Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dealerships close their doors...  (Read 2537 times)

Offline prenticemarie

• Tiger Master
  • Moto2 GP - Hinckley Triples from 2019 !
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
Re: Dealerships close their doors...
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 05:12:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Admin [+]
Sad to see the following list of dealers gone to the wall in recent weeks. Think the industry is struggling at the moment ...    :006:
Surely part of the problem is the rising cost of bikes which puts them out of reach for many, unless they want to get involved with Personal Leasing.
Triumph prices have sky rocketed over the last few years as they fill their bikes with technology .... some of which we may not want  :110:

Royal Enfield may be on to something with their new range of reasonably priced bikes ... discuss  :187:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 05:14:17 PM by prenticemarie »
My My, How Time Flies ... 60 Years ... From BSA DBD34 Gold Star To Tiger 800 Road ... 1959 - 2019 !

Offline DJ Steve

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger XRT 17
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 06:52:36 PM »
I heard from a reliable source that Harley Davidson are losing out as when they sell a bike on P C P the customer is reluctant to spend more money on extras.Hence the dealer sitting with goodies they can't sell. I suppose its the same for most franchisees.

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 07:20:46 PM »
I suspect that Triumph have stuffed their dealerships (in respect to loss of work) when it comes to fixing their servicing costs at such a rediculously high rate.

Offline Bikerjimbob

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800xca
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 07:50:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by tvaff [+]
I suspect that Triumph have stuffed their dealerships (in respect to loss of work) when it comes to fixing their servicing costs at such a rediculously high rate.

I couldn't agree more the servicing prices are crazy it's made me do all my own (thanks muddysump) especially as this is to be my last new bike I will buy it will see me out for sure.
 :031: jim

Offline herdygerdy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 17 White XRT
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 10:00:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bikerjimbob [+]
I couldn't agree more the servicing prices are crazy it's made me do all my own (thanks muddysump) especially as this is to be my last new bike I will buy it will see me out for sure.
 :031: jim

Totally agree.  That said, I do fully understand and appreciate that for some, servicing your own bike is just not a door they wish to open. 

But...when I picked mine up after it's very first service (AU$374 IIRC, thanks very much!), another fellow T800 rider was collecting his after a 20k kms service and had laid out AU$1,100 - Ouch.  (and yes, all valve clearances were within spec, of course!)

In my book $1,100 sure buys a lot of OEM tools me thinks and I can then take my time and learn about this as I go. 

And the benefits of folks on this and other forums who are ready, willing and able to share their considerable experience working on these bikes to help those of us willing to venture down that road to mechanical  enlightenment and understanding is of inestimable value.  Thank you one and all.

Together we become more competent, confident and skilled at servicing these amazing machines and can take responsibility for our own destiny. 

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 01:27:51 PM »
Adventure bikes are getting more sophisticated and therefore expensive, Triumph are trying to keep up with the likes of BMW (more expensive) and KTM/ Honda/ Yamaha (same price, or cheaper), bikes no longer appeal to youngsters like they did, both lead to a dwindling market.

Servicing costs are set at an advised level by the manufacturers, but I can get mine serviced at my local dealers for a lot less than people in and around London, who have higher rates and wage bills to pay, so yes, your dealer is at least partly responsible.

p.s. Brexiteers are delusional fools, car manufacturers have been making their concerns known all along, bikes will be next ....................... in my opinion  :138:
Now available in "Batman"

Offline NORTY

• Tiger Master
  • RiderCoach
  • Bike: 2012 800XC
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2018, 07:44:57 PM »
Here in SoCal, we've had numerous Triumph dealerships come AND go.

Their closings are all from the same thing.

Triumph Ltd. has put so many demands, that cost money, it makes little business sense to continue with Triumph. Especially when there's very little payback due to increased market share. Triumph isn't HarleyD. (And I'm glad they're not!)
MSF RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!) :)

Offline T-Rever

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2018, 08:01:13 PM »
I bet that there are many 'Brexiteers desperate to answer 'Dilbert's derogitary remarks, but are sensibly enough to hold their counsel..

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2018, 01:19:27 PM »
My last three bikes have been Triumph Tigers (800-1050-Tex) and the current Tex is on PCP, as is mine and my wife's car, the advantage is lower monthly payments, the disadvantage is that you never actually own the bike/ car, so in a way it's a lot like leasing.

All three have been from and serviced by Staffordshire Triumph, who remain as daft and amenable as ever, the Tex has just been in for its first (free) MOT, all good apart from new rear brake pads, sorted while I waited, chatted to other owners and the staff, perused new and used bikes and drank their coffee from a comfy chair  :028:

Bike sales are slowing now due to winter, those dealers who are struggling will be hit more by seasonal dips and whatever befalls us next spring, already hearing that the chief money grabber is empowering HMRC to pick subcontractor's pockets again, it's got to be easier than getting Google, Amazon, et al to pay up, so I know I won't be buying a new bike next year.

There's a bigger gap than ever between what bike manufacturers are wanting for new bikes and what people can actually afford and I don't see how that's going to change anytime soon, pay is stagnant (unless you're a judge/ MP) especially in the public sector, personally I think more people are going to be putting off servicing, going "off-dealership" and hanging on to their bikes longer, none of which is going to make dealers any richer.

Still, we're going to be getting a new 50p, so that's alright then  :138:
Now available in "Batman"

Offline D8ona

• Tiger Jedi
  • I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Bike: 865 Scrambler
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2018, 06:29:17 PM »
"the disadvantage is that you never actually own the bike/ car, so in a way it's a lot like leasing"

For info... If you want to pay off the GMV at the end of the PCP agreement you are legally entitled to do so if you wish. Either through the existing finance provider rewriting the agreement for another 24 - 36 months on standard hp ( not all do eg Black Horse will not as they want you to go back to the dealer and sign up again... and again... and again ) or by bank loan or personal savings. I know folks that have even drawn down credit on 24months zero %  credit card offers. I refinanced the GMV on my Ford Ranger 2years ago year over 36 months straight hp through the existing provider Ford Credit and no end value/ balloon as couldn't see the point in changing. If you want to keep your existing bike you can and to be honest can anyone tell a 2015 BMW 3 series v a 2018 BMW 3 series?? The whole PCP system will likely play a major factor in the next recession as car dealers go pop with the increasingly rushed shift to electric
There's someone in my head but its not me..?
Ducati MTS 950 - Monster 1100 Evo - Thruxton 1200 - Scrambler 900 - 1998 Daytona 900 - 1997 Ducati ST2

Recent Topics