Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Colorado Front Range Ride  (Read 182 times)

Offline RockyMtn800

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800 xrx
Colorado Front Range Ride
« on: September 23, 2018, 09:48:59 PM »
If you live in the Northern Colorado Front Range this is a ride worth the trouble. Start at the intersection of Colorado 72 & 93 between Boulder & Golden.  Take Highway 72 (Coal Creek Canyon) approximately 7 miles to Crescent Park Dr, turn right. This will become Gross Dam Rd.   This is a dirt road, varies from nearly 2 lanes to just wider that one lane, runs approximately 7 miles to Flag Staff Road. The middle section of this steep, winding road is washboard gravel but easily ridden with my stock XCx road tires. Turn right on to paved, twisty mountain road & drive another 6 miles to Boulder. You can end your trip there or if you have time take Highway 119 (Boulder Canyon) to Nederland. Go South out of Nederland back to the intersection with Highway 72 to close the loop.  The 3 mile section from Pinecliff to WonderVu climbs 700 feet in 5 hairpins of smooth, paved 2 lane road.  The turns are largely blind given the grade, if its rained recently beware of ball bearing like gravel in the corners. The whole trip is 70 miles (113 Km) & takes just about 2 hours, non-stop. The views of prairie and mountains are spectacular.  WonderVu is so named from its spectacular view of 50 miles of Continental Divide stretched out before you. I'm not much of a photographer & could not do it justice.   The aspens are turning to gold now & will peak in the next 7-10 days. This trip is best done during the week this time of year.  You can also take various dirt side roads off Colorado 119 to close the loop & change up the trip. Enjoy

Offline RockyMtn800

• Tiger Member
Re: Colorado Front Range Ride
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 09:50:32 PM »
My error, its a Xrx, completely stock

Online UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 12:10:34 PM »
A sunny day  and a ride through the Colorado aspen forests in the fall is a splendid time. For those looking for a good read featuring street and dual sport rides of all skill levels in Colorado I suggest:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Motorcycling-Colorado-Definitive/dp/1884313922

I have had the first edition since it was published. It is well organized and well written. One can rely on the authors ride descriptions regarding recommended bike and skill levels. He covers almost every county in Colorado with more detail than most riders will require but the information is there. There are not many changes in the second edition so if you can find a first edition at a low price, go for it.

Usual disclaimer: I have bought both editions at full price and am not is any way affiliated with the books sales.

Offline RockyMtn800

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 12:00:17 AM »
Thanks for the information!

Recent Topics