Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Running rough about 6000 revs  (Read 215 times)

Offline Leondog

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Running rough about 6000 revs
« on: October 11, 2018, 08:21:41 PM »
Hello,

Not sure what's going on with my bike but it feels really rough above 6000 revs, now done 15k and had 12k when I bought it a couple of months ago.

The garage I bought it from thought it was the CCT due to the noise it makes when accelerating so they ordered and  fitted a new one which made no difference, they then took it back and checked the valves for tolerances
which were all fine, inspected the cam chain which was tight, took the exhaust system off and refitted it and tightened the headers to the correct torque. Fitted new spark plugs and air filter while in there.

When I accelerate once it gets to 5.5 / 6 and beyond it starts to sound very much like the tappets are trying to dance their way out the head, a bit like an angry sewing machine as previous post mentioned.
A vibration through the pegs becomes very noticeable and it doesn't seem to pull as strongly as it did when I first got it.  A couple of times I have gone out on it and there has been no noise nor noticeable vibration above 6k (well apart from the usual motorbike racket) the next time it's back which is rather confusing.

I have noticed it has a much more noticeable snap crackle & pop from the exhaust when it's having one of its moments which isn't hardly as loud when its running smoothly and the "moment" lasts the whole ride.

Any ideas what to check next?, the 3mth warranty has a month left and I'd rather the garage pay for anything and avoid having to pay another garage the hourly labour & parts cost if I can avoid it.

Any help / ideas would be gladly appreciated.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 08:24:33 PM by Leondog »

Offline philmcglass

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger 800 2013
Re: Running rough about 6000 revs
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 08:38:51 PM »
I've heard that throttle imbalance can cause rough running.
No idea if it is rpm related.
Just a thought.
Find the Line

Online taff

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 09:22:49 PM »
its under warranty.

take it to the dealer, give them the key and say that you'll pick it up once they've diagnosed and fixed it. otherwise you'll accept a refund.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC,CB1300,Lverda
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 09:34:08 PM »
Your comment about  noise from exhaust indicates an incorrect mixture which would lead to a check of the fuel injectors, fuel supply/pump and fuel contamination.

Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline prenticemarie

• Tiger Master
  • Hinckley Triples - Moto2 GP for 2019 !
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 05:38:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by philmcglass [+]
I've heard that throttle imbalance can cause rough running ....
"philmcglass" is spot on ... accurate throttle balance can solve this problem .... cured my 2013 Roadie OK ...  :031:
My My, How Time Flies ... From BSA DBD34 Gold Star To Tiger 800 Road ... 1959 - 2018 !

Recent Topics