Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MSR Hubba Tour tent  (Read 879 times)

Offline tyrannosauROSS

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
MSR Hubba Tour tent
« on: August 19, 2018, 12:43:23 AM »
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this... sorry admin.

has anyone had any experience with the MSA Hubba Tour range of tents? Im looking at either the 1 or 2 man version to tour with on the bike. Loos ideal with its exoskeleton poles so quick fast set up and with its large vestibule for all the gear!

The internet says the tent leeks... if you believe the reviews. (in my experience the complainers shout the loudest)

Was wondering if anyone had had any really world experience using the tents?

Thans
R
Tiger 800 XC White, Wunderlich Deflector, Rear Hugger, Heated Grips, Engine Bars, Touring Screen, LED Fog Lights, Givi XS308 Tanklock, Garmin Nuvi 660LM, Front Mudguard Extension, Tank Protector, Full Givi Trekker Outback Luggage, #muchpoorernow

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: MSR Hubba Tour tent
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 07:59:58 AM »
Looked at them, more a backpacker/cyclist tent imo. Expensive, flimsy & low. Taking a pee on rainy night in your milk bottle, need kneel up, 1100mm internal is good, 900mm is not unless you're very short. I also looked at Hilleberg tunnel, top spec tent but too low. We have to pay a lot of money to save a little bit of weight.

Take a look at the Vango omega 250.

I have a range of tents depending where I'm going.

Touring Scotland, a tough tent, a Eureka bighorn to take the wind & rain.
Italy/South France sunny climes lightweight touring, a Vango tempest 300.
Longer summer stays using a base, a stand up tent Vango Galaxy 300.

They each fit in my 37L Trax pannier.

Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline tyrannosauROSS

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 08:36:43 AM »
sure... the height is indeed something that would become an issue. Im 6'5".

Im currently running a Vango Sierra which I think is a great size... but... id like the look of the exo-skeleton tents as they are so quick to pitch.

Threading the poles through is such a ball ache when you're on you're own.

I just found another review on MSR's website that is pretty detailed describing the Hubba Tours problems. So thats now ruled out.

R

Tiger 800 XC White, Wunderlich Deflector, Rear Hugger, Heated Grips, Engine Bars, Touring Screen, LED Fog Lights, Givi XS308 Tanklock, Garmin Nuvi 660LM, Front Mudguard Extension, Tank Protector, Full Givi Trekker Outback Luggage, #muchpoorernow

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 08:55:38 AM »
Aye, much easier if the tent clips onto the poles as my big Robens tent does.

Offline tyrannosauROSS

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 09:07:56 AM »
Hmmmm.  the Robens stuff looks interesting.... particularly the Kestrel tent

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 09:13:32 AM by tyrannosauROSS »

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 09:45:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by tyrannosauROSS [+]
Hmmmm.  the Robens stuff looks interesting.... particularly the Kestrel tent

In my experience Robens is very good quality. We bought a Cabin 500 (Now 600) for the car hols, had 8 x 3 week holidays in Italy with it, that hot sun hasn't ruined it.....yet

Offline Colinhitch

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800xr
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 05:21:01 PM »
I use the kyham biker tent, easy to pitch and loads of room for all my kit.

Offline tyrannosauROSS

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 12:25:52 AM »
how have you found the kyham biker tent durability?

It looks interesting.

Those poles look awfully complicated and expensive to repair. Also. the tent looks a little large when packed up but its hard to tell on the youtube video I just watched.

R

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 02:55:14 AM »
Rule of thumb.
For motorcycling where weight and size are not as critical as when backpacking always buy a tent for the expected number of users plus one. If you are touring alone a 2 person tent, with a pillion a 3 person tent.
Motorcycle gear takes up more space and getting dressed in motorcycle gear inside a tent in the rain is way more difficult and needs more space than the equivalent backpacking exercise.
If I am wild camping (i.e. not in a campsite with other people nearby) I generally use a 3 x 3 tarp. There are a couple of easy tarp pitches that can be adapted for almost any situation from a simple shelter to a fully enclosed pyramid shape and will provide usually more cover and internal space than a tent. My tarp including guy ropes and pegs takes up way less space than a tent. I usually carry a couple of trekking poles to use as tarp poles as often in this part of the world suitable branches or trees to use are not available. The poles collapse to about 50cm long so they fit inside a duffel on the rear seat. I would not use a tarp in a commercial campsite.

Offline Colinhitch

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800xr
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 06:54:58 AM »
I have had it about 12 years now, no problems. The pole joints are very robust. Easy to pitch in Scottish rain!  Sits on the seat in a dry bag.  Large porch great for stowing wet gear and cooking when its raining.

Recent Topics