Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Borrowed bike and some famous sights.  (Read 434 times)

Offline Syntec4

• Tiger Cub
Borrowed bike and some famous sights.
« on: September 14, 2018, 08:31:37 AM »

I currently have a loan Triumph Tiger 800. My KTM1090 at 5 weeks old and with 3k miles on the clock has blown up. Suspect is a big end or Crank bearing failure. The dealer has had it nearly 2 weeks already and not had chance to look at it properly. Anyway they had just got this tiger 800 XRT as a trade in the day my KTM went in and they said I can use it while waiting for mine to be fixed/written off or whatever. It only has 4k miles on it. I though I should make the most of the situation and put some more miles on it.

I headed first to Liverpool to see the old Airport. They built a new airport/terminal some years ago but left the old building standing with what was the Apron. Its now a Crown plaza hotel and the Apron is the car park. The whole site is now surrounded by modern industrial units. They have some old aircraft on the Apron and no-one seemed to mind me wandering round taking pictures.

After having a look round I had a look at the map and figured I could get quite close to the end of the new runway. It was a muddy track and this bike is on Tourances so I was a bit cautious

The air movement was strange as the aircraft passed over head. Made all kinds of weird noises. It was cool though.

I then headed over to a place in Liverpool which was made famous by its former resident. Whom the airport is now named after. John Lennon. He lived at 251 Menlove Avenue.

He lived here when he met the other Beatles.

Just round the corner from his former home is the Childrens home where he used to play in the grounds. The song Strawberry Field is written about this place.

Also not far away is the home of another son of Liverpool. Sir Ken Dodd. He passed away recently and the home where he lived his whole like has become something of a visitor attraction. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Dodd

Back on the road and this time heading for the hills of Cheshire and Derbyshire. I headed through the villages of Bollington and Prestbury. This is the home of many Footballers and TV stars etc. Its supposed to be in the top three most expensive postcodes in the country.

I must admit I do like this Tiger. Its very easy to ride and very comfortable. The triple engine is lovely and smooth. You get a lot of gadgets as well. CC, heated seats, grips, fog lights, engine bars, centre stand. The paint is nice too.

Gaining some altitude now, this is the view towards Manchester from near the village of 'Pot Shriggley. The weather has improved but its quite cool.

All that scenery and someone has dumped a washing machine and a fridge at the side of the road. ;-(

Heading into Kettleshulme village.

Little Stone bridge over the river Goyt

The view over Pym Chair

Thats Manchester in the far distance.

This is the road that runs past the Goyt Reservoir .

In the Autumn the colour here are amazing. Im a couple of weeks early yet. There is very little water in the Reservoir as we had such a hot summer.

Further up the side of the valley heading up to the famous Cat n Fiddle Rd.

At this point I turned off onto the original Roman road to Buxton. It was not too bad  but could have done with more aggressive tyres for this bit.

Thats it for today. A couple of hundred miles on the Triumph. I really enjoyed the bike and the ride. I told them I'm keeping the Triumph :-)

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Re: Borrowed bike and some famous sights.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 09:05:37 AM »
 :493:

Cheers Syntec, I really enjoyed looking at all your pics. I used to make regular collections from the old Liverpool Speake Airport back in the 80's, machined parts from the I.O.M. Lovely XRT...go for it...be a regular on here...you won't regret it! 
:001:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 09:10:34 AM by gordybrock »
I'm from Wigan Me

Offline kempy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 09:10:49 AM »

Tiger looks great, a nice upgrade from the KTM :)  and great pictures! - I'm in the High peak so recognise most places in your piccs.

Cheers

Online Bikerjimbob

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800xca
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 12:23:31 PM »
I have been here in Australia now for nearly five years and looking through your pictures made me just a little bit home sick  :161:
But then I looked at the weather forecast for tomorrow sunshine and 31 degrees so out on the tiger all day, soon got over the homesick feelings.
Great write up though and lovely pictures.
Cheers Jim

Offline jeffa

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 cbr600
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 03:43:12 PM »
Great to see someone comming to Liverpool for a day out and not slagging the place off, Great write up of your day trip, i have the same bike

Offline Stelyn

• Tiger Pro
  • 2018 XRx
  • Bike: Tiger XRX
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 03:55:10 PM »

:493:.......... :031:
`Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with  its head out of the car window '

Offline Silverstripes

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrt
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 04:40:01 PM »
 :460: and  :401:
It wasn't me !!

Offline herdygerdy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 17 White XRT
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 06:01:19 PM »
Great ride, great pics, gorgeous scenery and gorgeous bike.  What's not to love?  Sounds like your expired Katoom is soon to become dispensed with?

Thanks for posting, very nice indeed!

Offline davamb

• Tiger Pro
  • Today will be difficult, but tomorrow- good riding
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 03:42:22 AM »
+1 for all the above comments. Ditch the Kato, keep the Trumpy and stick around!
Cheers,
Dave

Offline rubberdown

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger xc
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 10:51:18 AM »
 :493: nice photos, nice little photo essay, Thanks.  :031:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch