Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Replace bearings fron wheel , how?  (Read 851 times)

Offline Rorut

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
Re: Replace bearings fron wheel , how?
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 05:37:38 PM »
Thanks a lot!
Anyone that can confirm the bearings are C3?

Online CB250G5

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 07:47:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rorut [+]
Thanks a lot!
Anyone that can confirm the bearings are C3?

I'd be surprised if they were C3. 

C3 bearings are used on things like cranks, which get hot & the extra clearance is used up by heat expansion.

Are yours C3, and do you know if they are original?
2015 Tiger 800 XRx, Yamaha RD350YPVS special, Yamaha TDR250 (being rebuilt), Yamaha SRX400 Super Single and a Voskhod 175

Offline Rorut

• Tiger Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 08:42:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by CB250G5 [+]
I'd be surprised if they were C3. 

C3 bearings are used on things like cranks, which get hot & the extra clearance is used up by heat expansion.

Are yours C3, and do you know if they are original?

Mine are C3, look at the pic. Would be great if someone else has the same?
Also found some kits containing C3 bearings for the tiger. Want to be sure...
(I did not put them in bought the wheels used and I dont know the history behind them)

6204DU NSK JAPAN C3
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:03:58 PM by Rorut »

Offline Rorut

• Tiger Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 07:00:06 PM »
Emailed triumph and got the answer that it should be:
I can confirm that the wheel bearings used on your model are 6204 DDU C3.
Triumph GB

Im buying SKF as a replacement from here:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F172207996668
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:01:47 PM by Rorut »

Offline Rorut

• Tiger Member
Re: Replace bearings fron wheel, how?
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 09:16:04 PM »
Did I damage the new bearings?

Just replaced front wheel bearings.
I first installed the bearing on the side together with the lock ring. Flipped the wheel and added the spacer that is between the bearings.

Continued with the other bearing and gently tapped that in and when it felt like it reached the bottom I tried but could not move the bearings. It seems like the spacer is jamming them together.

Next I maybe made a bad move. Used the puller and knocked the bearing out a bit. Only option on the inner ring which is not good. Both bearings now turns and the spacer can be moved inside just by hand.

How far in should that bearing be pressed? No signs or anything that tells when it should be in the correct position.

Any advise on this is appreciated
Thanks

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC,CB1300,Lverda
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 10:47:20 PM »
Assuming  the bearing has gone in  axially straight and the snap ring is slotted completely on the first bearing, then insert the second bearing so that the spacer has just the smallest amount of clearance to be able to move freely side-to-side within the wheel. Both inner bearing races should be able to be rotated freely with your fingers. Then you mount the wheel , screw in the axle with the front wheel aligned in the shocks correctly and torque the pinch bolts.
From your description it sound like you are ready to mount the wheel. I don't think you have damaged anything with the slight force to back out the bearing. If it feels ok when you turn them with your finger, that is a good sign.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:52:44 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline Rorut

• Tiger Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 11:29:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
Assuming  the bearing has gone in  axially straight and the snap ring is slotted completely on the first bearing, then insert the second bearing so that the spacer has just the smallest amount of clearance to be able to move freely side-to-side within the wheel. Both inner bearing races should be able to be rotated freely with your fingers. Then you mount the wheel , screw in the axle with the front wheel aligned in the shocks correctly and torque the pinch bolts.
From your description it sound like you are ready to mount the wheel. I don't think you have damaged anything with the slight force to back out the bearing. If it feels ok when you turn them with your finger, that is a good sign.
Thanks!
Yes axially straight and snap ring correct slotted.
Not easy to know when the second bearing has that perfect fit.
Now the spacer moves easily from side to side. But Im not confident to push it more making the same mistake again. And yes, bearings feels ok, like before installing them.
Just looked at the tool triumph offers for this job. A threaded rod with a flat holder/washer sort of thing on each side same size as the bearing and two nuts. That makes it come together exactly as much as it can whithout any stress on the bearings. It cant be overtightened that way I believe

Offline Rorut

• Tiger Member
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 08:17:52 AM »
How important is it that the text/markings on the bearing is towards the outside?

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC,CB1300,Lverda
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2018, 01:31:59 PM »
Dont worry, the bearings can go in either way. I think your done.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch