Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stupid driver knocked tiger over whilst parked. Should I bother claiming.  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Stupid driver knocked tiger over whilst parked. Should I bother claiming.
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2018, 01:01:46 PM »
I've had 2 no fault claims, didn't affect my insurance at all.

The woman was in a company car, no way is she going to pay up anything.

Get the claim in, you have nothing to lose.

The bike only becomes a Class C or D if the Insurance company write it off. In which case they would have to pay you out the market value.

The frames on these bikes are easily bent if they land on a pillion peg.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline chico

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 05:57:52 AM »
Why don't you stop speculating and ask your insurer if this event will affect your insurance rate? Speaking to the insurance company won't precipitate anything until you file a claim.

Chico

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 01:12:18 PM »
Curve ball
Claim against her, at 4,500 the insurance will almost certainly write it off as an uneconomical repair, their inspectors will look it over and the repair cost could go even higher, once you get the quote in and accept, then offer to buy it back, it will only be a Cat D in all likelihood and while this will affect the price when you come to sell you'll already be quid's in, if the insurers decide the frame is damaged then you probably won't get the option to buy it back (Cat A, or B), but take it from me it's better than riding a bike with an even slightly bent frame.

The insurance company will try to increase your premium, this is done on a percentage basis, so if you have high premiums already and don't have protected NCD then it could be more in real terms than someone with lower premiums, for example even though I killed my last bike and extensively damaged a car and a truck's door I retained my protected 7 years NCD and by shopping around got a premium similar to previously, by law they are limited in what they can charge, but there's no limit on "risk based" premiums.

It also depends who you are insured with (the underwriters, not the agents) I was with Aviva and I'm back with them now through a different agent (Bennett's), like AXA and other big name insurance companies they are much easier to deal with and you're much more likely to get a sensible settlement  :028:

Offline farmer tim

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XCX Blue
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2018, 08:18:26 PM »
Good post Dilbert. Well written. :028:
So far the day is good. Just waiting for that someone to come along!

Offline Ukhornet

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 11:46:36 AM »
Thanks you everybody for your advice.
Ive spoke to my insurance company to inform them what happened but am claiming against the prison vehicle that hit me. Ill keep you posted as to what happens.
Scomadi tl125, Aprillia Pegaso, Kawasaki Versys 650, Vespa 300 GTS, Lexmoto Oregon, Triumph Tiger 800XR

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 12:17:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ukhornet [+]
Thanks you everybody for your advice.
Ive spoke to my insurance company to inform them what happened but am claiming against the prison vehicle that hit me. Ill keep you posted as to what happens.

It just gets better  :156:

Offline ADNauseum

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800xcx
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2018, 12:53:29 PM »
Just a quick point, categories c and d now called s and n. S means it's got structural damage, N is beyond economical repair. A hasn't changed, to be crushed. B, may have some salvageable parts.
See bike, smile, ride, repeat.

Offline Ukhornet

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 11:50:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
It just gets better  :156:

Not for me it doesn't...... :172:
Scomadi tl125, Aprillia Pegaso, Kawasaki Versys 650, Vespa 300 GTS, Lexmoto Oregon, Triumph Tiger 800XR

Offline Baetech

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: tiger 800XRt
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 04:36:27 PM »
I just had the same problem, i called insurance on them and after 4000$ US Dollars my bike looks like new, no damage to the frame but took few other thing out, never think twice about calling insurance....my two cents!!   Good luck

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White 800 Roadie
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2018, 07:50:15 AM »
I have just been reading all this and simply cannot believe it. Your insurance premium goes up because someone else knocked you bike over and you have not done anything wrong? What a strange world you are living in...
Under German law the offender would have to compensate every damage he caused including a rise in insurance cost. Regarding the insurance this just theoritical as the insurance is not allowed to raise the premium in such a case.

I was about to say this practice of UK insurances is violating consumer rights protected by EU regulation but..... errr.... you get the idea....
Live is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch