Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine cutting out  (Read 616 times)

Offline me1957

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRX
Engine cutting out
« on: August 19, 2018, 11:58:38 PM »
Hi guys,

I have a problem with me less than 5 months old 2018 Tiger and want to know if anyone else has the same issue.

Done 2,600 miles and 3 times now the engine has suddenly stopped when doing around 30mph. I have to pull in clutch quickly and come to a halt but the engine restarts on pressing the starter.

Been into dealer once with the same issue and nothing diagnostic comes up and they have checked the wiring but haven't found anything.

I love the bike but am getting worried this will get worse as the bike gets older or could happen at speed. Any advice would be appreciated.

PJ :232:

Offline markymark11

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
Re: Engine cutting out
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 07:37:18 AM »
I am not a tiger expert but I would go through all the obvious things that could make an engine cut out first - such as sidestand switch, rocker / starter switch (had an Aprilia once where a bit of metal broke off and got stuck between the terminals) ignition barrel / key position, clutch lever switch (if you've installed handlebar risers). After that I would look at battery terminals, fuses and connectors...good luck

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Waiting
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 12:19:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by markymark11 [+]
I am not a tiger expert but I would go through all the obvious things that could make an engine cut out first - such as sidestand switch, rocker / starter switch (had an Aprilia once where a bit of metal broke off and got stuck between the terminals) ignition barrel / key position, clutch lever switch (if you've installed handlebar risers). After that I would look at battery terminals, fuses and connectors...good luck

I have a 2018 XCA with considerably less miles on the clock.  I have had 2 stalls when I was block down changing, rather than going down gear on at a time as I usually do.  I was approaching an intersection at speed, braking hardish, pulled in clutch and changing down a couple gears at a time when the engine just cut out, I coasted and pressed starter which instantly fired up no issues.  Like I said happened twice only, I have not investigated any further as It was fine last time out but will be monitoring.

Keep us posted on this one!

Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC,CB1300,Lverda
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 10:39:33 PM »
An engine that "suddenly stopped when doing around 30mph"  is a danger to you and anyone else nearby. I would insist that the dealership either identifies and remedies the problem or replaces the bike. Think about that truck coming toward you as you pass a car. You don't want any surprises, do you.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:41:14 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline markymark11

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 10:51:53 PM »
 :0461: :460:

Offline pme

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: xrx lo 2018
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 01:35:39 PM »
Just had the same issue, 2018 xrx 804 miles, dealer says he has not heard of any issues, but they would say that would'nt they!
No Fault codes, sidestand switch need s a lot of movment to trigger so not that.

Good to know I am not alone!

I'll post anything that comes up
rgds
chris

Offline markymark11

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 05:31:17 PM »
ME1957, PME & Bladerunner - could you please keep us updated about this. I have a 2018 XRT going in for the 500 mile service tomorrow. I have not had the issue you describe but want to keep an eye on this post for any future issues, especially if your dealers find anything.

Offline pme

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: xrx lo 2018
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 08:32:50 AM »
Hi All

an obvious dodge will be "but you have added an accessory", have any of you put on sat nav, intercom, camera, tracker etc?

Offline Silverstripes

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrt
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 08:43:39 AM »
When it cut out was the engine hot and was it light throttle.

Last sunday after idling for a fair bit I pulled away with light throttle and she cut out. My Trophy also has one this a few times.

My theory FWIW is that with the light throttle and hot throttle bodies the fuel may be evaporating. Bit more twist grip and there fine. They do run fairly weak .

Just my 2 d's worth  :084:
It wasn't me !!

Offline me1957

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRX
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 05:19:55 PM »
 Update on stalling Tiger. Booked in for diagnostic a week today so will keep posted.

Not impressed with Triumph though not being prepared to pay insurance on loan bike whilst it is being looked at considering its a new bike. Thats what I call crap customer service.

This is my first Triumph after a long list of Japanese bikes so not a great start for our British brand.

:451:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch