Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stupid driver knocked tiger over whilst parked. Should I bother claiming.  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Ukhornet

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
Re: Stupid driver knocked tiger over whilst parked. Should I bother claiming.
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 12:22:16 PM »
At the moment I'm still undecided but leaning more towards leaving it and just fixing it myself.
There's no way it needs a new frame or over half the parts that triumph have said. Its a couple of VERY SMALL scratches, new mirror, hand guard and indicator.
Or months without the bike and lots of stress and worry dealing with insurance. (And an increase in premium)
The woman didn't take my details so it's up to me to claim.
Scomadi tl125, Aprillia Pegaso, Kawasaki Versys 650, Vespa 300 GTS, Lexmoto Oregon, Triumph Tiger 800XR

Online Alunr

• Tiger Master
  • Alun
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 01:03:54 PM »
Will your premiums increase when the accident was clearly not your fault? On the other hand, if you let her off she'll learn nothing. No consequence, no change in behaviour.

Having said all that you're the one dealing with the problem so best to do whatever feels right to you.
You're never too old to have a happy childhood :-)

Past Bikes: Panther 600, BSA Bantam, Lambretta TV 175, Lambretta GT200, AJS 125, Suzuki Gladius, Honda NT700. Present: Triumph Tiger 800 ABS

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 01:07:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
The pillion hangers on these T8's often get bent when dropped at a standstill. I've read of several getting scrapped as that's a new frame.

IMO it's got to be an insurance claim. A no blame claim shouldn't affect your NCD.

Bit of a myth that one.  From 7 years here there have only been a couple and they were all "crashed" at greater than jogging speed.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline messy_garage_man

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 01:19:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ukhornet [+]
At the moment I'm still undecided but leaning more towards leaving it and just fixing it myself.
Totally understand. Before you decide, check your estimate to see if there is anything you haven't spotted. Go over your bike again and compare to estimate. Do you have witnesses? Did the coffee shop folk see it?

Company car insurance can be either difficult or easy to deal with - just depends, and depends on the driver responding properly to the claim. You can claim directly. Price parts, add your labour and add a mark-up for the hassle/inconvenience, whatever you think reasonable. As a minimum write a letter and propose your cost for full and final settlement within 60 days say. But you'll need to pursue if they are difficult or don't respond.

With a shiny bike and fully comp/NCB protection, I would go full Triumph quote claim including replacement bike while repairs in progress through insurance. Might even sneak in a whiplash claim if the driver was an asre (no I wouldn't).

You're right of course, no upside here. Even though your insurance (if fully comp) alleviates repair expense at cost to your NCB/risk profile, you may temporarily lose NCB at next renewal, you have to declare 'non faults' for 3/5 years, and if the claim is contentious (driver denies/no witnesses) you're stiffed. But shouldn't drivers be encouraged to learn from their carelessness?

-mgm.

Offline Nick_2112

• Tiger Master
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 06:48:26 PM »
A company car driver crashed into the back of my sons car last year, the driver was VERY keen to settle with my son as he was worried about repercussions from his firm.

We got an estimate for a new bumper, light clusters and number plate + fitting, as we couldn't do the repair, and he paid straight away, no problem.

As you've said, it probably will affect your insurance premium (by rights it shouldn't)

I would go through the estimate, and replace everything bar the frame (from your picture)

You may be surprised she will settle to you rather than her companies insurance paying the large ammount quoted.

Either way, if it was mine, I would want it as near perfect as possible. Good Luck.  :017:

Offline markymark11

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 07:25:42 PM »
 :0461: If it were me I would want it as near as perfect for re-sale reasons later on and would hope that you could present her company with an estimate and do it yourself.

If you claim against her insurance - apart from all the general hassle - won't your bike be registered as having a claim against it that will need to be declared when selling - ie: a Cat C or D or whatever ? or is that only if you claim on your own insurance - I have never claimed and don't know, I'm sure someone else will know ?

If it does mean that, then I would definitely try and sort it without going the insurance route as I am sure like me as soon as I see a "Cat D or whatever" I move on to the next one for sale. You may know there was little real damage, but a stranger/buyer will be suspicious - human nature.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:28:20 PM by markymark11 »

Offline Ukhornet

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 09:11:23 PM »
Had the triumph estimate in, 4498......absolutely ludicrous.
Effectively, the price you'd have to pay after dropping your bike.
Scomadi tl125, Aprillia Pegaso, Kawasaki Versys 650, Vespa 300 GTS, Lexmoto Oregon, Triumph Tiger 800XR

Offline Nick_2112

• Tiger Master
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018, 06:23:37 PM »
Show her this estimate and say you will settle outside the insurance system, for an amount that is acceptable to yourself, that gets your bike back to 'as good as it was before'.

I would make sure I got an amount of money that covered brand new parts, not polishing out scratches etc.

As noted before, if the only damage to the frame is the scratch pictured, I would touch that part up.

This is just my opinion, good luck.

Offline farmer tim

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XCX Blue
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 09:34:17 AM »
I would claim. Definitely. Its what insurance is there for. Plus youve got a nearly new bike there and Im sure if you took it in for part ex the dealers would be suspect of any patched up paint jobs and particularly IF its on some type of finance you could get yourself in all sorts of bother.
So far the day is good. Just waiting for that someone to come along!

Offline Matchbox

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 18 Tiger XRT
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2018, 12:16:59 PM »
Think yourself lucky!

Many years ago I was parked at a garden centre, in an open space though not in a parking bay. Some twirp backed into the bike knocking it over. He then claimed it was my fault because it was not in a bay! He demanded police were called but of course it was private property and not their concern.

Fortunately only superficial damage but I am still indignant after 30 odd years!

If the lady will meet your costs, fix it yourself. Avoid the insurance route if poss..

Recent Topics