Replaced the shaft and all ok.
An outside chance, was the bike dropped or the shaft knocked in any way?
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch