Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Tiger 800xc preload tension adjuster wrecked?  (Read 4579 times)

• Offline mercucio1

• Tiger Cub  ‐    11

Offline mercucio1

• Tiger Cub
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XC
    Re: Tiger 800xc preload tension adjuster wrecked?
    Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 08.57 am
    May 14, 2020, 08.57 am
    *Originally Posted by Guyver [+]
    Loads of WD-40 like you've already used and gentle turning side to side on the adjuster but. If it's stops moving, plenty more WD-40 and try again.

I have sprayed WD-40, rotate back and forward, sprayed again, left overnight and repeat the proces 6 times in a row until used entire can   :003:... still jammed  :157: :157: :157:

I am tempted to use very long breaker bar, but it sound wrong on 8mm bolt. What should I do? Any more tips? I do not want to break it.

• Offline Paulhere   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    2292

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XRx
    Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 10.09 am
    May 14, 2020, 10.09 am
    Need a good penetrating fluid like PB Blaster, PlusGas or Mechoil. WD40 do make a half decent penetrant but the ordinary WD40 is more of a cleaning fluid, not good as a penetrant.
    Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

• Offline rrrideadvgal   us

• Tiger Cub  ‐    4

Offline rrrideadvgal

• Tiger Cub
    • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger Xcx
    Reply #12 on: May 15, 2022, 09.03 am
    May 15, 2022, 09.03 am
    Mine also seems frozen. Where exactly should I spray the penetrant, in the Allen key spot?
    😊

• Offline markw

• Tiger Member  ‐    39

Offline markw

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: 2018 800XCA
    Reply #13 on: May 16, 2022, 10.55 am
    May 16, 2022, 10.55 am
    *Originally Posted by rrrideadvgal [+]
    Mine also seems frozen. Where exactly should I spray the penetrant, in the Allen key spot?
    Spray penetrator in/on the red area around the edge of the central hex screw on the Preload adjuster.
    Mine too was very stiff and I repeat sprayed it once a day for a couple of days before it started to loosen up!
    I used a small ratchet spanner with an 8” extension bar to reach and turn the adjuster hex screw.
    There are no “clicks” when turning the adjuster so I found it useful to mark the extension bar so I could clearly see when each full turn was complete.
    I believe 2018/19 bikes when new had the rear shock Preload set at 9 turns out (anti clockwise) from fully closed.
    But on second hand bikes it’s hard to say where a previous owner may have left it!
    Turning it fully open (anti clockwise) and the screw just stops turning, like it hit a wall. Fully closing it (clockwise) and it starts getting tighter and tighter to turn.

A note of caution though if you have a similar issue with the Rebound adjuster at the bottom of the shock, as it dose get a lot of crud thrown at it down there, it only has around 3˝ or 4 turns in it and again no “clicks”.
    With both adjusters, knowing what is just stiffness and what is reaching the end of the turning range is key!
    And yes I did over turn the bottom Rebound adjuster screw! Possibly the most expensive turn of a screw I’ve made! :430:
    Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 11.09 am by markw

• Offline rrrideadvgal   us

• Tiger Cub  ‐    4

Offline rrrideadvgal

• Tiger Cub
    • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger Xcx
    Reply #14 on: May 16, 2022, 04.28 pm
    May 16, 2022, 04.28 pm
     :763: Great description and pic.  Sooo helpful!

I really appreciate your sharing the experiences you had and the feel of the turns...

Wish me luck!  I will be extra cautious with that infamous screw

Renee R
    😊