Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sealing the front wheel for Tubeless  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Rorut

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
Sealing the front wheel for Tubeless
« on: August 22, 2018, 06:18:04 AM »
I know the rim is not constructed for this, no hump..
Im not riding with low airpressure and 90% road. Just want to know from you that are riding with a sealed front, how you feel about it and experiences?
Thanks
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:14:14 AM by Rorut »

Online Bikerjimbob

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800xca
Re: Sealing the front wheel for Tubeless
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 10:01:55 AM »
Looking forward to your replies on this one as I feel the same , never going low pressure or serious off roading so should be ok Right :152:
 :031: Jim

Offline Grumps

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 10:09:37 AM »
I have tubed tyres on my Xca so I am also interested in the replies.

There are sealants that go inside either tubed or tubeless tyres that claim to stop a puncture but I have no idea how effective they are or what complications they cause.

2018 Xca. BMW K1600GTL. Suzuki GT380

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline Rorut

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 10:29:08 AM »
I know a guy that sealed the front and rear with M3 4412N tape and has riding with that setup for several years without any problems. He travel the world on asphalt and gravel roads. Just want to know some more reports on this. Interested in real experience more than what people believe that has not tried it themselves...

(Complications on front wheel are a missing hump that should prevent the tire from move inwards if loosing air pressure, or hitting a rock that maybe bends the rim and releases the air.
If loosing air pressure with a tube there should be the same problem. No hump that saves you. Im only riding with recommended airpressure and does not have the need for releasing air for serious offroad. The day I want the I still can put in tubes if I want.)

Here is a guy that did it on several biles but sealed each nipple. Im going for the tape if I do it...
https://cyb.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/KTM/Tubeless/

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:51:22 AM by Rorut »

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 03:41:21 PM »
Duct tape will do it just fine, handy if you can get it in a width suitable for the well.
Just make sure it gets a thorough cleaning with solvent first
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline nick2018

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 xca
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 02:50:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rorut [+]
I know a guy that sealed the front and rear with M3 4412N tape and has riding with that setup for several years without any problems. He travel the world on asphalt and gravel roads. Just want to know some more reports on this. Interested in real experience more than what people believe that has not tried it themselves...

(Complications on front wheel are a missing hump that should prevent the tire from move inwards if loosing air pressure, or hitting a rock that maybe bends the rim and releases the air.
If loosing air pressure with a tube there should be the same problem. No hump that saves you. Im only riding with recommended airpressure and does not have the need for releasing air for serious offroad. The day I want the I still can put in tubes if I want.)

Here is a guy that did it on several biles but sealed each nipple. Im going for the tape if I do it...
https://cyb.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/KTM/Tubeless/

Hi Rorut,

I missed your post when looking at the conti thread about the same thing and you have answered most of my thoughts.I have 2018 Xca I was aiming to silicone seal the spoke ends then 3M tape over and fit the scorpion trail 2 s without tubes. Most all of the more road orientated tyres are coded as TL anyway including the scorpions which are recommended by Pirelli for the 2018 xca and I notice that Triumph are fitting Tourance Next to the latest tigers.
 So that takes care of any worry about the chafing of inner carcass on the tubes and the way they fit on the rims as they are recommended by the tyre companies for the xca. Like you say, you are then left with the hump on the cast wheels and whether that centres the tyre on the rim in the event of a blowout. Personally, I have finished enduro races for many miles on a total flat and its never left the rim.
I'm with you on the off road question, if your doing weeks of serious off road then you would change the tyres and bung some tubes in.

So whos going to be first on their new xc tiger to do it ?

Then report back after a couple of weeks of high speed twisties.

Offline nick2018

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 05:36:07 PM »
This link makes me even more confident to go ahead and do it.

http://tiger800.adrianmolloy.com/800_Converting_To_Tubeless.html

Offline odum666

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrt
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 10:47:56 PM »
Converted my xrt to spoked rims. Using a bonnie scrambler 19in front so it has the sealing lip. Used 4412n tape and its been perfect for the last 3 months
when you sit on a sports bike you feel special...when you sit on an adventure bike you feel something special is going to happen!!

Offline Rorut

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 10:59:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by nick2018 [+]

Hi Rorut,

I missed your post when looking at the conti thread about the same thing and you have answered most of my thoughts.I have 2018 Xca I was aiming to silicone seal the spoke ends then 3M tape over and fit the scorpion trail 2 s without tubes. Most all of the more road orientated tyres are coded as TL anyway including the scorpions which are recommended by Pirelli for the 2018 xca and I notice that Triumph are fitting Tourance Next to the latest tigers.
 So that takes care of any worry about the chafing of inner carcass on the tubes and the way they fit on the rims as they are recommended by the tyre companies for the xca. Like you say, you are then left with the hump on the cast wheels and whether that centres the tyre on the rim in the event of a blowout. Personally, I have finished enduro races for many miles on a total flat and its never left the rim.
I'm with you on the off road question, if your doing weeks of serious off road then you would change the tyres and bung some tubes in.

So whos going to be first on their new xc tiger to do it ?

Then report back after a couple of weeks of high speed twisties.
I first had the same thought about doing that combo with silicone and then M3 but changed my mind. If you put a small bit of another tape first on every spoke end and then only use the M3 tape it should be possible to adjust the spoke tensions after the conversion. I have not decided yet what tires I will use but thinking about heidenau k60 scout.
Im going to do the conversion on both wheels. Maybe still bring a 21 tube on longer trips in the luggage just in case

Offline nick2018

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 11:57:40 PM »
Yeah, def do both wheels. It seems the front is not the problem some are saying when you read the links.
Good idea of small square of tape over each spoke end. I was thinking of wall panel silicone I use which has a high adhesive content but flexible si I think you could still adjust spokes when bedded in this.
I used to have to adjust spokes all the time on older ktms but nowadays I rarely get a dull tone off the spokes on dirtbikes so the road ones should be pretty stable.

Does the valve hole size remain the same for the fitting of tubeless valve?

Recent Topics

winded-staunch