Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dealerships close their doors...  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Tiger Master
Dealerships close their doors...
« on: October 15, 2018, 06:12:28 PM »
Sad to see the following list of dealers gone to the wall in recent weeks. Think the industry is struggling at the moment    :006:

South Coast Honda in Chichester closed its doors without warning on 30 September.
Metropolis Motorcycles London closed 28th September (Barnet also closed back in April)
Bikers World in Daventry (aka Suzuki Midlands) closed Oct 14th
Riders of Cardiff To close in Nov

On a side note Hughenden M40 is not closing (amid speculation). They simply gave up their Triumph francise at the end of Sept and are now an independent.
Need Support ? Post issues in this section: Forum Help / Issues / Problems
Alternatively, pm me about private or commercial issues/questions.

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Dealerships close their doors...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 06:21:09 PM »
Bike buyers are dying off and not being replaced, there'll be more dealers to go.
And there won't be the 'born again bikers' for 25 years down the line either.

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Bikerjimbob

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800xca
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 07:55:04 PM »
That's really sad news so many great bike shops closing, the only good news is Hughendons are staying open, they were my local bike shop for many years until I moved to Australia almost five years ago now.
One of our local bike shops here in Australia has stopped selling Triumph motorcycles I don't know why but at least they are still open.
I guess it's down to us slightly older bikers to buy more bikes and goodies, it will be tough but someone's got to do it. :152:

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 08:21:11 PM »
I imagine that a lot of it is down to what the manufacturers expect from a dealer, all shining glass and metal showrooms. I did wonder how long before Hughenden lost their franchise one way or another and I can imagine that demands from Triumph had a lot to do with them giving it up.
Glad that they are staying open though as they seem to be one of the better places to deal with.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 08:21:19 PM »
Bought my 1050 from Hughenden.  Helpful guys.  Even let me use the workshop so I could fit my lowering links then helped me push the bike to the road across 4" of snow.  Thankfully road was clear!!
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Online coddy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 08:39:26 PM »
It would be interesting to see how bike sales are now to say 5 or 10 years ago. I know wages haven't gone up in recent years and Brexit will compound that situation and affect new bike sales but I keep reading that Adventure Bike and Retro/Classic bikes sales are soaring. Is everyone avoiding dealerships and buying private to save a few quid?

Offline JMc

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger800
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 01:26:15 PM »
I can't say I am surprised by this news, most dealerships i have been into over the last few years have been dire in terms of customer service, recently when looking to replace the Tiger I found that they were unlikely to call you back after an enquiry or sometimes even come and talk to you in the showroom to find out a little about you soas to offer you something you would like, it was more of a "well..we have these or these, let me know if you want to buy" you would of thought that spending >10k would at least of got them off their seats....

in the end I bought from an independent who was interested, made coffee and sorted out all the details for me etc. with a smile on his face.  :001:

Jmc

Offline Grumps

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 02:00:21 PM »
 :0461:

I tried sevral Midlands based Triumph dealers and heard nothing.

Rang Steve Wragg at Chesterfield and had a video of the bike I wanted on my email within 10 mins. Bought two bikes off him. The other for my son who wanted a Sprint GT
2018 Xca. BMW K1600GTL. Suzuki GT380

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline T-Rever

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 02:08:22 PM »
'Coddy', can you tell me how 'Brexit will affect new bike sales?..

Offline petesear

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRT
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 02:11:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by T-Rever [+]
'Coddy', can you tell me how 'Brexit will affect new bike sales?..

+1?

Recent Topics

winded-staunch