Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger MiniMeet North Wales 2018  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
Re: Tiger MiniMeet North Wales 2018
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 12:08:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by GeoffS [+]
Like everyone else, I travelled home in glorious weather, through the Highest Village in Britain (so it said on the sign) and I did drive carefully (like it also said on the sign).

So, you ended up taking the A53 Leek to Buxton then ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash,_Staffordshire

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 12:59:20 PM »
Note to the Snowdonia Railways Car Park six, Parking Eye have now accepted the payments made and they have been charged to my account, so that's a done deal as far as I'm concerned, let me know if you receive any letters and I'll forward your receipt  :028:

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC & Explorer
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 01:05:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Note to the Snowdonia Railways Car Park six, Parking Eye have now accepted the payments made and they have been charged to my account, so that's a done deal as far as I'm concerned, let me know if you receive any letters and I'll forward your receipt  :028:
As one of the SRCP6, thanks for that.

I checked the GPS log when I got back and it was worth making the payment.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline GeoffS

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC - Green/Black
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 05:35:08 PM »
Yep, was originally on the A54 (I think), but it was closed and was diverted onto the A53; I think that was the first time I've ridden a single-track "A" road...., interesting, but good fun.
As another founder-member of the SRCP6, thanks for sorting me/us out.
Cheers
Geoff

PS. Didn't see any "illegal activities" taking place when I drove through Flash. - (see extract from Wikipedia below...., mmmmmmm.)

Flash is an isolated community with a small population; it previously had a school attended by as few as four pupils (the school is now closed). Flash previously had a reputation for being a centre for illegal activities such as cock fighting............
And god said, "Come forth."...., but I came fifth and won a teapot.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XRt
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 12:00:42 AM »
Well another great social and riding weekend :152: come and gone. :161:
As has been said Saturday did its worst to put us all off, but the route Matt had mapped just kept calling my name and as long as I was able to drag another set of dry gloves onto my wet hands I was determined to carry on, even when dragging on the final third set, all clothing soaked through and with water running down my chest the last leg of the day was still on.
My wet weather riding confidence took a bad knock some years ago, caused by going down on black ice but I reckon after that Saturday ride, on narrow single tracks with its helpings of gravel and surprise slippery patches I really ought to put that demon to bed. :084:

The evening was its usual round of laughs, banter (and GeoffS being his natural fun self) and beer. :031:
I seem to be developing a memory of different Tiger meets based on key phrases:
Squirrel juice
Brace, Brace, Brace
Mildly moist
... best leave out the 'chicken' ...  :492:

*Originally Posted by healdem [+]
On the way home I was kicking myself for not suggesting to roster and Stevie to do the first half of the route, say in reverse then go to Anglesey.

Rozzer and I had always planned to make the most of the weekend and return Monday. So Sunday looked ok at breakfast then rained, postponing our start an hour. Our route was the the 2nd part of the Matts' morning ride reversed to take us to the bridge to Anglesey. The weather again decided to tease us with bouts of downpour at the base of the hills and then dry as we rode upwards. Eventually we crossed into Anglesey, weather improving greatly, skipped Holyhead (the Anglesey enema tube entry point according to Matt  :005: ) and headed straight to Sandy Bay and our planned lunch break (rated no.1 on tripadvisor) the Wavecrest cafe, much to the approval of Rozzer (real fresh homemade stuff). We then headed back via the Menai Bridge and a reasonable 4'ish finish.
That evening we had more good home cooked food in a pleasantly quiet restaurant/bar a few hundreds yards away from the Royal.

http://www.wavecrestcafe.co.uk/wavecrestcafe/Welcome.html

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186443-d2330391-Reviews-Wavecrest_Cafe-Holyhead_Anglesey_North_Wales_Wales.html

.... we actually straight lined the route from the Menai Bridge back to Betws-Y-Coed ...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 12:47:47 AM by Stevie.P »
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 12:05:45 AM »

... and my thanks also, as one of the SRCP6. As a mobile phone dinosaur, PAYG and no internet package, I would possibly have been a few 's lighter without your gentlemanly action on our behalf. :123:

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 12:44:36 AM »
Note to Healdem and StevieP, remember to take spare clothes next time  :008:

:001: Can't speak for Matt but I thankfully did have spare clothes based on weather forecast (just not planned for same day use), Sunday I had a set of fresh and dry jacket and trousers on, though no more gloves (except summer mesh ones) so I had to 80% dry my best gloves with the hairdrier that morning. Another soaked set had split on one finger so went in the bin at our last coffee stop Saturday and the other pair (Alpinestar Drystars) are still pretty wet now despite being on the drier with all my weekend washing and the dehumidifier running most of the day.

The real irony was the trip back Monday, temperature of 21-22c and I ended up removing my leggings (kevlar jeans underneath) and putting my mesh gloves on. Rozzer and I basically headed back on the reverse route that we and T800XC had ridden up and for the initial 1.5hrs barely had to overtake about 4 cars and saw few others which meant we were really able to enjoy huge stretches of the curvy stuff unobstructed. An unintentional hiccup of direction (satnav learner, me :164: ) meant we actually missed the section of route that had actually been a real pain on the Friday journey, but still provided a curvy route to Brecon, Abergavenny and then we picked up the M4 at Newport where we picked up the usual boring, but faster pace as aches and pains were setting in for both of us. :191:

A coffee and snack at jct 27 before parting company and at Exeter I opted to take the A30 to Oakhampton then across Dartmoor via Tavistock back to Plymouth. Had I had the energy I would have gone around the block again for 7 miles as my final weekend figures came to:
993 miles travelled
77.38lts / 17 gallons fuel
Weekend average 58.41mpg
(the last tank, motorway 80mph with loaded panniers and half loaded topbox - 54.2mpg - respectable).

Bike has now had 18k service since return (including chain rubbing strip without having previous hassle over the 'change item' not being done) and only advisory front pads getting low, which I'm sure have a few k's left yet only having fitted them about 4k ago. So 3yr servicing plan now finished it will be reliable self maintenance from here on. :028:

winded-staunch