Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Trip to Gibraltar  (Read 346 times)

Offline Cumbria_Paul

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCX
Trip to Gibraltar
« on: October 14, 2018, 10:13:09 PM »
Hi,

As my daughters live in Gibraltar Im planning a trip next year to visit on my xcx. Ive been to France before on a DR650 but only as far as Brittany. Any advice, route choices appreciated. Whats the best crossing these days given destination? Looking at at least two weeks away so no rush. Also camping vs budget hotel? I have all the camping gear already but sometimes a decent bed....Seen some awesome roads through Portugal, worthy of a diversion? Thanks for any feedback!
Mid life crisis? Nah just the usual lifelong one :)

Online steve@lincs

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Re: Trip to Gibraltar
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 11:46:38 PM »
You are spoilt for choice really,  the overnight ferry to santander or Bilboa is good, a bit pricey, but you save on time, fuel, hotels and potential wet drive through france!

There is so much to see enroute, picos,  leon salamanca. I thought Seville was incredible and lots of roman architecture.
Spanish roads are generally good motorwyas are mostly free and if there is a toll, there is a perfectly good non motorway alongside.

If you go through France, there is a blanket 90km speed limit on all but toll roads.  But again interesting things enroute and over the pyrennes into Spain.

One tip you may know, there are long queues into Gib from spain, but car drivers motioned us on when we called in last year, so dont be afraid to do a bit of filtering!

Good luck,  cumbria paul, youlucky man!

Online bucksfizz

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 04:14:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by steve@lincs [+]

If you go through France, there is a blanket 90km speed limit on all but toll roads.

There was a 90kph limit, until the French government decided to reduce the speed limit to 80kph.
See https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/speed-limits-in-france/.
It's going to catch out quite a few people.

Offline Cumbria_Paul

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCX
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 04:32:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]
There was a 90kph limit, until the French government decided to reduce the speed limit to 80kph.
See https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/speed-limits-in-france/.
It's going to catch out quite a few people.

Cheers for that, looks like I also need a clean air sticker in place if go to certain cities....least its pretty inexpensive  :211:  Maybe the ferry direct to Spain is a looking a better choice, mind you the cost of that, I have flown to Gib and back for half that before ! :232:
Mid life crisis? Nah just the usual lifelong one :)

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 05:34:03 PM »
We went down to Gib this year, got off the Santander boat at 3pm ish on the Sunday and got to Gib at a similar time on Monday.
Used motorways and stopped in Salamanca Sunday evening.
Apart from Salamanca (and a speeding fine  :001: ) it was predictably boring but that was our plan so we had the time to take a more scenic route back to Bilbao.

If it's good roads you're looking for, you won't go far wrong and your instinct about Portugal is spot on.
We came back via the roads around Ronda and Granada before skipping cross country into Portugal around the Serra de So.
After exploring there we headed North to (now don't tell anyone about this place  :002: ) Serra da Estrela.
After that it was following the Douro river up to Bragana and then into the Picos for a couple of days - all stunning

The Serra da Estrela @2000m

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 08:44:44 AM »
Rtwo, fantastic bit of road.........

Recent Topics

winded-staunch